cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freshwater tank release valve leak

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank release valve on my RV is leaking where it connects into the tank itself. Anyone have an idea how these are held in? It is in the bottom of the tank at the low point.
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s
4 REPLIES 4

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the valve is not lined up straight with the fitting. What ever is screwed into the tank fitting could be cross threaded and now starting to leak. Another though is you could have caught the valve on something or road debris hit the valve and started ripping the connection loose.

If the threads are damaged I'd clean them up as best I could to get rid of any thread imperfections and use about 3 wraps of Teflon tape to make the connection again. If it still leaked I clean up the male and female threads with a toothbrush and some alcohol and reseal using clear silicone on the threads. This is one of the rare times that I would ever use silicone.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like the threads are leaking to me as well.
I would remove it and clean the threads out. Then I would use some pipe dope to seal it back up rather than teflon tape because the latter may require too much torque to install.

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
The 'white' tank connection is 'Spun Welded' into tank. High speed tool spins the fitting melting the tank material and inserts it while plastic is hot. When material cools fitting is welded into tank

The 'black' fitting is screwed into threaded section of the 'white' connection

POLY Plastic weld repair kits available

Thanks
Looks like the threaded part is what is leaking. Headed out for a few days and when I get back I will tear into it.
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 'white' tank connection is 'Spun Welded' into tank. High speed tool spins the fitting melting the tank material and inserts it while plastic is hot. When material cools fitting is welded into tank

The 'black' fitting is screwed into threaded section of the 'white' connection

POLY Plastic weld repair kits available
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31