Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer brake advice

SailorGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

Just purchased a 2015 Outdoor RV 20FQ (4400 dry/6200 GVW). I need to tow it home (35 miles). I currently have a 2008 F150 V8 pickup which I will replace next month with a newer truck. Current F150 has factory tow package (hitch, 7pin, transmission cooler and 36 gallon gas tank) but no trailer brake controller.

I don’t want to tow the trailer home without trailer brakes but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on the truck since I will be selling it next month. One option I found was the Curtis 7pin plug in trailer brake controller which uses an iPhone app to configure the controller. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Alternatively I could have the local hitch shop install an after market controller at a cost of $300 to $400. I’m pretty handy. Could I buy a controller at Amazon and install it myself? How hard is it to install?

The trailer seller is including the WDH he used to pull the trailer so he and I will set this up when I pick up the trailer.

I rented a similar trailer last month for a week and used the rental companies WDH and wireless brake controller since my truck doesn’t have a trailer brake controller. The rental trailer towed fine.

Advice/recommendations?

TIA
SailorGuy
33 REPLIES 33

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but common sense should tell you that it’s not a good idea.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
1. Overconfident Drivers

2. Collisions with Parked Vehicles

3. Fatigue

4. Blame it on the Booze

5. Rush Hour

6. Underage driving
Great list!
Make an effort to avoid these and OP should be fine for a few miles.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't imagine telling a kid's parents "The net said I didn't need brakes for a short trip."
Or the mirror.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:
only 35 miles???

Geez,

Put on some pants and drive it home! What;s the big deal? 35 miles?? Just go a little slower, you will eventually make it home,
It's not like you are driving across the country, over mountain passes...

Really?
+1
I would just drive slow and keep your distance.
A few times I have forgot to connect the 7-pin and drove for an hour before I even noticed.

Absolutely terrible "advice".

You DO realize that MANY accidents often happen close to home?

Just a couple of "examples" I easily found discussing this.

Here

"The NHTSA reports that approximately 52 percent of all accidents occur within a five-mile radius of home and 69 percent of all car accidents occur within a ten-mile radius from home. While these car accident statistics seem rather discouraging, there is no reason to give up driving altogether. A car accident survey conducted by Progressive Insurance Company reveals that, while most car accidents occur close to home, these accidents tend to be minor compared to auto accidents that tend to occur farther from home and on busy highways and interstates."

Here

"Back in 2001, Progressive insurance conducted research with over 11,000 people & found that over 52% of reported crashes occurred within five miles from home and 77% of accidents occurred within a 15-mile distance. Two decades later, the latest accident statistics from the NHTSA paints a pretty similar picture.

While there has been a steady drop in the frequencies of car accidents and subsequent serious injuries, the overall tendencies of accidents happening close to home is stressful for several reasons, including:

Residential neighborhoods in the United States are assumed to be pedestrian-friendly zones where kids, elderly people, disabled people are guaranteed a safe environment. An uptick in distracted driving and accidents closer to home puts all these people at risk.
Car crashes in residential areas near a driver’s home are sure to disturb the peace and quiet of the neighborhood and disrupt the lives of residents.
These types of auto accidents are bound to drive down real estate prices within neighborhoods experiencing car accidents on a frequent basis, which subsequently affects homeowners and their abilities to make the most out of their lucrative investments.

Why are People Less Attentive Near Their Homes?
1. Overconfident Drivers

One of the most obvious reasons for frequent accidents close to home is the fact that drivers become overconfident and essentially drive in autopilot when in their comfort zones. There is a tendency for texting, multitasking, not wearing a seat belt, sending emails, dialing a call, or eating a snack while coming back home or leaving home early in the morning, which can lead to an accident.

It’s always imperative that drivers stay alert even when they’re within a few miles of home.
2. Collisions with Parked Vehicles

Parked vehicles along the side of the road in residential neighborhoods can be both victims as well as perpetrators of car accidents close to home, or anywhere. A poorly parked car that isn’t aligned with the designated parking area is simply inviting trouble for the owner because of the general tendencies for drivers to go into autopilot while on familiar roads.

On the other hand, a stationary car is in no way capable of avoiding an oncoming car and can lead to a collision without having done anything wrong. The liability within these types of auto accidents can be somewhat tricky, which is why hiring an experienced car accident attorney is so crucial for your case’s success.
3. Fatigue

Most car accidents that occur within residential areas are not a result of speeding, as speed limits are strictly established and enforced in the United States. However, one factor that cannot be accounted for is the mental state while someone is distracted driving. Long working hours and the subsequent physical and mental exhaustion from work can lead to a lack of attention that is needed for safe driving and can lead to minor or even fatal accidents.
4. Blame it on the Booze

It’s rather common for people to avoid freeways and prefer drinking at a bar or a friend’s place near home when they go out to drink and choose to drive to the destination. While this reduces the chances of an accident on the freeway, it does not rule out late-night drunk driving back home after a wildly successful party. DUIs lead to an estimated 16,000 fatal accidents every year, which is about 40% of the total motor vehicle fatality rate in the United States.
5. Rush Hour

Even the safest drivers are victims of rush hour traffic and are always looking for ways to avoid getting caught in it via their cell phones. This can tend to lead to some early morning rash driving, as people try to beat the 8 a.m. traffic snarl.

However, it often ends up causing more damage in the form of an accident right in your own neighborhood.
6. Underage driving

Residential areas are also where kids with no drivers licenses are often seen driving. This could be a result of some very successful sneaking from the kids or a dangerous indulgence granted by the parents.

Either way, these kids potentially make neighborhood roads dangerous as they are not physically and mentally capable of safe driving."

Much better to be prepared for "Mr Murphy" when he comes calling, you CAN easily find very low cost Time based controllers for around $30 which are better than "nothing" at all..

Not hard to install, brake light connection (hint, third brake light is a easy place to get the brake light connection), power connection and run a wire back to your hitch and done, doesn't have to be permanent or pretty.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
tewitt1949 wrote:
I would tow it home with out brakes or plug in and see if they work. If the brakes and don't lock up the tires it shouldn't hurt anything. Many trailers brakes won't lock up even with max voltage. With out a controller, your brakes will either be on or off.

Sir, you should learn about this subject before giving advice to others.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
only 35 miles???

Geez,

Put on some pants and drive it home! What;s the big deal? 35 miles?? Just go a little slower, you will eventually make it home,

Really?
+1
I would just drive slow and keep your distance.
A few times I have forgot to connect the 7-pin and drove for an hour before I even noticed.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that nobody has mentioned the fact that it is illegal to tow a trailer of that weight with no brakes. Maybe not a problem unless you get in an accident. If you get in an accident, it could be a big problem.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
OP must have solved the problem since he hasn't checked back in here since his original question.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
only 35 miles???

Geez,

Really?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
tewitt1949 wrote:
I would tow it home with out brakes or plug in and see if they work. If the brakes and don't lock up the tires it shouldn't hurt anything. Many trailers brakes won't lock up even with max voltage. With out a controller, your brakes will either be on or off.

Are you sure? When I unplug and remove the controller from my '69 El Camino, then plugged into trailer to check lights I had no power to the brake wire.

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry Witt

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I accidentally towed my trailer 230 km without the umbilical plugged in.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
You absolutely can do it yourself, it's easy.

For a tow home buy the cheapest time based controller you can find. The install is pretty much plug and play. Here's a $37 controller plus a $15 pig tail to plug it into the truck.

Link

Link

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
offer the seller 100 bucks to bring it to you? or install a cheap controller for around that price
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....