cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lite roof rack options

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an old 1996 Northern Lite that I need to mount roof-racks (cross-bars) onto, to carry surfboards, skis, etc.

Northern Lite makes a boat rack which would be ideal, but after tax and shipping I'd be looking at about $800 plus my install time.

Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives?
I've looked at the Thule and Yakima gutter systems (ie., high towers attached to artificial gutters mounted to the side of the camper) but the problem seems to be getting bars wide enough! (The camper seems to be about 96" wide)

Is there an obvious option I'm missing, or does it come down to factory vs custom fabrication?
10 REPLIES 10

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many good fabricators, finding the right one most likely would be further out in the country with less overhead and not so hurried. You could have a nice built to fit the way you want out of something that's not a rust bomb. Either stainless or aluminum is best.

I have had numerous items made by a great company that is hard to beat the price and quality. I show them a plan that I draw and it's always right and beautiful... made way better than some mass production outfit that cuts the quality and has a retailer mark up the price to you.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
So, go with Unistrut or Powerstrut a bit longer than the width of the camper and use their brackets to mount to the side walls, just below the roof edge. There will be a purlin thee to attach to anyway.

That eliminates holes in your roof and water intrusion and as an FYI. they both come in extruded aluminum and I think stainless if your wallet can handle that. You'll have to special order the non ferrous stuff from Grainger or direct from Unistrut in Wayne, Michigan.

AQlways more than one way to skin a feline.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, at this point in time I'm looking for roof rack options that do not involve drilling into the roof.

Thanks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
You could glue the track to the top of your Northern Lite. There isn't any reason you'd have to drill a hole.

That sounds scary

I'd just drill it if it was mine. People drill boats below waterline. I'm assuming that's harder to keep from leaking than your roof. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I've considered Sikaflexing tracks to the roof, but it makes me a bit nervous -- at 100km/hr with a canoe on the roof I could see a lot of potential upward lift. I'm aware that people do it, though.

To further complicate things, there's not a lot of room on the roof for tracks (with vent lids, sewage vents, fridge vent, etc).

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
You could glue the track to the top of your Northern Lite. There isn't any reason you'd have to drill a hole.

That sounds scary
2015 Backpack SS1500

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The obvious option is to either trundle down to Lowes or Home Depot (or the Internet) and check out some Unistrut or Powerstrut (both made by Unistrut. It comes in any length you need and has a multitude of tie down and securement options.

Yakima and Thule stuff is way to expensive and it's preppy which is probably why it costs what it does.
2015 Backpack SS1500

jamesinkster
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I should have clarified -- as I live in a rainforest I'm hoping to avoid drilling through the roof at all costs. So, I'm looking for some kind of side-mount option.

thanks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd go with Yakima Control Tracks which have bars up to 86".