cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on this winterization detail

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I winterized my new 2014 Bullet TT last year after it's first season in 2015 successfully by using pink antifreeze that I pumped through system with a winterizing hand pump connected to the city water hookup. I had never used the fresh water tank my first year and there was no water in it. This year, I am getting ready to winterize and I did use the fresh water tank a few times as well as the city water hookup on other occasions. My question is even though I have emptied the tank and the low water drain for my fresh water tank, do I need to do anything to that tank and the water pump since I plan to again pump pink stuff through my city water hookup to all the faucets, toilet, shower and outside shower as I did last year. Having used the fresh water tank and water pump this year but currently tank is empty, is there any water still in the pump that could cause damage even though tank is empty? I am planning to winterize just through my city water hookup and want to insure that there is not another step needed for my fresh water tank and pump. Thanks for your advice!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
13 REPLIES 13

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
I use the pump as well for winterizing. Its much easier than using a hand pump. I have always wondered if there was any water in the pickup line from the pump to the fresh water tank so I either run the pump to pull any the might be in the line or put some antifreeze in there and pump it just to be safe. I typically just dump some extra in the black tank and the grey gets enough from flushing out the lines. Don't forget the outside shower if you have one.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I use the pump to run the antifreeze through the entire system so the antifreeze is in the pump. By running each faucet you are putting antifreeze down the drain and into the tanks.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget you have to do all the p traps in the drains. I use cheap windshield washer anti freeze.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Great! Thanks! (You're right, no gray tank flush system - yet!) 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
kknowlton wrote:
Re: the black tank flush - will putting some pink stuff down in the black tank accomplish this purpose, or should something else be done as well? And wouldn't the gray tank flush have the same situation?

Yes you can pump some anti-freeze thru black tank flush connection..wouldn't take much just enough to fill pipe up to anti siphon vacuum breaker device

As for grey tank.....same thing IF ...IF some one installed a flush system ------aftermarket item
OEM haven't seen one but mfg. should. Grey tanks can STINK!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Re: the black tank flush - will putting some pink stuff down in the black tank accomplish this purpose, or should something else be done as well? And wouldn't the gray tank flush have the same situation?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
If you have a black tank flush, you need to winterize it with air or antifreeze as it is separate from the rest of your water system. If you don't and it has a low spot in it where the water in it won't drain from, it will freeze, break and then leak water next year.

Bill

I read about this somewhere on this forum and blew mine out today. Never too old to learn something. Thanks.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pump can have water trapped inside pump and in discharge line

After doing the anti-freeze thru city water crack open pump discharge fitting and let it drip out (towel under neath or pie tin) and pump a little bit more anti-freeze in

Then tighten pump discharge fitting

Thanks Biscuit!
Equalizer E2 hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I disconnect the outlet line from the pump and run it about 30 seconds. This gets any water out and empties the inlet as well.
Running the pump dry does no harm.

Great! Makes sense. Thanks for the tip!
Equalizer E2 hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
If you have a black tank flush, you need to winterize it with air or antifreeze as it is separate from the rest of your water system. If you don't and it has a low spot in it where the water in it won't drain from, it will freeze, break and then leak water next year.

Bill

Thanks Bill, but mine doesn't have the flush system.
Equalizer E2 hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I disconnect the outlet line from the pump and run it about 30 seconds. This gets any water out and empties the inlet as well.
Running the pump dry does no harm.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump can have water trapped inside pump and in discharge line

After doing the anti-freeze thru city water crack open pump discharge fitting and let it drip out (towel under neath or pie tin) and pump a little bit more anti-freeze in

Then tighten pump discharge fitting
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31