cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shoppping for a new trailer

Candie4749
Explorer
Explorer
We have been shopping for our next trailer for a few months now and already know that we want a Jayco Jay Flight 34RSBS. There are four Jayco dealers in our area and they are about fifty miles apart. Two of the dealers have one on their lot the other two have one on order. The surprising thing is the difference in price for the same exact unit with the same options. One dealers quote was over $6,000 higher than the others, one was about $1,000 higher and the other two were the same. I'm glad we checked things out this time. Moral of the story shop other dealers to make sure you are receiving the best price.
7 REPLIES 7

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
jspringator wrote:
Some Dealer RV prices are pure fantasy. I searched Winnebago Sightseer 27c, my motor home, to see if it had been mentioned anywhere.

I found 2 for sale, both around $28,000. They are worth about $15,000, approximately what I paid once you account for the ebay sales price (actual value) of my trade in, verses double the amount they supposedly gave me on trade. It is all mumbo jumbo. You have to know the actual value of your trade and what your unit is actually selling for. Ebay is a good place to start.

Isn't there a rule of thumb about 1/3 off list price?

Yes.. 30% off list or MSRP is achievable most of the time. Find a dealer that will do it
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Some Dealer RV prices are pure fantasy. I searched Winnebago Sightseer 27c, my motor home, to see if it had been mentioned anywhere.

I found 2 for sale, both around $28,000. They are worth about $15,000, approximately what I paid once you account for the ebay sales price (actual value) of my trade in, verses double the amount they supposedly gave me on trade. It is all mumbo jumbo. You have to know the actual value of your trade and what your unit is actually selling for. Ebay is a good place to start.

Isn't there a rule of thumb about 1/3 off list price?
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Candie4749
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the asking price doesn't really matter. It's the price you actually pay and the service you receive AFTER you purchase the RV.

The pricing we received is out the door. We have purchased trailers from two of these dealers in the past so we know all about their service after the sale.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Candie4749 wrote:
Moral of the story shop other dealers to make sure you are receiving the best price.

Not necessarily, as price is only part of the equation. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yep, the asking price doesn't really matter. It's the price you actually pay and the service you receive AFTER you purchase the RV.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Try to negotiate to have your warranty start in the spring, if that's when you will start to use the unit

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen he same thing with the local Arctic Fox / Nash dealer in Spokane, WA. Their prices are significantly higher than the AF / Nash dealers in the Tacoma, WA area.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Candie4749 wrote:
Moral of the story shop other dealers to make sure you are receiving the best price.

Not necessarily, as price is only part of the equation. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380