Did you mean:ย 

Latest F150 Recall (Transmission)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
This would be very scary!
F150 Recall
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
16 REPLIES 16

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Thanks for the call out... And Fish says with his '12 Ford Super Duty with 163k miles, 5k engine hours and ~7 years old with not a single safety recall I sleep good at night. :C

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls
Recall Number
11V582000
Recall Date
12/08/2011
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary
FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 F-150 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 9, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 22, 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2012 F-250, F-350, F-450 AND F-550 HEAVY DUTY VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 12, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 22, 2011. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER 114, THEFT PROTECTION. THE TRANSMISSION CAN BE SHIFTED OUT OF THE PARK POSITION WITHOUT PRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL DUE TO BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK SWITCH PROBLEM.

Consequence
THIS WILL ALLOW THE OPERATOR TO INADVERTENTLY SHIFT THE VEHICLE INTO GEAR WITHOUT THE BRAKE PEDAL BEING DEPRESSED, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH OR INJURY TO A NEARBY PEDESTRIAN.

What Owners Should Do
FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK SWITCH FUNCTION AND REPLACE THE SWITCH IF NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 22, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/FORD/F-250%252520SUPER%252520CREW/PU%25252FCC/4x4
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
UH, no topic baiting at all as everyone has recalls. But when confronted I WILL respond in kind.

ONLY โ€œBAITINGโ€ I was doing was the โ€œFISHโ€

So can we let it go???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You have to be oblivious to actually have the steering nut issue become a catastrophic failure. A transmission that SUDDENLY drops to 1st now that's a whole different animal.

FYI simply look at the under front of your truck, grab ahold of the "NUTS" and see if you can loosen them. left one is RH threads. Grab a couple wrenches and tight them up if it makes you feel better.

Transmission failure not much can be done to prevent it!

Mine is tight at 65k, I did have an alignment that required the nuts to be loosened to re center the wheel. He used two wrenches with long handles.

BTW all I did was ask "FISH" what his thoughts on the trans recall was and here we are.

So you baited the topic and now confounded on the replies. I commend you that checking your steering linkage is part of your pre-drive tasks. Not everyone is so thorough.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Long winter, if y'all are trying to pick fights over vehicle recalls!
Anyone in the PNW who is bored to tears, I have plenty of projects, if you're handy, to keep your mind off the gloomy weather.
BTW I offer free rv parking with water and power. And you can dump your gray water in the yard!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Well you finally replied โ€œFISHโ€. I will take a loose nut any day over this HUGE recall.

By the way my โ€œNUTSโ€ are TIGHT!

What do you consider a huge recall? You consider things like the brake pedal falling off or complete loss of steering "little" recalls?

You have to be oblivious to actually have the steering nut issue become a catastrophic failure. A transmission that SUDDENLY drops to 1st now that's a whole different animal.

FYI simply look at the under front of your truck, grab ahold of the "NUTS" and see if you can loosen them. left one is RH threads. Grab a couple wrenches and tight them up if it makes you feel better.

Transmission failure not much can be done to prevent it!

Mine is tight at 65k, I did have an alignment that required the nuts to be loosened to re center the wheel. He used two wrenches with long handles.

BTW all I did was ask "FISH" what his thoughts on the trans recall was and here we are.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Well you finally replied โ€œFISHโ€. I will take a loose nut any day over this HUGE recall.

What do you consider a huge recall? You consider things like the brake pedal falling off or complete loss of steering "little" recalls?

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
In an attempt to stay on topic, my 2012 F150 work truck will be subject to this recall. It is a great truck, but I have noticed some "weird" shifting at times, although nothing like what this would be.

With respect to my 2013 Ram 3500, I can guarantee there won't be any welding of the jam nuts....;)
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"FISH" what say you??

Thanks for the call out... And Fish says with his '12 Ford Super Duty with 163k miles, 5k engine hours and ~7 years old with not a single safety recall I sleep good at night. :C

Oh and as a favor to you, I included some pictures of a properly designed steering bar retaining bracket so you don't loose your steering that you can purchase at your local friendly Ford dealer and install it on your recalled ram steering bracket instead of some mechanic trying to weld the nut jams. :E

I โ€œrecallโ€ starting a thread about this a while ago and it got some posters all knotted up about it. So the Fiat solution is to tack weld the nuts together huh? Sounds similar to another weldment that went wrong on the same front ends..
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
This would be very scary!
F150 Recall

I didn't see you make this statement about loosing your steering? :E

Maybe I just missed it... :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"FISH" what say you??

Oh and as a favor to you, I included some pictures of a properly designed steering bar retaining bracket so you don't loose your steering that you can purchase at your local friendly Ford dealer and install it on your recalled ram steering bracket instead of some mechanic trying to weld the nut jams. :E

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe when they fix the downshift issue, they'll also install the missing dipstick / fill tube?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I betcha GM doesn't try to copy this feature.:(

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I think we should take up a different hobby. Too dangerous out there. Brake pedals falling off, steering failing and now unexpected down shifts.