cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this important to have?

dlbarr
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7JZTYX/_encoding=UTF8?ref=exp_inf_pl_keepyourdaydream

I have been enjoying my new-to-me 2016 Jayco RL20 for the past 4 months. What I've been doing is what I'd call RVing-lite. Staying in my rig for 2-4 days/wk approx 2hrs away from home as I'm working in a remote location. The park I'm in has me in a spot where I have electrical hook-up only and I use the public facilities which are cetainly suitable. Have not hooked up water or anything like that - basically like staying in a dry cabin, so to speak.

In a couple months, I will move to a new location and will have full hook ups and am getting prepared for that. Do I need this regulator with a guage on it or is this one sufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BZD08U/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IBZ2HOSVBBLX7&colid=39P6KDPR6S7QB&psc=0

Thank for your input.
29 REPLIES 29

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Right after we purchased our current camper (4 years ago), we were at a KOA campground in Georgia. The campground manager told us we would need a pressure regulator if we hooked up the hose to the campground water because the campground water pressure was over 70 psi and that was more than most campers can handle.

I took his advice seriously and after setting up at the site pulled out the regulator I had from my previous camper (like the 2nd one in your post). I was about ready to hook up the hoses when I had a startling moment of realization; what if the regulator failed?

It was at that moment I made the decision to just fill my on board water tank and and use my on-board water pump. Filling the fresh water tank has no pressure in the tank at all. I've been doing that ever since! Even on sites that have water available, I've never hooked up to the water spigot. Why take chances? The on-board water pump is designed to be at the correct pressure for the plumbing in the camper. It will not endanger anything, and there is never anything to worry about. Granted, it makes a little noise, but that's a little inconvenience I absolutely do not mind dealing with.

Last Summer I put in a new water pump, changed locations slightly, and now it's much quieter. I will not hook up directly to a spigot, and don't mind filling my tank several times when needed if on a full hook-up site. I also never have to worry about blown lines either.

If you have not considered this as a viable option, well ... there it is. It's still your choice how you want to handle it. Good luck! The most important thing is that you enjoy your camper based on your style of camping!

(However, if you really want my opinion on the regulator, get the one with the gauge and the ability to adjust the pressure.) Hook it up at the spigot, then the hose. Not hose to spigot and then regulator at the camper. This helps protect the garden hose too.

same thing we do.

one more thing we do is turn off the water pump if we leave the trailer for an outing etc. for any length of time.

And the very few times I've hooked to the site water I use a watts pressure regulator and turn off the water at the spigot when we leave. (If I remember!)

And if you want a good regulator, get a Watts regulator. it actually regulates water pressure unlike some of the cheap ones that just restrict flow.

maybe we are paranoid, but I'd rather not risk water damage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Between our boats and our campers we have always used the regulators. In fact, they're usually built into a boat' s freshwater system. We always fill the tanks in case the venue has any problems. We use the city water, but have what's in the tanks if we need it. We always travel with about 1/3 tank, so we drain down to that before we leave.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

Campingfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We had always connected the regulator to the camper end of the hose until a stay at a CG near Lexington last summer. We saw 3 burst hoses our first day there and was in the little store when one of the campers was buying the fittings to splice his back together. The guy behind the counter said "oh yea, we have really high pressure, probably want to install your regulator at the spigot"
I went and moved our regulator only to find out 5/8" hose now measures 3/4"
Now the regulator goes on their end of the hose, not mine.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You can never have to much instrumentation. That said my five dollar wonder has worked just fine.

If it does it's job it does not matter how much pressure the regulator is reducing. If it does not do it job, at least you know how much pressure it took for your lines to fail. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nowadays I always fill my on board tank (90 gals) because I have been at CG's on 3 occasions where the CG water pump malfunctioned or a line broke and repairs were needed. (no water avl during this time)
One of those times I was all soaped up in the shower, it's nice to have your tank full just in case. I guess it's a good habit for that reason.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Passin Thru wrote:
In my camping from CA to Fl over 40 years I have never used a regulator.

Some there are who go through life and never have a problem. Others, well, that's why there are cures/solutions/regulators.

I have encountered high water pressure at three different campgrounds. When we first bought our TT, I sprang for one of those $5 ones on the recommendation of a friend. Got in the habit of putting it on the end of the hose up against the trailer, until the day I glanced out the window and noticed the hose spewing water right at the park's hose bib. Went out to check that and discovered that the water pressure was so high it had split the screw-on (brass, I might add) on my hose. After that, I put the regulator on the park's bib, BEFORE my hose.

Second time, as I was checking in, I had a park owner warn me that the city insisted they had to deliver city water to his property line at 150 psi, and I absolutely had to have a regulator, or don't hook up the trailer to the water. Sure enough, unregulated water pressure would shoot water out of the open end of the hose for something like 50 feet. No nozzle needed, man. It was impressive.

Third time, we stayed at a campground on the side of a mountain. The office, well, and water system was up at the top, just below the US highway. We were assigned a site down at the bottom of the mountain. Sure enough, the 400 - 500 foot drop made for an impressive spray of water from the open end of a hose. I've no idea what the actual pressure was, but it was at least as high as #2 above. I was glad I had a regulator.

But those were only 3 out of the bazillion campground water systems we've used over the decades. A good regulator is one of those things you might not ever need, but if you need one, you will REALLY need it. I now use one of the fancy ones with a dial and adjustable pressure. They seem to flow more water at whatever pressure you set. (45 psi works really well.)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
For you guys that "run on the pump" have you changed out the OEM pump ? Most OEM pumps are OBNOXIOUSLY load !

There are a number of things you can do to quiet down your pump. Use a length of hose on the outlet, mount on better surface (sorbothane), make sure all supply piping is not against a resonating surface, use an expansion tank so the pump runs less.

I saved the old air pressure/water pressure system in my trailer. If the pressure in the tank gets too low, I turn on the onboard little compressor pump and it pumps right up to whatever the tank reaches. The nicer things is that I don't have to run a pump every time I want delivery and if the compressor goes South, I have another tire filler to attach to a fitting to pump it up. If that breaks, I can either drive to a gas station or break out a bicycle pump and be back in business. So far, everything is operating like planned.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
For you guys that "run on the pump" have you changed out the OEM pump ? Most OEM pumps are OBNOXIOUSLY load !

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
jim1521 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Right after we purchased our current camper (4 years ago), we were at a KOA campground in Georgia. The campground manager told us we would need a pressure regulator if we hooked up the hose to the campground water because the campground water pressure was over 70 psi and that was more than most campers can handle.

I took his advice seriously and after setting up at the site pulled out the regulator I had from my previous camper (like the 2nd one in your post). I was about ready to hook up the hoses when I had a startling moment of realization; what if the regulator failed?

It was at that moment I made the decision to just fill my on board water tank and and use my on-board water pump. Filling the fresh water tank has no pressure in the tank at all. I've been doing that ever since! Even on sites that have water available, I've never hooked up to the water spigot. Why take chances? The on-board water pump is designed to be at the correct pressure for the plumbing in the camper. It will not endanger anything, and there is never anything to worry about. Granted, it makes a little noise, but that's a little inconvenience I absolutely do not mind dealing with.

Last Summer I put in a new water pump, changed locations slightly, and now it's much quieter. I will not hook up directly to a spigot, and don't mind filling my tank several times when needed if on a full hook-up site. I also never have to worry about blown lines either.

If you have not considered this as a viable option, well ... there it is. It's still your choice how you want to handle it. Good luck! The most important thing is that you enjoy your camper based on your style of camping!

(However, if you really want my opinion on the regulator, get the one with the gauge and the ability to adjust the pressure.) Hook it up at the spigot, then the hose. Not hose to spigot and then regulator at the camper. This helps protect the garden hose too.

Dutchman, when you do this, I'm assuming you have to periodically go out, turn the hose on, fill the tank, then turn it off again, is that correct? I like the sound of your idea, but don't fully understand the steps involved.
Exactly. Every 5 days or so I hook up the hose, fill the fresh water tank, then put the hose away again. Exact same steps you would use if you were filling the fresh water tank before dry camping or boondocking.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Some municipalities are increasing water pressure to be able to serve more people in their areas. I use a dial type regulator and would not go without.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Some older campgrounds have added numerous campsites over the years without increasing the size or number of supply lines. To get adequate water flow thru the outdated system, they simply increase pressure. If a system would be designed properly, no regulator would be needed, but that is not reality.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Going off memory, the sleeve regulators come in 25 and 30 psi models. If you are going to install a tankless water heater, you need higher water pressure. About 60 psi. Again, I read this more than two weeks ago, so memory has already been dumped. RVs are supposed to handle 110 psi for short periods. Though I wouldn't try it. I need to do some sound deadening before I resort to using my water tank. I would also like to put in an expansion tank so the pump doesn't turn on as much.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
jim1521 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Dutchman, when you do this, I'm assuming you have to periodically go out, turn the hose on, fill the tank, then turn it off again, is that correct? I like the sound of your idea, but don't fully understand the steps involved.

Depending on the size of your fresh water tank you can probably go several days without filling it back up. So, if by periodically, you mean every couple three days (or longer, depending on water usage), then yes, you would have to periodically fill it back up.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure regulator is a great thing to have, can save problems.
Years ago my neighbor bought a class a, when we went to hook up in a camp site, I asked about the pressure regulator, He replied" we don't need one",well we hooked up turned the water on and blew all the lines, spent the rest of the day gettig parts and repairing the blown lines.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game