cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda on propane.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't want to hijack the "Honda in an Onan Compartment" thread so I'm posting a new one. I was just wondering what sort of run times people are seeing from their propane converted 2000's?

THANKS!
8 REPLIES 8

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it is true that propane has fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline; I have run my EU2000i on propane for hundreds of hours and have neither measured nor noticed any reduction in electrical power output when switching between fuels.

The only times I have ever noticed a power loss is at elevations above 6000 feet... first time this happened I was in Flagstaff AZ and wasn't able to run the convection-microwave at full power :E This issue is the same with both fuel types, and I now know to adjust the fuel mixture when camped at altitude. The adjustment of the propane demand regulator is super simple, and for gasoline I carry two additional main jets in the TC with me and swap them out depending on my destination.
Here are sizes, approximate altitude ranges, and the Honda part #'s for the jets I use:
0.62mm, Sea level to 4000' p/n 99101ZG00620 (this is the stock jet size)
0.60mm, 2000' to 7000' p/n 99101ZG00600
0.58mm, 6000' to 10,000' p/n 99101ZG00580

I'll add that my Honda is 16 years young (12 of them on propane) and, other than a broken pull-start cord, I haven't had any reliability issues whatsoever.
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcutt- thanks for the info. I had no idea.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware, if you have a heavy duty cycle on your engine, that a gasoline engine has a shorted life when converted to propane. In a gasoline engine the heat that evaporates the gasoline was taken into account when the engine was designed. So, they do not have enough cooling in the head and you get valve problems. We junked a bunch of Hondas running on casing head gas before we learned this lesson. For heavy duty, get a propane engine.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
gitpicker2009 wrote:
Generators lose 20% of their power on propane? Really? My large Generac outside my house actually produces more power on propane than on natural gas. What are you comparing it to? A generator that runs on gas or diesel? Why is that? I'm not arguing, I'm seriously surprised to learn that.

Propane has 20% less BTU per gallon when Compared to Gasolene. Hoverver Propane has twice the BTUs per Cubic foot when compared to Natural Gas
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Generators lose 20% of their power on propane? Really? My large Generac outside my house actually produces more power on propane than on natural gas. What are you comparing it to? A generator that runs on gas or diesel? Why is that? I'm not arguing, I'm seriously surprised to learn that.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Remember, generators running on propane lose about 20% of their power.

That's certainly important to know.:C
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
dirtyhandz wrote:
...what sort of run times people are seeing from their propane converted 2000's?

My generator usage is very inconsistent... some idling, some high-current battery charging, some microwaving, some A/C use. Given this mixed usage, my best estimate is that my EU2000i consumes, on average, 0.5 pounds of propane per hour.
Hope this helps.
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, generators running on propane lose about 20% of their power.