cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design vs Jay Feather

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
We are shopping for a new TT and found 2 that we really like, Grand Design Imagine 2500RL and Jayco Jay Feather 27RL. The weights and prices are virtually the same, they are equipped virtually the same, and a good fit for the tow vehicle.

The 2500RL looks more elegant and has really neat and clean utility access but it gives up almost 2 feet in box length, primarily at the expense of the living room.

The 27RL has a roof membrane that extends an inch or so down the sides and ends which seems really smart.

We prefer the twin rocker/recliners to the theater seating but that would not be a deal breaker.

My wife likes the Jayco better but if there is a huge difference in quality we would go with the GD.

If anyone knows of a good brand with this floor plan please chime in.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
10 REPLIES 10

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
LDSTexas wrote:
I know its been a while, but I was searching forums and found your post. We are in the process of shopping for a new travel trailer and are down to the same two trailers you mentioned. We really like both having the mid bath. We like to have guests camp with us and a mid bath is better during the night since each family has a bathroom door. We like the 2500RL for the kitchen and also the TV is closer to the rear recliners. We like the 27RL for the more room, the rear recliners and tri-fold sofa, it has more and larger storage areas inside, and is available with two ACs, which is important in Texas. Both are about the same weight, which is over 1000lbs less than our current Puma 30RKSS. Wondering which you decided to go with and also any advice on either or both would be welcome. Thanks, Larry, San Antonio, Texas.

We actually didn't buy another trailer yet.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Reedga wrote:
I do not like the walk thru bathroom. Sort of leaves one stuck in the bedroom if someone is dressing or showering in the bathroom.
The GD 2450 RL to me is has more use able floor plan with no inconvenience to either person or persons using the bathroom. The only thing I do not care for on the GD 2450 RL is the way the Theater seat protrudes out blocking much usable counter space. The 2500 RL has no hanging closet space other than the hers and hers on each side of the bed. Whereas the 2450 RL like the Jayco has a nice size hanging closet in the bedroom , plus the hers and hers beside the bed.The Jayco has 27 RL has more storage in the bathroom that the GD 2500 RL or 2450 RL, but the walk thru bathroom is still an no, no to me.
None offer remote control power slides,stabilizer jacks and awing.
Jayco offers Good Year Endurance as option-able tires.I would want E series tires, NOT D series. The aluminum steps are nice, but on the 2500 RL with 2 doors the steps stick inside so you would need to extend the main entrance steps as well as the bedroom door steps,as they would stick out into the living /bedroom area when up. Also depending on your trailer storage area or storage yard, these steps could create a entry problem as there would be no room to extend them to enter, as trailers are generally park very close together. Jayco 2 year warranty is a plus you don't see with any other mfg. and they do a good job honoring it.
Just pointing out a few observations after owning 3 new ravel trailers since 2011, but it all coming down to what you think you can live with.
G Reed
X2 - and the other thing that makes the GD 2450 RL a better pick is that the refer is not in a slide. My Refer is in the slide and I had to do some mods to keep it cool in the hotter summer months. A refer that vents through the roof is a much better option - unless you have a residential.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LDSTexas
Explorer
Explorer
I know its been a while, but I was searching forums and found your post. We are in the process of shopping for a new travel trailer and are down to the same two trailers you mentioned. We really like both having the mid bath. We like to have guests camp with us and a mid bath is better during the night since each family has a bathroom door. We like the 2500RL for the kitchen and also the TV is closer to the rear recliners. We like the 27RL for the more room, the rear recliners and tri-fold sofa, it has more and larger storage areas inside, and is available with two ACs, which is important in Texas. Both are about the same weight, which is over 1000lbs less than our current Puma 30RKSS. Wondering which you decided to go with and also any advice on either or both would be welcome. Thanks, Larry, San Antonio, Texas.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the helpful input!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco now offers a 3 structural year warranty.

In addition to the company’s two-year limited warranty, Jayco Inc. is adding a three-year structural warranty on all its 2020 models, covering such areas like the roof, laminated walls and floors.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I too just don't like walk thru bathrooms.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reedga
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like the walk thru bathroom. Sort of leaves one stuck in the bedroom if someone is dressing or showering in the bathroom.
The GD 2450 RL to me is has more use able floor plan with no inconvenience to either person or persons using the bathroom. The only thing I do not care for on the GD 2450 RL is the way the Theater seat protrudes out blocking much usable counter space. The 2500 RL has no hanging closet space other than the hers and hers on each side of the bed. Whereas the 2450 RL like the Jayco has a nice size hanging closet in the bedroom , plus the hers and hers beside the bed.The Jayco has 27 RL has more storage in the bathroom that the GD 2500 RL or 2450 RL, but the walk thru bathroom is still an no, no to me.
None offer remote control power slides,stabilizer jacks and awing.
Jayco offers Good Year Endurance as option-able tires.I would want E series tires, NOT D series. The aluminum steps are nice, but on the 2500 RL with 2 doors the steps stick inside so you would need to extend the main entrance steps as well as the bedroom door steps,as they would stick out into the living /bedroom area when up. Also depending on your trailer storage area or storage yard, these steps could create a entry problem as there would be no room to extend them to enter, as trailers are generally park very close together. Jayco 2 year warranty is a plus you don't see with any other mfg. and they do a good job honoring it.
Just pointing out a few observations after owning 3 new ravel trailers since 2011, but it all coming down to what you think you can live with.
G Reed

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco has a questionable build reputation but then GD can have issues as well.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd opt for the Grand Design with the Four-Season Protection Package if you plan on doing any cool/cold weather camping. And, I tend think the GD is a bit higher quality. However the pics I saw of one had a very dark decor (black & dark brown) which would not be our pick. The photos of a Jayco had a much lighter color scheme and would definitely be our preference. So, if looking for the GD, I'd want to know if there were other color schemes available.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a quick look at the Jayco. Let’s see all the holding tanks are smaller. The GVW rating on the Jayco is 500 lighter. The GD has a bigger bed 80 inches long compared to Jayco at 74 and last there’s no kitchen counter space in the Jayco
We own a GD 2500 RL and love it ., Very comfortable, and a great bathroom
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL