cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F350 def alarm

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2016 f350. I would like to know if anyone has found a mod to add a chime to the def filter cleaning warning that comes up on our display. The small orange display that pops up for a few seconds is easy to miss so I hope to add an alarm/chime so it catches my attention. Thanks everyone.
10 REPLIES 10

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
NRALIFR wrote:
naturist wrote:
..........This isn’t anything worth your attention .........

I politely disagree. Knowing how often your DPF is cleaned will at least keep you from making unbelievable statements like “I’ve driven my (whatever brand) Diesel for over 20,000 miles and it has NEVER cleaned!” :W

:):)

Ya got me there.

My BMW X5 diesel does a regeneration about every 500 miles, which I know only because I’ve added instrumentation to watch exhaust gas temperatures. In normal use, they run in the neighborhood of 300 degrees C. When they suddenly shoot up over 500 degrees, it’s due to a dpf regeneration. BMW provides no little light or other marker. It’s supposed to be totally invisible to the owner/driver, because after all it’s supposed to be something you don’t need to worry your little head about. All anti-pollution measures are required to be totally invisible to owner/operators. The DEF system is the only one allowed to violate that, and only because it was shown to be so effective. And only then after a huge fight.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Scan Gauge II and I programed it to show regen, that is the only way I know its in regen and when its done. I also have it show exhaust temp on the first sensor and it is interesting seeing it hit 1100 degrees sometimes.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I’d need to see some actual ECM log data to believe that.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
naturist wrote:

I politely disagree. Knowing how often your DPF is cleaned will at least keep you from making unbelievable statements like “I’ve driven my (whatever brand) Diesel for over 20,000 miles and it has NEVER cleaned!” :W

I have driven my RAM 54K miles and only once after the fact figured out that it had been in regen.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got the % full DPF display on mine and find the DPF cleans every 500 miles. When the 500 miles is up the filter will be only from 20 to 40% full if the previous clean was allowed to finish. If the truck gets shut off before cleaning is done it might reach 80% full next time the 500 miles is up. I think the reason the % full display is not provided from the factory is that it's not worth driving extra miles to finish a cleaning cycle.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Check on the Ford Enthusiast forum site. I see there is a way you can add a percentage display for the DPF in a program called Forscan. Forscan is a software that is available on for your phone than interfaces the truck via certain OBD modules. I have no experience with it but it's out there.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct guys, I did mean dpf, sorry about that. Thank you for the replies.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I’ve never heard of a vehicle that has a def filter, so I, too, suspect you mean the dpf, ie the diesel particulate filter. This isn’t anything worth your attention and the fact there’s even a light that blinks momentarily is more notice than most vehicles give you.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe you mean dpf. I don't know of any audible alarm but you can take your truck to the Ford dealer and have the add the dpf status scream that shows you a percent full status of your dpf and this way you can predict when a regen will occur.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"