cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Draw-Tite Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the hitch over the weekend. I like how easy it is to mount and how high its off the ground.

Only issue I had is they forgot 4 bolts in the mounting kit.

Ill be putting my chest style tool box in the front so I can put gear in it such as chairs and a 2000 Honda.

Started with this
New front receiver and new RV faucet by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Installed tape to prevent damage to the chrome.

Removed the grill to get to the top inside bolts..really didnt need to but it was a little easier. Tow hooks off.

Installed minus 4 bolts.

Oh ya..all the stickers were upside down..it was confusing when mounting it..I removed them for a cleaner look.

Part # 65063
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.
19 REPLIES 19

Marshfly
Explorer
Explorer
Mooring Product,
You're going to have serious issues with overheating. I did the exact same thing on my drawtite hitch on my new Ram. Temps were 20-40 degrees over normal for both coolant and oil. Don't even think about taking off on a long trip without some other way to carry that rack WHEN it starts causing overheating. Mine ended up inside the camper being shoved in and out every night.

The high mounted front rack works great for firewood or something like that on a basket. A motorcycle, box, or bicycles is just way too high.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 4" drop but that would put it even further forward. I may just use it without the box. I see you can purchase bags to load things into also.

The main purpose was to haul bikes. This unit has wheel chocks to mount four bikes.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone posted a scoop that they added a while back to direct flow around the cargo carrier. I'll see if I can find it if they don't post on this thread.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
mp, a couple of comments. 1) You would be illegal in CA with the last picture. There is a maximum extension of the front bumper law that is something like 26".

2) I've seen adaptive stacked receiver pieces that would allow you to drop the mount height of the basket and thus reducing your grille blockage.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
When I added the front hitch I knew it was lower than most, but I knew I wanted the use a storage box similar to yours. It ended up to work out well since my box is below the majority of the grill, and it does not restrict air flow. That would be my biggest concern. Yours does stick out further from the grill area so you might get ample air flow. Other than that it looks great.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Got the new cargo rack yesterday and tried it out. Not sure about the tool chest up there..I may just use it for chairs and bikes minus the box. I think the box would come in handy for hurricane time when we load up the generator and haul extra water.

Any input..

Cargo hauler front receiver by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo rack

Looking at this cargo rack. Its a 2 in 1 set up and big enough to hold my tool chest.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Is that the one that uses the J hook hitch pin? There the best in my book, that's what I have on my DM.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
No problems whatsoever. I use mine for carrying all my firewood. A basket width by maybe a 1' to 1 1/2' is as high as I go.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
That looks good. I'm also looking for ways to haul more stuff without hauling too much stuff, but with the bikes on the back receiver I'm convinced I would very much like a cargo basket on the front of the truck. The more I see you guys do it the more it makes me want to pull the trigger on one.

After adding a cargo basket and whatever cargo of your choice on it, has anyone discovered problems with lack of air flow over all the coolers? Especially the diesel guys.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer has license plate holders
that go in the receiver ๐Ÿ™‚

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Im thinking If you keep an eye on EGTs and coolant temps all would be fine.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I like the mount being higher, but the main disadvantage is I need a front license plate! That's why I had to go for an under bumper model.

Instead of mounting the license plate UP from the bottom license plate holes, you could mount it DOWN from the top license plate holes.
The difference between Ford, GM or Dodge may make this point moot.

I wonder how to check for intercooler temperature difference. Does the OBD2 port show intercooler temp???
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the mount being higher, but the main disadvantage is I need a front license plate! That's why I had to go for an under bumper model.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member