cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dichlor for fresh water tank

facory
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that some use Dichlor to sanitize the fresh water tank. This is instead of chlorine bleach. I read this with interest and have ordered Dichlor. Now I am reading that it is very hard to determine the correct amount to use and that it can harm the water system. What do you think and have you used it? If so, how do you measure for the correct amount? We have a 40 gallon fresh tank.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
13 REPLIES 13

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
facory wrote:
How much would I put in the black tank? It's 35 gallons.

I would START with a teaspoon or so and add as the level in black tank increased. But I suppose you could use 5-6 teaspoons and if an odor starts to develop add more as needed.
I personally use bromine in my black and grey tanks. But I use a tablet for and start with 2 tablets in the black tank and 1 in the grey. I very rarely gt an odor
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
8 ounces, $12.95 here: food grade hydrogen peroxide

Bumpyroad wrote:
myredracer wrote:

FWIW, food grade hydrogen peroxide can also be used

sure, just price out 20 gallons of 30% hydrogen peroxide.
bumpy

8 ounces, $12.95. food grade hydrogen peroxide

and you are diluting that down to what?
bumpy

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
8 ounces, $12.95 here: food grade hydrogen peroxide

Bumpyroad wrote:
myredracer wrote:

bumpy

8 ounces, $12.95. food grade hydrogen peroxide

facory
Explorer
Explorer
How much would I put in the black tank? It's 35 gallons.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dichlor is fine for a pool where you can disperse it across the surface.

1/4 cub household bleach per 15 gallons is great for sanitizing RV fresh water system.

But then again........city water is already chlorinated.

Our town doesn't chlorinate the water, we have some of the best water you could hope to find.

Then you get all kinds of water travelling and who knows what it might have swimming around in it. Then they co-mingle when the camper is in storage mode.

Bleach has worked for me since day one and there is always a gallon in the laundry room. It's a lot cheaper than anything the stealers sell.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
facory wrote:
The more I think about it the more I think bleach is the way to go. I'll just have to sell the 1# can of Dichlor I just bought.

Nope use it in your black tank. No bacteria = little smmell

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

bumpy

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would do some googling. A quick google shows that it does get used for drinking water. Alabama State for example says it's okay. Dichlor use If you can figure how to use it correctly, I think it would be a good alternative to liquid bleach.

Dichlor is a name covering a family of related compounds. There is sodium dichlor and calcium dichlor and also dichlor and trichlor. There is also dichloroisocyanuric acid and dichloro-s-triazinetrione and more. Which one should you use? Dichlor also breaks down into various compounds which may be undesirable, but plain bleach does also.

It appears that some dichlor suppliers have NSF/ANSI certified products for drinking water and maybe you should use one of them? NSF 60

The biggest question might be how much should you use and should you test it before use? One nice thing about dichlor tablets is that it's much safer to handle than liquids and is one reason it's used for spas and hot tubs.

FWIW, food grade hydrogen peroxide can also be used and I've seen tablets with silver in it but they are expensive. Also, Giardia and Cryptosporidium are chorine resistant and won't be killed and you need a 1 micron absolute (not "nominal") rated filter or better.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
The more I think about it the more I think bleach is the way to go. I'll just have to sell the 1# can of Dichlor I just bought.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dichlor is fine for a pool where you can disperse it across the surface.

1/4 cub household bleach per 15 gallons is great for sanitizing RV fresh water system.

But then again........city water is already chlorinated.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Why mess with what works?
Chlorine bleach is effective, chlorine bleach is cheap, chlorine bleach is readily available everywhere.

x2
why try for a "magic bullet".
bumpy

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I buy it for our pool and a bag goes a long way, I agree with above that it's just simpler to use a 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why mess with what works?
Chlorine bleach is effective, chlorine bleach is cheap, chlorine bleach is readily available everywhere.