41 REPLIES 41

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
riven1950 wrote:
I am looking a 3/4 ton f250 now. Really a Ford guy but several folks said I could get a lot of truck for a lot less $$ with the 6.4 Ram. Haven't driven one but prices seem about same F250 xlt vs a similar equiped Ram or am I missing something. If there was a big price difference I would look harder but I don't see it.

It isn't too hard to change, I was a Ford man for 44 years. Time to get a diesel TV was NOT going with a Ford 6.0, really liked the reputation of the Cummins, just the Dodge wrapper?
Well neither have disappointed me currently 312,000 miles, and still pulling/carrying a almost 13,000# 5er!

It all still works on a loaded TV.

Hearing this story over and over is becoming comical from you... If you were going by the cummins reputation alone, why didn't you go with a first gen 6.7 cummins with a DPF or lets say a 2007.5 ram?

BTW... don't bother wasting some fabricated story as we all know the answer.

โ€œHello, Pot? Kettle hereโ€.........

LOL, ya think? Good thing he doesn't live in a glass house.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I'm one that thinks the Aisin sucks at being in the gear it needs to be. 90% of the time it's fine but 25% I have to manually take over. I've had a 2013 and now I have a 16' and 17'. All 3 have the same issues.

But "they don't break". :B

Apparently some did if the re builders have some in stock. I know many of them did not have some for a long time because there were't that many out there. I have also seen Aisin failures at our Hino dealerships.

Not saying the Aisin is failure prone. Far from it because it is a stout trans, but some do tend to break from time to time as with anything else.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
I'm one that thinks the Aisin sucks at being in the gear it needs to be. 90% of the time it's fine but 25% I have to manually take over. I've had a 2013 and now I have a 16' and 17'. All 3 have the same issues.

But "they don't break". :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
riven1950 wrote:
I am looking a 3/4 ton f250 now. Really a Ford guy but several folks said I could get a lot of truck for a lot less $$ with the 6.4 Ram. Haven't driven one but prices seem about same F250 xlt vs a similar equiped Ram or am I missing something. If there was a big price difference I would look harder but I don't see it.

It isn't too hard to change, I was a Ford man for 44 years. Time to get a diesel TV was NOT going with a Ford 6.0, really liked the reputation of the Cummins, just the Dodge wrapper?
Well neither have disappointed me currently 312,000 miles, and still pulling/carrying a almost 13,000# 5er!

Hearing this story over and over is becoming comical from you... If you were going by the cummins reputation alone, why didn't you go with a first gen 6.7 cummins with a DPF or lets say a 2007.5 ram?

โ€œHello, Pot? Kettle hereโ€.........
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I don't drive like a grandpa, and neither do most of my friends. My brother does though. All have complained about how their 66RFE, 68RFE or Aisin being caught with its pants down on several occasions. Most of the time it is fine, but there have been instances were it was in the wrong gear for what we needed. Those of us who have tuned their 68's don't have anymore complaints. Others may just have lower expectations or don't know what good is.

Apparently the guys at Pickuptrucks.com and a few other review sites agree with those that say the shifting is not perfect.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
riven1950 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 2014 Ram Cummins 68RFE to a 2015 Chevy Duramax Allison. Both 3500's. Both stock. No issues. Both pulled my 15,000lb toyhauler just fine. Cummins got a little better fuel mileage. Can't go wrong with either truck.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you drive a 68 like a old lady it will not shift as good as it could. Thatโ€™s why I never had a issue with mine. Right from the 13 miles it had on it at Dave Smith I ran the holy HE!! Out of it with EB and TH on. It learned to be a great shifting trans.

I personally have zero reason to spend a nickel on my truck as it performs great right out of the box.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I am not talking about a built trans. I am talking about a custom tuned trans. Two totally different things.

A built trans is generally just beefed up to handle the added power. They usually have the same shift points as stock so a modern transmissions should be better.

A modern electronically controlled transmission can adjust shift points, line pressure, torque converter lockup, and many other aspects through custom tuning. I am not talking about a canned tune that comes with a Bully Dog or Superchips tuner. I am talking about a custom tune by a professional via EFI Live, EZLynk, or MM3.

Most that have never driven one of these still believe their Ram transmission shift just fine because ignorance is bliss, but those who have driven a custom tuned 68RFE or Alison know what always being in the right gear at the right time really is.

Again, I am not the only one who says this. Pickuptrucks.com and a few others have said the same thing in their reviews when they drive the trucks back to back. Keep on thinking it is fine, just don't go drive a custom tuned 68RFE or new Alison.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have owned two DTT built trans. These are even better IMHO.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The only thing bad I have to say about the Ram HD's is that all of their automatics transmission (even the Aisin) are horrible in regards to being in the right gear at the right time compared to the Allison."

I have owned both and IMHO they are both in the "Right Gear" when one keeps the "TH" button pushed. Zero issues with either trans.

Well you are one in a few from many people that I know personally and from other forums. Although most that have issues with the shifting have come from a tuned truck with custom trans tuning so they know what good is. The few people that I know who think it is fine have only driven stock transmissions so they don't know what a great shifting transmission really is. Heck even Pickuptrucks.com and other truck reviews sites have said the very same thing although it was mainly the Aisin they were talking about.

I know several people that thought their stock 68RFE or Aisin trans was fine until they drove my custom tuned one. Just had two a few months ago at the last Ram truck meet up we had here. One had a canned tuned truck that did not have a trans tune, and the other had a completely stock truck. The guy with the caned tune said he did not need a custom trans tune........ until he drove my truck.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The only thing bad I have to say about the Ram HD's is that all of their automatics transmission (even the Aisin) are horrible in regards to being in the right gear at the right time compared to the Allison."

I have owned both and IMHO they are both in the "Right Gear" when one keeps the "TH" button pushed. Zero issues with either trans.