cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning rail pulling away

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My awning rail is pulling away. I have not inspected the screws yet. I am planning on replacing the screws with rivets.

Sadly the trailer is only a year old. Is a 2016 Dutchmen Denali 325rl.
I tried to get it into the dealer but they cannot see it until November so if i can fix it myself thats what I will do.

Has anyone else had to fix this?
Any insite before I get started?
5 REPLIES 5

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Well I inspected today and the rail is not pulling away but flexing. I think its fine. The screws are tight and attached.

I will keep an eye on it.
Thanks all.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
My awning rail is pulling away. I have not inspected the screws yet. I am planning on replacing the screws with rivets.

Sadly the trailer is only a year old. Is a 2016 Dutchmen Denali 325rl.
I tried to get it into the dealer but they cannot see it until November so if i can fix it myself thats what I will do.

Has anyone else had to fix this?
Any insite before I get started?
Fastners should be into framing. Or as someone suggested, thru wall plates(not very pretty). Rivots only hold skin-skin and won't stand up to vibration and wind.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Your description suggests that rotten framing and/or not enough fasteners has caused the rail to let go, and water will seep in through the screw holes. Try first to add extra fasteners then seal over the top with elastomeric caulk (the cheap solution). The correct fix might be to seek warranty remedy, if the awning was factory installed. If not, fingerpointing will blame the other guy. All said, it might be early enough to save and I doubt that much framing damage occured in a year, but it is possible. Good luck.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is where the gutter is and the gutter that the awning fabric is pulling away at the roofline in the front and rear areas of the awning.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Is it pulling away at the bottom where it is attached to the side of the TT?

If it is fix it RIGHT AWAY!

I did not, and found myself trying to figure out why my carpet kept getting wet in the bathroom. After weeks of checking everything and unable to find where the water was coming from. I did notice that it got wet after a rain.

Long story short the awning rails are screwed into the floor of the RV which is nothing more than a thin sheet of particle board. Screws loose on awning rails allows the water in and the water seeps into the particle board and gets sucked up by the carpet. Which is why my bathroom floor started to get wet. :R

RV mobile repair figured that one out. Says he sees it all the time.
Just tightening them won't work. He bolted them in with a metal face plate on the inside.

Mine came loose when a tornado hit the CG I was in while the awning was out. Had to replace the awning fabric and no one thought to check the bottom where the awning attaches.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.