cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Australian style TTs now available in the US -- big news!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For years, I have whined that the rugged Aussie caravans are not available in the US, and that there is no USA made substitute.

Well, here we go:

Black Series

Very expensive, but for those of us who really want to boondock in rough country, it may be worth it.

Check out the components -- very beefy!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
27 REPLIES 27

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
For years, I have whined that the rugged Aussie caravans are not available in the US, and that there is no USA made substitute.

Well, here we go:

Black Series

Very expensive, but for those of us who really want to boondock in rough country, it may be worth it.

Those aren't aussie campers they are chinese, do a little more digging online and you'll find some good info on them.

My advice, don't rely on their website and pictures. Looks are one thing, accurate information is another.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twodown, I'm keeping an open mind till I see them in person. Yes, I am skeptical -- but if the workmanship is good, the components are rugged, and the design is good, I would consider buying one.

I agree, though, that it is not for everyone!!
About our trailer

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Robert, are the new Black Series made in China?? Say it ain't so! Their website makes reference to Australia.

I guess I have to dig deeper.

Yes the importer has it made to his designs in China

That's a complete joke! $36k for a tiny trailer made in China? No thanks!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

The armored underbelly holding tank on the black seems excessive. Why have the tank hang down below the frame at all? even my bottom dollar KZ has the tanks up above the level of the frame box section, no way they'll snag anything. a simple flat skid plate could armor them, instead of needing a armor box which will get hung up on things.

Ummm. It is designed for BOONDOCKING! The real deal, not a Walmart parking lot.
Those tanks are 50 gallon black and 66 gallon grey.... In a 15' TT!

That kind of capacity requires some room. The frame rails appear to be about 4" tall. Not gonna fit a very large tank in there the way you propose.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tip! Here is a long discussion about them:

Ex Po re Black Series

Mixed reviews, lots of detail.
About our trailer

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
The Black Series are Australian in design only. Fully engineered and built in China then shipped to California for final assembly and sale. Expedition Portal has some good hands on reviews from owners that are mixed but mostly mediocre to poor. The Black Series seems to be appearance with no substance.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
‘07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Robert, are the new Black Series made in China?? Say it ain't so! Their website makes reference to Australia.

Yes the importer has it made to his designs in China

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

About our trailer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Nice match for the rumored 2020 Toyota diesel for North America.

Is the price better or worse than having a trailer custom built from the ground up?

The 2020 Toyota diesel is said to produce only 310 pound feet of torque. I hope this is a miss-print because this is rather anemic considering the 5.7 gas is 401 pound feet.

Seeing their is general confusion in the US on what specs or Characteristics an overseas vehicle has . What Toyota Diesel,are you talking about?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
routeforty wrote:
Perhaps the $50000 price is in Australian dollars which converts to about $36000 USD. So now we can all buy one :B
Yup, $36K US for the short one. I'd bet I could install a similar suspension system for less than 1/4 the price ($9K). I'd even throw in disk brakes. :B
As Profdan found out, shock absorbers can do a lot for ride control and peace of mind. For rough roads, independent suspension is superior.

US Travel Trailers disintergrate when used the same way as an Off Road or Dirt Road Caravan

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Good friends of ours Downunder just took delivery of a new 19' dual axle Vacationer Roughrider they had ordered last year - $72,000 AUD$. Having seen these Australian manufactured caravans myself in person I can say they're far and away much superior in just about every respect to trailers built here in N America. The current trend there is to European style white interiors in many of these units but my BIL & his wife just purchased a used 2014 single axle 19' caravan for $41,000 AUD$ and it has what we here in N America would consider a more conventional wood interior finish.

Proper Australian built Dirt Road or Off Road Caravans are, not Chines:R

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Well, here we go:

Black Series

These are Chinese built CamperTrailers not Off Road Caravans

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twodownzero, you are right that this is not a mass market item. But I can tell you, as someone who travels to really remote places, there are some folks who would find this product worth a careful look. Me, for example.

And it's not just shocks -- the independent suspension, the clearance, the unique 360 coupler, and so on. Many features that are not found on stock US trailers!!
About our trailer

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
routeforty wrote:
Perhaps the $50000 price is in Australian dollars which converts to about $36000 USD. So now we can all buy one :B

$36k for a tiny, single axle trailer, just because it comes with 4 shocks and mud tires?

There is no market in the US for this.