cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone carry a ladder?

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a telescoping ladder for a few reasons like cleaning, adjusting the awning angle and possibly to tilt solar panels.

Does anyone carry a ladder while traveling? This would be stored in the basement so I'm not looking for advice on how to carry (but feel free to share your storage solutions for others) Looking for advice on types of ladders and what others have found useful for a TC.

I am considering something like this:

Telescoping ladder.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
35 REPLIES 35

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
JTLance wrote:
Seems like an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist...for me.

I wash my rig when I get back
I make adjustments to my awning with the legs provided
My unit doesn't require maintenance on the road

I don't see the need for a ladder. I would wait till I was home or stand in a shopping cart.

Never thought of a shopping cart. I am not nearly that dexterous. I would probably end up on one of these funny home video shows. :B

Turn it upside down.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a built-in rear ladder ( great for cramping stuff onto like you would with a backpacking frame) and I always carry a two-foot aluminum step ladder ( ...but I admit that I seldom have need of it).
Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
work2much wrote:

Telescoping ladder.
Before you purchase this ladder, you might want to read the user ratings. One user reported being injured when a rung came apart. Others reported other unsafe aspects.

Thanks! I think I am going with the ladder towpro linked in his response on page one. A lot more expensive but it is rated type 1A which is very good, especially for my 250 pound body.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:

Telescoping ladder.
Before you purchase this ladder, you might want to read the user ratings. One user reported being injured when a rung came apart. Others reported other unsafe aspects.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
When I carry the kayak I also carry a ladder. It is the light-weight 2-part extending loft ladder (about 6ft extends to about 11ft).

I attach it to the camper ladder, and when loading or unloading the kayak from the roof use the ladder to access the roof at the front of the camper.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 3ft aluminum step ladder.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
As for the purpose of the ladder.

1. I often put up a tarp if it's raining or snowing. It's amazing how much heat from the campfire gets held in with the tarp.

2. I may want to dust off the solar panels, brush off snow etc.

Don't use it every time but probably 30% of trips.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I added a ladder to the back of the TT. On one trip I had a problem with the slide topper. I couldnt reach it from the roof, or ground. The neighboring camper lent me his fold up homeowners step ladder. I bought the same one. Its 4 feet and that allows me to reach everything i need to around the rig, all the way to the roof line. Stows nicely. Cost is $70 at the home center. Looks like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladder-Folding-Capacity-Industrial-Lightweight/dp/B072SSZHNJ?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B072SSZHNJ
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
I actually carry 3 ladders with me.

I do all my work on the road, so I am not able to wait until I get home to the garage or driveway. So the mountains, and or the desert are my work shops.

These are like the ones I carry;

7 Foot Fiberglass Step Ladder

3 Foot Fiberglass Step Ladder

Plastic Folding Stool

b

Yea, most of my work is also done on the road unless it can wait without causing damage or irritating me too much. We have one of the folding plastic steps. I also have a short aluminum ladder that I hadn't considered bringing along. Thanks for the links!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
JTLance wrote:

I don't see the need for a ladder. I would wait till I was home or stand in a shopping cart.

I never saw the need for one myself when I was doing shorter trips that were less than a month. We travel now for months at a time and The camper gets pretty dirty, more than a tall carwash can clean via pressured water. Even cleaning the windows requires a ladder.

Never thought of a shopping cart. I am not nearly that dexterous. I would probably end up on one of these funny home video shows. :B

The awning has tilting adjustment that can be reached from the back from the entry stairs but the front side needs a ladder. Also want to build a titling system for the solar panels on this camper.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
I actually carry 3 ladders with me.

I do all my work on the road, so I am not able to wait until I get home to the garage or driveway. So the mountains, and or the desert are my work shops.

These are like the ones I carry;

7 Foot Fiberglass Step Ladder

3 Foot Fiberglass Step Ladder

Plastic Folding Stool

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've spent a lot of time traveling in our TC and have not yet needed to have a ladder with us while traveling. IMO that's a lot of space and weight that could be put to use carrying other gear.

What I have found very useful is an E-Z Foldz 9" step stool and a Neat Seat. I store them on hooks at one end of the dinette slide.

It's worth mentioning that I've used one of those telescoping ladders... they do work great and are surprisingly sturdy.

Cheers,
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, I have seen lot of factory TT trailers attached with bungee cords so they stay on TT and don't take off on their own.