cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wineguard Trav'ler

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DirecTv system at home and have a Tailgater Dish system. I can still active the Tailgater, but thinking about selling the set-up. Question is: Am I ridiculous to be considering a Wineguard Trav'ler set-up for the Travel Trailer we just ordered? If I got it, then the whole thing would be covered under the 7 year extended warranty as long as I have them install it prior to pick-up. I've always had issues getting a signal with the Tailgater, but heard that this Wineguard does extremely well even if there is light tree covering. We do a lot of Weekend camping and I love watching my sports while camping. It also keeps the kids occupied on occasion. The system is expensive ($2,500 with install to 3 TVs) but I can put that amount in the loan.

Anyone own one? Any thoughts on this set-up? Anybody want to talk me out of it?
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)
14 REPLIES 14

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
We also have a Travel'r, been running perfectly for 6 years until this year when I bent the LNB arm slightly. Tech support and Customer service were good diagnosing and getting parts to me to fix the problem. I would buy one again. It works well under light trees where there is a little sky showing. We carry a manual dish just in case but have only used it 2 times in 6 years of travel. Like any product sometimes you can get lemons and poor service.

Dave

harley dave,
just curious as to what your problem was that you replaced the LNB? my winegard swm worked fine for the first 6 months we owned it...now it just keeps searching (never peaks, never stows away automatically)...i am waiting for a new LNB to be shipped, but i don't think it will help.
was yours just searching before the LNB was replaced?
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased 3 HD receivers and now waiting on my unit to come in for the Sat install. I'll be glad I have it since I always wished I had TV in my past units.

I'm excited for my October/November camping trips. Even better when you can chill in the woods, beers in hand and watch College/Pro Football in front of a fire.
Me ('72), DW ('76),

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Travler.

We never leave home without it. Our RV is our home. No it will not penetrate trees so we have a portable for the rare occasion we need that for an extended stay with things in the way. It is even better now that I converted it to the SWM model. It makes the portable setup a bit easier with one cable.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hear you when it comes to having all our favorites sports and premium channels along for our RVing excursions, always wondered how durable and effective the Winegard Travler was as we do not appreciated the low resolution SD channels provided by most automated domes and plan on making the investment on our next new rig.

Currently not a pressing issue as we have been setting up our own satellite antenna since the advent of Directv a couple of decades ago. When they started delivering HD content we found setting up the larger satellite antenna and capturing all three satellites was indeed not much more difficult than acquiring the single SD satellite.

It seems you have done well with extended warranties in the past which is uncommon for RVs, sounds like you are covered for any mishaps on your Winegard Travler should they arise. Although $2500 is a lot of dough, it is your hard earned cash and if it makes your RVing more enjoyable it is money well spent. Enjoy your new rig and the glorious HD from your Winegard Travler!!!

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Travel'r, been running perfectly for 6 years until this year when I bent the LNB arm slightly. Tech support and Customer service were good diagnosing and getting parts to me to fix the problem. I would buy one again. It works well under light trees where there is a little sky showing. We carry a manual dish just in case but have only used it 2 times in 6 years of travel. Like any product sometimes you can get lemons and poor service.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had our dealership install the Trav'ler in 2013 and we love it. Have not had any problem with it to date. Prior to this we purchased the self standing satellite system. Before bringing it home DH had complete step by step setup instructions at the store, how to find the satellites, etc. When he got home, we went through the steps again for practice and could not lock on to a satellite. Bought all the gadgets to help and nothing. It all went back. DH said, "RV'ing is supposed to be relaxing and spending an hour plus setting up the satellite is not relaxing." With the Trav'ler, we push the button and wham, we're locked on to all three. Often what we do, when we get to a site, is first start up the satellite and if we can't lock on to all three, then we move the RV till we do, then we finish setting up. When we boondock, we check the trees in relation to the direction of the satellites to determine where we'll setup camp. Enjoy.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine around 2008 and it pretty much sits there and runs. I have had the opposite experience when talking to Winegard. They always respond and I have bought Travler parts as well. I know they have a policy of returning the unit if it ever completely blows up and if that ever happens to me I'll complain as well as I don't trust most service departments, but obviously Winegard doesn't either..

OP- also keep in mind that in DirecTV land, the Travler is the only one that will do HD unless you set up a tripod. Also, tree occlusion is completely different on a Travler vs. Tailgater (Direct) as the satellite shot is scattered over 3 satellites with HD carriers that are nowhere near as forgiving as the SD satellite. The antennas gain is significantly higher, but trees are no friend of Ka/ Ku
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine myself, back in 2010. It is great! Tree cover can be a problem. What I did that helped it out a lot is I installed a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter. I did it with an ATF powering everything except the converter. The main purpose was so I could utilize the optional auto stow feature/cable for the dish.
If I forget to stow it, when I first use the brakes. it triggers the auto stow. Yes it has saved my bacon.
The side benefit is that when setting up camp, I can activate the dish first thing to see if I have a signal problem before getting too far into my setup. If I have a signal, then I continue with setup. If not, the dish will be pointing in the right direction, making it obvious where the problem is. A small TT repositioning usually fixes it it quickly.

Although not necessary, the whole house ATF install is really nice for other things. All outlets are live all the time, for light duty use. Laptops, cell phones, shavers. various chargers etc.
Naturally, I have to be aware of the need to spark up the generator for large loads. But the inverter can handle most of what is needed.

One thing to consider though. The Traveler when I bought it could be converted to other carriers for about 200.00. That is no longer the case. At least not for me using DISH. I was told that the Direct TV versions can be made to take DISH, but not the other way around. I would check into this yourself, if it is a concern... Also, it may not be the case in the future as the product and availability may change in the future
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Azdryheat: You're exactly who I need to talk to. I have the wireless Genie also, but wondering if you need Wireless internet? Also, what all do you need to take to get the wireless genies to work? Having to purchase 3 additional receivers was kind of turning me off to the whole thing, but if I can easily take my home set-up, that would be awesome.
Me ('72), DW ('76),

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaning against the $2500 spend on the Trav'ler. As far as the Extended plan...I've had it on the last 3 of my trailers and got my money back plus. My last trailer had the AC go out, Hot Water issue, electrical and our Awning motor. Always been thankful I opted to purchase.
Me ('72), DW ('76),

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I bought and personally installed the Travler in my Voltage. It's been awesome and I recommend it. It's also the only antenna to get Directv in High Def. The one button push to set up is awesome. I also use the wireless Genie so the signal is free from any interference in the trailer's coax system.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Same answer.
But to paraphrase an extended warranty is usually not worth the paper their printed on. 80% dealer profit with so many exceptions you likely would get nothing out of it.
On top of thst a roof mounted sat dish needs a clear view of the sky. Meaning trees and you will have no signal.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
It would be fully covered under the 7 year extended Warranty. This means that the dealer would take care of it, not me. Does that change things, or still a big No
Me ('72), DW ('76),

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
DONT!
There are two of us here on the forum right now with total failure of them. Winegard has absolutely ZERO customer service and requires you to ship the whole thing back to them for service. At over 80 pounds shipping is going to set you back at least a hundred dollars each way. Just for starters.