cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3.5 eco boost w/ 10 speed

nmhuntr
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you with a similar tow vehicle do you just use the tow/haul mode or do you also lock out a couple of the higher gears?

Thanks
2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EB 3.55s
10 REPLIES 10

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
On mine I lock out whatever gears needed to keep the rpm at 2k or a little higher. Im not a fan a lots of boost at low rpm=high cylinder psi. Not that I dont think ford has safe guards built in, but the mpg is the same or maybe even slightly better in the lower gears. Less boost, less fuel.

Not a big deal, but it feels better to me is all.

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer
2018 f 150 with 3.5 and 10 speed. Tow haul mode and lock 9 and 10 out. Only on long gradual downhill grades will let it shift into 9th.

I monitor my engine and transmission with torque pro app, and have not found any advantage to manual downshifting with it. This is coming from a former Ram 3500 owner who would only drive manual transmissions because I could do better than the autos. That was then, now....... Maybe its not the trucks are better, maybe I am worse.
2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford 3.5 with 10 spd. Tow haul mode is much smoother

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bunch of changes since โ€˜05, 32. Transmissions are now 10 speeds. My transmission has never lugged in tow/haul.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
05 suburban 5.3, 11 Silverado 4.8 V8, with 4 spd OD's.

never liked how the tow haul works.

truck not lugging, normal shift points working fine, transmission not constantly
hunting for the right gear I use OD.

Load heavy enough to notice performance I will keep transmission in 3rd (drive)
to prevent lugging the engine and the transmission from hunting (constantly shifting)
for the right gear which over heats the transmission.

will downshift going down on a grade if needed.

knock wood 181,000 miles and 198,000 miles. only replaced 1 ignition coil and
1 water pump.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When I want to "play around" I shift my Silverado when towing while watching the tach and speed closely. Otherwise, tow/haul...superior to me shifting!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I put it in tow haul and go. I don't overthink it, the computer can monitor thousands of inputs and make decisions in split seconds; no need for me trying to out think the computer.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed several thousand miles with that setup. Always use tow haul. Did use manual shift some in the rolling hills, but usually just let it do it's thing. Towing a TT about 7200 lbs loaded.

Never been been in real mountains so can't speak to to that.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Expedition MAX, towing a 7000 pound boat. Tow/Haul, and let the auto tranny decide what gears are appropriate. It isn;'t in 10th very often. Usually 8th or 9th.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
That depends a lot on how heavy the trailer is, how fast I am going and how steep the hill is. I generally use tow/haul for anything over 4,000lbs but override with manual shifting at times. I never just lock out some gears because there are always some times when coasting that I want the highest gears available. Sometimes with heavy loads on steep hills I force it to downshift all the way to first.