cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Endurance Tires VS Carlisle Trail HD Tires

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
It's time for a new set of tires. I have narrowed down my choice between GY Endurance and Carlisle Trail HD.

However, in comparing the price locally, Endurance costs 45% more than the Carlisle. For a set of 4 ST22575R15 LRE, Endurance costs CA$230 more than Carlisle HD.

Is endurance that much better than Carlisle? I heard enough good things about the GY. I would like to hear from the Carlisle owners for their opinion.

Thank you in advance!
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
59 REPLIES 59

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
TravelinDog wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
I heard Carlisle are now made in the USA....I guess TN. Heard it from a tire guy and saw it online too.

Nope. I just bought 2 Carlisle ST tires last week and they are made in china. I had to buy 2 of them on our way out of town pulling our TT on vacation and noticed bulges on the tread surface of 2 tires.

They didn't have any GY Endurance in stock at the time.:(
I bought a Goodyear Endurance last summer and I will bet $$ on which brand will last longer.

I've had Carlisle ST tires go bad just sitting there and even with no weight on them as a spare, tread bulge or tread separation on the road.
I will replace as needed with GY made in USA from now on.

Yes, the Carlisle is made in China. And yes, years ago they did have a bad rep. All this changed with the new Radial Trail model which even has a higher speed rating. Yes, the new Goodyear Endurance seems to be a very good tire. IMO they're both fine. BTW, the old Goodyear Marathons were some of the worst tires I ever owned, almost as bad as the China bombs that came on my last two trailers.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Carlisle is made in China, thus the cheap price.

Lots of top quality things are made in China. Bottom line, Both the Goodyear and Carlisle are very good tires so buy either one with confidence. Both have a big following and both are holding up well. I went with the Carlisle simply based on price. So far, so good.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
I heard Carlisle are now made in the USA....I guess TN. Heard it from a tire guy and saw it online too.

Nope. I just bought 2 Carlisle ST tires last week and they are made in china. I had to buy 2 of them on our way out of town pulling our TT on vacation and noticed bulges on the tread surface of 2 tires.

They didn't have any GY Endurance in stock at the time.:(
I bought a Goodyear Endurance last summer and I will bet $$ on which brand will last longer.

I've had Carlisle ST tires go bad just sitting there and even with no weight on them as a spare, tread bulge or tread separation on the road.
I should add that this usually happens at 3-4 years with very low miles.
I will replace as needed with GY made in USA from now on.
Just say no to the payload police :C

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some editing needed there on the tire sizes above. Gonna be hard to find them otherwise :E
Puma 30RKSS

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
It might be time for me to mix things up a bit!

1) An ST tire carries much more load than a similar sized LT tire: LT235/85R16 LR E = 3085# @ 80 psi, ST235/85R16 LR E = 3640# @ 80 psi (+18%). That means that at least one of the government tests is more stringent for ST tires.

2) US Government testing procedures do NOT produce a tire that will perform well in the US market (This applies to Passenger Car tires, LT tires, AND ST tires!) Nowadays, the tire has to EXCEED the government minimums by a good percentage to perform adequately.

Except - I believe many trailer tires are actually ST 235/80 16 which is 3417lbs - much closer to the LT tire. Actually on the Goodyear site if you just go to tire size and put in 235/85 16, you get LT tires first. In my case, my trailer weighs about 9000lbs over the tires, so much less than the tires 12K potential - so, yes, caution to weight is essential. If you have a 12K axle weight, don't buy an LT tire, you might not even buy the ST 235/85 16 and jump up to a stronger tire. Many are going with the G rated tires. But we aren't comparing G rated to E rated. Tires must first be within the weight rating of the trailer fully loaded.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
IOW, It is illegal to use a ST tire on a motor vehicle.... And perfectly legal to use an LT tire on a trailer.

Its surprising all this has been cleared up many years ago.
Granted lots of new folks pulling all types of trailers (rv and non rv) and the only thing they know about the issue being discussed is what they pick and choose from input from non tire experts on the internet....and ignore input from actual tire engineers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might be time for me to mix things up a bit!

1) An ST tire carries much more load than a similar sized LT tire: LT235/85R16 LR E = 3085# @ 80 psi, ST235/85R16 LR E = 3640# @ 80 psi (+18%). That means that at least one of the government tests is more stringent for ST tires.

2) US Government testing procedures do NOT produce a tire that will perform well in the US market (This applies to Passenger Car tires, LT tires, AND ST tires!) Nowadays, the tire has to EXCEED the government minimums by a good percentage to perform adequately.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

all those clickies your posting are old and all repeat the same ST tire mfg misinformation...that LT tires are made for trucks only. And even make the comments they don't work for tires on a trailer. And some even have said LT tires don't come on trailers.

Tireman9 blog has his opinion on the subject Its all there on rvtiresafety.net if you have the time for a long search.
Barry Smith (CapriRacer) has expressed his opinion on this and other rv websites and even on AllExpert.com answering tire questions.
A hint; don't look for certain wording like stronger sidewalls or strongest tire but rather their opinions on using a ST vs LT in a trailer position.

Good read from member SeniorGNC on LT vs ST FMVSS tire testing vs ST tire mfg advertizing. This should be a sticky on any rv website

ST vs LT FMVSS testing

That is a great link and great info. Thanks for sharing.
I searched for that old post the other day and came up empty... It is getting harder and harder to find.

I remember reading that originally, and actually digging into all of the links. They no longer work as the govt. website has undergone changes.
But I can vouch for the accuracy of the summary GNC wrote.

With all of the charges of marketing for this or that tire, it is like politics.

But these testing standards are not marketing.
They are the actual test requirements the tires must meet in order to be sold in the US market.... Only then can the manufacturers market them.... With claims of features that are not tested for.

Notice in the tests the stringent low pressure that the LT tire must pass! The ST tire has no such requirement. There is a reason that a ST tire must state on the sidewall that they are NOT for passenger vehicle use.... And a reason that LT tires are not required to state a similar restriction about trailer use on their sidewall.

IOW, It is illegal to use a ST tire on a motor vehicle.... And perfectly legal to use an LT tire on a trailer.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your welcome....and a big thanks to SeniorGNC for all the leg work through pages and pages of FMVSS 571 tire safety selections.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

all those clickies your posting are old and all repeat the same ST tire mfg misinformation...that LT tires are made for trucks only. And even make the comments they don't work for tires on a trailer. And some even have said LT tires don't come on trailers.

Tireman9 blog has his opinion on the subject Its all there on rvtiresafety.net if you have the time for a long search.
Barry Smith (CapriRacer) has expressed his opinion on this and other rv websites and even on AllExpert.com answering tire questions.
A hint; don't look for certain wording like stronger sidewalls or strongest tire but rather their opinions on using a ST vs LT in a trailer position.

Good read from member SeniorGNC on LT vs ST FMVSS tire testing vs ST tire mfg advertizing. This should be a sticky on any rv website

ST vs LT FMVSS testing

That is a great link and great info. Thanks for sharing.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the subject of LT tires, I now have 2 trailers with LT tires so I will be able to give a real world experience, after some time. My Horse trailer, a gooseneck weighs about 8K on the trailer axles when fully loaded. It has always had LT tires since new. The current tires were new in 2016 - Goodyear Wrangler HT. No issues so far. The other trailer, a Fifthweel, about 9K over the axles. Just installed the tires last week, same Goodyear Wrangler HT, at $131 a piece seemed like a good way to go. I could have purchased the Endurance at about the same price, but wanted to go with the LT tires. So, I will be the first to say it was a bad decision if in fact it was. I guess more to come in a few years...

I think I will go another season on the horse trailer, then change them out before the summer of 2022. But, then I can sell the LT tires for $25-$50 each to some guy that needs tires for his truck or van. Much better than that guy buying from a junk yard or scrap tire dealer as the tires although old will have great tire tread. Can't do that with an ST tire.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
Sorry, can't help myself.

Here is another clip to check out. This one comes from a tire dealer.

ST description

Now, I am done.

ST vs LT FMVSS testing

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've run Firestone Trans Force, Carlisle HD Trail, and now Goodyear Endurance. The only blow out I ever had was a Marathon on a 5er I had just bought and was in the process of taking one tire at a time to the tire dealer to get replaced. I should have taken that one first.
I went with the Endurance.
Puma 30RKSS