Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 SD trailer tow rating

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Folks,
I'm 80% through the selection process and realized I should probably go back and check my travel trailer tow rating math. I'm looking at the 2017 Super Duty specs and I'm trying to determine which limit applies to the F250 I'm currently negotiating.

On this page (link) I see two max trailer tow ratings 15Klbs and 17.6Klbs. The truck config is as follows: F250, 4x4, SCrew, 6.7, lariat

Last question. If the payload sticker is 2190 and I load up say 1,100 pounds on the hitch does that mean I can put another 1090lbs of people, fuel and stuff in the bed?

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I really appreciate all the input. I found the 2017 Ford tow guide, which gives me the exact tow capabilities for the 3 different GCWR (21.9K, 22.5K and 15K).

As I'm buying off the lot, my choices are a little more limited. Seems no dealers, within 100mi, want to stock the camper / trailer tow package. Regardless, as even 21.9K GCWR still gives me 1,410 max hitch weight which is plenty for today's travel trailers. I'll be verifying the door stickers tomorrow afternoon.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
17's should be much better at carrying a load. Bottom line on "towing" is what the rear axle can carry!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Standard rear springs on an F-250 are notoriously saggy, you'd see 2k on one easy. The truck as a whole is very capable though.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Didn't see the exact 2 tow ratings you were talking about, but for the same truck otherwise, the difference is likely final drive ratios.
And yes you're right on with the payload cap, but know that the F250s payload rating is largely related to its lower gvw rating on an essentially identical truck to a F350 due to vehicle weight class regulations. Any new 3/4 ton truck won't even brak a sweat or even appear loaded with only 2000lbs total payload on board.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, payload is above and beyond a full tank of fuel.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Bedlam
Get the truck camper package for a heavier rear suspension on your F250. Look at your tire/wheel options so you get the highest rating available. Mine was a beast whether towing a heavy bumper pull toy hauler or carrying a truck camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get the Trailer Tow Package - High Capacity, otherwise look at the 350's. There is not much payload left on a 250 after you fill the tank and add 3 or 4 people.

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Yes, if the payload sticker is accurate. The best way to determine actual payload capacity of your tow vehicle, or trailer for that matter, is to weigh them and subtract that amount from their GVWR. In the automobile industry payload stickers tend to be more accurate as compared to the towable RV industry where dry weight is rarely accurate. The more options a vehicle or RV has the greater chance that actual weights will not match sticker weights. TT or 5er also has to be weighed once fully loaded for travel to determine actual tongue/hitch weight since brochure weights are grossly understated in most cases. Enjoy your new truck and RV!!!

Thanks for the confirmation. TV this year, TT next year.

I thought I was headed down the right path. However as I'm sure everyone's been through, the numbers all started to blur together.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sure but I don't believe in maxing out payload because people load more and more stuff.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, if the payload sticker is accurate. The best way to determine actual payload capacity of your tow vehicle, or trailer for that matter, is to weigh them and subtract that amount from their GVWR. In the automobile industry payload stickers tend to be more accurate as compared to the towable RV industry where dry weight is rarely accurate. The more options a vehicle or RV has the greater chance that actual weights will not match sticker weights. TT or 5er also has to be weighed once fully loaded for travel to determine actual tongue/hitch weight since brochure weights are grossly understated in most cases. Enjoy your new truck and RV!!!