cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet question for Host Mammoth owner

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Please excuse the question as I am trying to make a final decision on a camper and no dealers near by to see in person. For those Host owners, looking at the picture link below is the toilet installed in an akward positton? Not only does it sit on a shelf, it is set further back.

link

I am assuming feet dangle which really isnt healthy and for the gentleman do you have to balance yourself on the little ledge when standing up? How large is the toilet,is it like the smaller ones that are in the Lance Campers? Has anyone actually upgraded the toilet to a porcelain elongated toilet? Or is there something liek the squatty potty for this setup? Squatty potty

A seasoned Overlander emphasized to me the power to being able to go to the bathroom comfortably is the key to long term success on the road. Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Wikel wrote:
What's the clearance to the bathroom door when the slide is closed?

Is this the dimension you were looking for?

Correct. Just didn't know for sure how close the toliet was the the bathroom for with the slide closed. Thanks

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
cartmancartman wrote:
Im thinking this toilet can easily fit
this

I installed one of these in our Arctic Fox before we sold it. Nice toilet. Definitely an improvement over the Thetford stock unit.

Have you seen the Host in person? The toilet is a pretty nice porcelain unit. I am 6-3" and 250 pounds. It is plenty big enough for me to use comfortably.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Im thinking this toilet can easily fit
this

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Wikel wrote:

Is this the dimension you were looking for?

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer
Spearfisherman71 wrote:
Wikel wrote:

Not sure I understand the question but you can't get to the bathroom with the slide in.

Question was someone looking to change the toliet. I thought the bowl depth was pretty close the the sliding door when the slide was closed (i.e. if it sticks out too much then it will hit the door when slide is closed).

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
Couple dumping tips I've learned. I put the slide out when I dump so many can get to the grey without the black dripping on me. When I dump the black and have access to water to flush the black, I add a clear extension to tell when it's clean. The grey pipe was stopped short of the generator exhaust which makes it hard to reach. I added two 45 degree fittings and @ a 12" extension to bring it close to the edge of camper. Much easier to connect.

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
Wikel wrote:

Not sure I understand the question but you can't get to the bathroom with the slide in.

Wikel
Explorer
Explorer

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second Host Mammoth camper. We use the E-Z Foldz 9" Folding Step Stool that costs about $8. It folds up and stores between the toilet and the wall; couldn't be easier. Works great. When not in use, it's out of the way and travels well. Also, some folks are not fond of having separate black and gray water drains. We felt the same when we bought our first Mammoth, and tried several different drain systems. Since newer Mammoths are factory-equipped with black water flush on the driver's side slide-out, there is no need to worry about the order in which you drain your black/gray tanks; simply drain the black waste tank, close the valve, run water through the flush inlet (with the drain slide-valve closed), and then drain the black water tank until clear. And, even though the gray water drain is under the generator compartment and set back, one of those folding steps makes for easy access; just sit on the step outside of the generator compartment and it's easy to access the gray water slide-valve.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
The bathroom IS one of the many reasons we buy RV's.

Been there did that.

After my purchase of my first TT where only after I was on the road did I found out you could NOT close the door to the bathroom because your knees hit it if you were over 5' tall. :R

I will NEVER ever buy an RV without actually sitting on the toilet of each and everyone till I find the RV that fits/works for me using the bathroom facilities.

Just saying I would suggest you see it, try it, up front and personal before you put good money down to buy it.

When the salesman is proudly bragging about the dinette or slide out....I'm pushing him aside to get to the bathroom to see if it will actually work for me. :C

You wouldn't be talking about 2 inch difference here and there? :B
Unfortunately with campers limited floor space, it all comes to 2 inches more or less.
FIY Camping World is selling toilet raisers. They are like 2" and when I order one for my previous motorhome I was skeptic what 2" can do, but it turned out A LOT.
We ended up with 2 TC at present and are on the fence wchich one to keep?
Side entrance, or more storage and more comfort inside and bathroom?
I bought a house in last few months and making it fitting my family needs is priority, but will I have time next year, I will consider rebuilding one of the campers to my taste.
So far no manufacturer build something I would be comfortable more than 50%
Carpets in pee area??? What da heck are those guys smoking?

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
I too found it a little awkward at first but got used to it. We originally liked the eagle cap floor plan and thought that was what we wanted until we went looked at one. We drive 8hrs to look at it and there was so many workmanship issues we sad no way and went home. 6 months later the same dealer got a Mammoth and Everest on the lot so we went looked at both. Neither had the options we wanted but ended up ordering a mammoth and very satisfied.

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thanks!

work2much
Explorer
Explorer

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, can someone measure the length of the mounting scews on the side of the base of the toilet to the rear wall? Also, while they are at it, how high is the base of the toilet from the ground.

Most rvs come with cheaper toilets but they can be easily switched out for an elongated porcelain toiler if there is enough room for the mounting bolts to the rear. I think it needs a minimum of 11 inches or so.

I didnt realize squatty potty made a model with folding legs, it might be a bit too short though. I went to their website and saw they make a bidet now,looks simple to install and about $30, might consider getting one those too.

There are pros and cons to the Host Mamoth and the Eagle Cap 1165. I loved the storage in the EC but then I realized I can simply use the shower to keep all my items/clothes in the shower and remove it the few times I do take a shower. I do not have to get the option of storage in the bedroom, which was a PIA to get to, and it gives it a more open space to sleep.