cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Vehicles . . . in the Alps

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling in Germany, Switzerland and Austria - seeing configurations like this a lot:

This is a horrible picture, partly because we're traveling 80+ mph while passing this rig, and I didn't want to be too obvious in taking the photo.
Nevertheless, it appears that this single axle TT is maybe 23'-24' in living space. And we are traveling in the Swiss Alps, and the tow vehicle is a Volvo sedan. Didn't get a look at the hitch, because everything was happening so fast. I've seen multiple configurations like this and many more with smaller SUV's towing similar rigs.

Wonder what the "yellow sticker" specs are on these vehicles?! ??
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
21 REPLIES 21

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I see those you pictured as the exception and not the rule. The European infrastructure still cannot handle units that size even when I visited five years ago. Just pull up some Euro campground pictures to see what is common or look at what is available on the used market.

They are the esception, bit like showing top end Diesel Pusher Class A'but shows the progress of their RV's Europeans use rail a lot so RV' s are not as prominent. They do not go too wilderness areas like you do in the US, but river banks historical places mainly. Large RV's would be a pain there

Bedlam
I see those you pictured as the exception and not the rule. The European infrastructure still cannot handle units that size even when I visited five years ago. Just pull up some Euro campground pictures to see what is common or look at what is available on the used market.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I never saw anything that big in the 80's when I lived in western Europe and traveled the area covering Paris, Oslo and Dubrovnik.

They are getting larger in Europe. European Caravans have become a lot more sophisticated since the 1980's like a lot of RV's elsewhere.

Bedlam
I never saw anything that big in the 80's when I lived in western Europe and traveled the area covering Paris, Oslo and Dubrovnik.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
My Scamp was heavier than most of the Euro caravans that were being pulled in the late 80's.

No these would be heavier than the Scamps and Casita's by a considerable margin. Scamp and Casita are very lightweight and can be towed by a smallish SUV. European Caravans do get 30-40ft models from the Scandinavian producers.

Bedlam
My Scamp was heavier than most of the Euro caravans that were being pulled in the late 80's.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

Foreign made travel trailers fit for where they are made for and sold as everything is smaller in most overseas countries but not a chance they have happy owners over here. So different!

I agree . I have some cousins who live in the UK. My wife and I live in Western Canada and were having a discussion with said British family, about our plans to visit our daughter who lives on the east coast of Canada. It's 2800 miles there and 2800 miles back from where we are situated.

Our UK extended family members who have visited both Canada and the USA remarked how they had forgotten how vast the distances are in North America and in their case all their adult children (in the UK) are just within an hour or two driving distance from them.

They do understand why we drive a large sedan (Chevrolet Impala- new version) with the 305 hp V6, during our extensive travels in and about Canada and the states. They in contrast, drive a small 4cylinder, diesel hatchback.

Many of us make our decision...in this world... on our needs which are often determined by geography, distance, temperature range etc.

Les

Pretty well sums up the differences. US Travel Trailers would not work for them,as the European versions would struggle in NA and Australia. On the other hand they would be more than competitive with Casita's and Scamps etc

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
It's ok, the Volvo has a Cummins in it, and we all know the Cummins can tow anything :E

Not in Europe, they are Volvo engines. Cummins is a option only in NA. It is not an option for Volvo trucks in Australia

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
It's ok, the Volvo has a Cummins in it, and we all know the Cummins can tow anything :E
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
I currently live in Belgium and you see some interesting vehicles when it comes to campers, or caravans, as they call them here. I've seen one American spec 5th wheel over here and it belonged to a traveling circus and was being pulled by an older F350. Many of the caravans are pretty wide, far wider than the tow mirrors on the tow vehicle and sometimes they don't even bother putting extended mirrors on the tow vehicle. These smallish lightweight campers apparently work for them, but I don't think I'll be adopting the European mindset any time soon.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

Foreign made travel trailers fit for where they are made for and sold as everything is smaller in most overseas countries but not a chance they have happy owners over here. So different!

I agree . I have some cousins who live in the UK. My wife and I live in Western Canada and were having a discussion with said British family, about our plans to visit our daughter who lives on the east coast of Canada. It's 2800 miles there and 2800 miles back from where we are situated.

Our UK extended family members who have visited both Canada and the USA remarked how they had forgotten how vast the distances are in North America and in their case all their adult children (in the UK) are just within an hour or two driving distance from them.

They do understand why we drive a large sedan (Chevrolet Impala- new version) with the 305 hp V6, during our extensive travels in and about Canada and the states. They in contrast, drive a small 4cylinder, diesel hatchback.

Many of us make our decision...in this world... on our needs which are often determined by geography, distance, temperature range etc.

Les

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rcracerguy wrote:
As a dual us uk citizen who moved to the us I can give some more information.

Travel nuts I quite correct. Although it has been more than 12 years since I last stayed in a caravan.

The law in the UK and I presume the EU as well is a caravan can not weigh more than the tow vehicle. That is the tow rating in the uk. Now that is different for semi trucks which can weigh up to 97000 pounds (44 metric tons UK only)

A lot of cars in Europe are diesels, and there are some bigger models have 2 axels.

The are weight police on caravanning forums according to my mate who had a caravan. I have seen 2 us every trailers in the uk both times after I moved here. The first was a us truck and 5er which I presume was a us service personnel vehicle. The second was a travel trailer pulled by a tractor trailer and I presume was a tv or film production trailer as they us American rv's for them as they have better facilities.

The Caravans generally are towed relatively short distances. You do have some pretty plush models all non UK built. Class C Motorhomes make up, about 50% of RV's overall on European roads. They can be everywhere including NA
In Scandinavia it is 62 tonnes( 136,000lb) for HDT trucks

rcracerguy
Explorer
Explorer
As a dual us uk citizen who moved to the us I can give some more information.

Travel nuts I quite correct. Although it has been more than 12 years since I last stayed in a caravan.

The law in the UK and I presume the EU as well is a caravan can not weigh more than the tow vehicle. That is the tow rating in the uk. Now that is different for semi trucks which can weigh up to 97000 pounds (44 metric tons UK only)

A lot of cars in Europe are diesels, and there are some bigger models have 2 axels.

The are weight police on caravanning forums according to my mate who had a caravan. I have seen 2 us every trailers in the uk both times after I moved here. The first was a us truck and 5er which I presume was a us service personnel vehicle. The second was a travel trailer pulled by a tractor trailer and I presume was a tv or film production trailer as they us American rv's for them as they have better facilities.
2018 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2003 F250 6.0 Diesel
DH, DW, DS & Dog

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most if not all do not have storage tanks, they have to use our equivalent of the Blue Tote to dump the gray water directly into to. Also, the toilet is Cassette toilet. I have had one.. Not a lot of fun. Not super hard but I much prefer a 30 gallon black tank.

6% Tongue Weight ISH at best
Sway control built into the coupler
SURGE brakes

Yea, not my cup of tea.

I believe that one of these new diesels would stand a good chance of ripping the box right off the frame with one of these little trailers. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Would not work in NA

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~