cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who misses the Tow Vehicle discussions?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

It’s a bummer. All the new good and mis-information has ceased. RIP tow rig forum…..

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

It's been on a steady decline for the past 20 years. When I joined in 2004 there was at least a page of threads that were either new threads or had new responses. Even while we were still on the old forum last December, the number of new/updated threads had dwindled to less than a handful a day, and most of those were being kept alive by the usual pot-stirrers. 

Now most of the usual pot-stirrers have gone "full old man," taken their balls and bats, and gone home, because of the new forum.

After two months I feel I've given the new site a fair shake, and I'm coming down on the side of the grumpy old men who passed judgement on day one. I don't like it. and if you know me I'm one of the most open minded, least fussy, most adaptable people you'll ever meet, so that's saying something.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Just posted a new video for you Grit since you're complaining the old place isn't the same.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blt2ski

1000001028.jpg

My son is out this weekend with snow showers predicted in W Washington. Not sure where at the moment. He picked the trailer up a month ago. First weekend out with it.

Marty 

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski

AT3 is a great tire for here in W Washington. Had 4 on my open diff RWD 2500. Got around very well. Both sons have them on a ext cab yota, reg cab K1500.

Only issue, I'm running 285-75-18's. I've found two? That have the P metric 50 lb tires. Most are E rated. Wish 55-60 lbs vs the P version at 45. Kills mpg. I can use two E rated tires and still carry my legal 8000 gvw......

The one I found is a yokahoma iirc. An AT that looks reasonably good. Same price as the cooper, with a 59k mile tread life vs 65k miles. Same basic price.

Reality, probably October or so before I truly worry about it!

The son with the GM, got 65k with the AT3 in a 265-70-17. Now with a 4" lift, he's running 305-65-18's. We think those would fit on my truck! My 14 has a bit more room than his 05. He just put front and rear axles from a 6.0 1500, 4.10's, 9.5" rear vs stock 8.5". Getting 1-2 mpg better with the 4.10's. pulled local passes in direct at 3000rpm or so, vs 2nd at 4500 doing 55-60mph. Good move on his part.

Id probably have to do the same gear swap with his size tires. My 6 so vs his 4 sp helps me. I'm still overall lower geared than him!

Marty

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

It's been on a steady decline for the past 20 years. When I joined in 2004 there was at least a page of threads that were either new threads or had new responses. Even while we were still on the old forum last December, the number of new/updated threads had dwindled to less than a handful a day, and most of those were being kept alive by the usual pot-stirrers. 

Now most of the usual pot-stirrers have gone "full old man," taken their balls and bats, and gone home, because of the new forum.

After two months I feel I've given the new site a fair shake, and I'm coming down on the side of the grumpy old men who passed judgement on day one. I don't like it. and if you know me I'm one of the most open minded, least fussy, most adaptable people you'll ever meet, so that's saying something.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I think a big part of the problem currently is caucused by the lack of new trailers to tow. The RV shows in our area had very few new rv's. Fewer people attended the shows even though they were free this time. Most younger people cannot afford the tow vehicles, or the trailers. 

The weather is causing problems to even get out and camp. Few reasons to even post.

I agree the old forum had a good design and was easier to use when it still worked. That was before Covid 19 came along. The new forum has the old posts. It is just harder to follow for current posters, and some don't stay around long enough to figure out the new forum.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

I apologize in advance for my upcoming rant. 

I respectfully disagree with Mntundrarat about the number of new trailers being the cause of this forums decline. While I'm not in the market I still go to all the RV shows and they are nearly all trailers. I see only a few motorhomes. It's crazy how many people are daily driving a $100k 12k pound (empty) crew cab 4x4 diesel back and forth to work or to drop the kids off at school. Trailers and tow rigs are everywhere. In the past 5-10 years I believe there are more not less. 

The market for this forum (in its old form) is there. The reason people are leaving this forum is because the format is terrible. In my opinion. 

The gas vs diesel; Ford vs Chevy; bumper pull vs 5th; Honda vs Yamaha; dually vs 19.5"; GMRS vs Ham; V10 vs Godzilla; Goodyear vs Michelin; lithium vs lead acid; and all the other arguments are as common as ever.  The potential for the lively discussion that entertained us all for so many years is still there. The pool of intelligent, educated, experienced RVers willing to volunteer their time and help a stranger online or debate A vs B is still there. Yet somehow this forum withers away by the day.

The operators of this forum took something that worked very well and was popular and useful and entertaining; and changed it to something that works very poorly and is bleeding users. There are a few of us old timers hanging on because of our past positive experience but I can't imagine new people realizing value of the forum and joining like I did nearly 20 years ago. 

I joined around 2005 (I think) and at that time I had a truck camper. I then went to a used class C and eventually to a brand new off-the-showroom-floor Thor ("Freedom Elite") Class C from Camping World (my understanding is they are related to Good Sam.) My current RV will not be my last. Like many of us, I spend big $ every year on RV gadgets. I AM Good Sam's target audience. I AM the type of consumer Good Sam should want to keep engaged. Instead, as a reward for my past contributions to RV.net and being a loyal customer of Good Sam, I was forced to jump through stupid hoops to reactivate/maintain my existing functional password and account to use the forum. And their stupid hoops did not work correctly which was very frustrating. Once I was through that frustration I'm back to this forum which is just a shell of the old RV.net experience. Again in my experience. The new forum does automatically hyperlink products which I'm sure is helpful for those that have never heard of Google.   

I apologize again for my rant. But yes I miss the old forum. This is not the same. 

Patrick

I was only describing what was happening here in Minnesota. Thing may be different in other areas of the country.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

blt2ski

I look daily in the evening. 

This one is hard for me to tell if ANY new posts have been made. One HAS to from what I can tell go from forum to forum. 

Thought about doing a tire thread, as my Duratracs will be done within a few months. Thank you very much......I can hear the noise, I'm tone deaf from an octave above middle C on up! I don't need tires with this much traction. 

Marty

I use two different ways to identify new postings.

1) At home I bookmarked this link. I have it in my shortcut bar at the top of my browser. It opens all new posts sorted by discussions.

Link 

the second method.

On the top right of any page click on the Good Sam. This will take yo to the home page.

Then on the right side of the home page scroll down until you see unread posts.

opnspaces_0-1709362633108.png

At the bottom or Unread Posts click on View All

on the new window that opens click on Discussions to sort by discussions.

opnspaces_1-1709362725663.png

Then read away.

Hope that helps

@blt2ski 

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Duratracs definitely live up to their name. Long lasting and great traction imo. And “quiet” or “smooth” are not part of the name. 
Actually the WORST mud tires I’ve ever had for noise and vibration, by far. 
Around here, which you’re an expert, shedding water is the primary need. Any tire will hold air and hold a load. 
Best bang for the buck in recent years (I see alot of truck tires with personal and company rigs) is Nitto Terra Grap G2 if you’re looking for a semi aggressive AT. 
Based on rain, snow and treadlife. 
Toyo AT is the Cadillac and slightly quieter than the Terra’s and the price is commensurate. But most MTs will sound like you’re in a Cadillac after Duratracs!
Quieter still and on the upper end of quality I’d go Cooper AT3. 
For bargain but not chinesium tires, I’ve had great luck with Hankooks and Kumhos but only on cars. Never run em on trucks. 
Last place is anything that Les Slobs pimps. F those guys and the horse they rode in on. They charge as much for their house brand now as Toyos. 

I have the Cooper AT3 XLT's and can honestly say these are the quietest AT tire I have ever run.

And I basically never buy Goodyear or Firestone, new. Simply due to cost. 

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

@Grit_dog...Yup, I miss confronting the mis-informed, on the old forum. Took a while (years) to convert many members, to actually understand the meaning of the sticker numbers, and where they came from. I miss many of the good folks (forum friends), that didn't cross over. Good to see you here, and Joe too! Howard was here early on, but like me, seldom posts anymore. I have to register my password, and other info, to be able to post, so I often just do a quick read, and move on. I am on other forums that are easy to access, and see some old friends there. Ron has disappeared, but noticed Marty and Dave posting early on. Not sure if most have trouble signing in, needing to give information first, or just me, but easier just to read, since not much happening anyway. 

Take care buddies,

Jerry 

well..... we can easily start a new one ourselves.... 😁

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet