cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle w/ Best Back Seat for Passengers - Ram Mega Cab?

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings!

We are looking to purchase a 1 ton tow vehicle (2021-2024). We are aiming toward a Ram 3500 SRW CTD Mega Cab because its rear seats recline and it appears to have more back seat room than the Ford or Chevrolet/GMC.

We would like something with the best rear seat passenger comfort we can get -- we are assuming all of the 1-tons are good for front passenger comfort and can adequately tow a 9,000 lb travel trailer.

Has anyone compared the back seat comfort of the 1 tons and found anything better than the Ram Mega Cab in this measure?

Thank you!
33 REPLIES 33

WisTexan
Explorer III
Explorer III

I don't own the Ram 3500 SRW CTD Mega Cab; but I do own a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie 4door Cab and there is so much leg, hip and head room in both the front and rear seats with reclining rear seats - you are comfortable no matter where you ride.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I wonder what the load capacity is on this one?

This thread had me thinking about his NICE monster of a truck. RAM had a concept truck the "LongHauler"

In smaller states he could be entering a third one before exiting the first one! Have not seen him around the TDR site for quite a while!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:

This thread had me thinking about his NICE monster of a truck. RAM had a concept truck the "LongHauler"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

My youngest son owned one of these and he pulled a 48 foot fifth wheel with no problem

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
fugawi wrote:
SuperBus wrote:
You could always go this route, and get the mega cab and the long box!

https://trex-tech.com/mega-cab-long-bed-conversion.html

Cool! Thank you.

No problem! There are a few other shops that specialize in that conversion too. I am not familiar with any of them personally but do know folks who have had it done and it sure is cool. It lets you have your cake and eat it too.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
SuperBus wrote:

Cool! Thank you.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:

There is really not that much more leg room in the backseat of a MegaCab , I have the MegaCab . and we compared it to my sons crew cab , if I remember nearly all the extra room back there is behind the seat . I personally prefer the MegaCab over the crew cab . A couple things , one is I like the extra room behind for fly rods , and other gear. The other is there is no notch in the middle of the seat on the MegaCab like the crew cab . I wouldn’t think that would be that comfortable for the middle passenger, not a big factor for me , but for a family carrying five , it could be .Maybe the newer Rams do not have that notch , my son has a 2022 Ram 3500 Crew cab , I’ll have to look .

As far as bed length the MegaCab has the same length bed as the crew cab , they both are 6’-4” , so as far as losing bed space they are the same . Unless as I know you don’t like the short beds , and that’s what you are saying .

Thank you. Appreciate that insight with you having a Mega Cab.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, The Mega's rear seats do recline.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Aside from losing bed space you also lose payload. Consider that.

Please explain.

Heavier cab reduces the payload.

Payload Mine 5,680 Mega 5,480 loss of only 200#

Not enough to make any difference IMHO.

Anyway it's nice to have options!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP is considering a Mega Cab because the rear seats recline in which non of the other crew cab rear seats do this.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The Ram Crew Cab has plenty of room in the back seat. And you don’t lose bed space.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Aside from losing bed space you also lose payload. Consider that.

Please explain.

Heavier cab reduces the payload.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator