cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3.0L Duramax teardown

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting video (46 min long) of a teardown of a 3.0L Duramax that failed at 146,000 miles.VIDEO
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
5 REPLIES 5

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
It won't be long before this engine goes the way of 3.0 Ecodiesel and Power Stroke.

If it does, it wasn't because it hasn't been a good engine. I think it is still around because of how good it is. GM went to the effort of updating it recently, had they planned to kill it, it would have made sense to kill it prior to spending the money to update it. That said, I am not saying that GM and everyone else doesn't spend money in a seeming moronic way sometimes. I think the EPA and politics have more play in what stays and what goes these days. It seems like the EV winds are changing somewhat from the promises made a several years ago. So maybe it will stay for a while.

The auto industry is taking a beating. Between the EPA mandates, EV being forced into the market, Union mandates, and what customers really want, I don't think they know if they need to "Wind their butt or scratch their watch".

Ram had to ditch their Eco Diesel soon after they did a complete redesign because of the black eye from the first gen ED, they couldn't sell any. Ford never committed to a diesel in half ton so they went with a existing POS engine in their parts bin and has been replaced with the Power Boost.

I don't think diesel is the right path for soccer mom use that will be in constant regen, unless they can get rid of the DPF.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
It won't be long before this engine goes the way of 3.0 Ecodiesel and Power Stroke.

If it does, it wasn't because it hasn't been a good engine. I think it is still around because of how good it is. GM went to the effort of updating it recently, had they planned to kill it, it would have made sense to kill it prior to spending the money to update it. That said, I am not saying that GM and everyone else doesn't spend money in a seeming moronic way sometimes. I think the EPA and politics have more play in what stays and what goes these days. It seems like the EV winds are changing somewhat from the promises made a several years ago. So maybe it will stay for a while.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
The owner of that truck must have been really ignorant to ignore a low oil warning for that long. I would think that the difference in oil level between a warning light and catastrophic engine failure would be pretty significant. The guy in the video seemed to think that the timing chain tensioner depended on oil pressure to maintain tension, and when oil pressure was lost the chain loosened, resulting in the Mickey Mouse ears permanently imprinted in the top of the pistons. Not sure how that would explain the grenaded rod bearing though. Either way, I guess this is what happens when you never bother changing or even checking the oil.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

If that is actually the case, 146k ainโ€™t bad for a high tech, high revving, relatively high performance engine with sub par maintenance. Canโ€™t watch 46min of something so mundane to see how rj deduced this. But can say we have a fleet of 3.0s dating back to 2019 models, some with well over 100k and the owner keeps buying them due to their reliability combined with stellar fuel mileage. 
GM has the floor now. If theyโ€™re not cranking out as many of them as they can, theyโ€™re on crack. No competition and same power and 10mpg better than equivalent gassers is a winning combo. They also have the short trip regen figured out. 
I like simple and these arenโ€™t, but if I was buying a new half ton tomorrow it would be one of these. Hands down. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold