cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle w/ Best Back Seat for Passengers - Ram Mega Cab?

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings!

We are looking to purchase a 1 ton tow vehicle (2021-2024). We are aiming toward a Ram 3500 SRW CTD Mega Cab because its rear seats recline and it appears to have more back seat room than the Ford or Chevrolet/GMC.

We would like something with the best rear seat passenger comfort we can get -- we are assuming all of the 1-tons are good for front passenger comfort and can adequately tow a 9,000 lb travel trailer.

Has anyone compared the back seat comfort of the 1 tons and found anything better than the Ram Mega Cab in this measure?

Thank you!
33 REPLIES 33

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Crew DRW has PLENTY of room in the back seat and I have some tall friends. I am tall and never have to move my seat forward. Never have understood the MegaCab thing as it causes you to loose so much bed space.

There is really not that much more leg room in the backseat of a MegaCab , I have the MegaCab . and we compared it to my sons crew cab , if I remember nearly all the extra room back there is behind the seat . I personally prefer the MegaCab over the crew cab . A couple things , one is I like the extra room behind for fly rods , and other gear. The other is there is no notch in the middle of the seat on the MegaCab like the crew cab . I wouldn’t think that would be that comfortable for the middle passenger, not a big factor for me , but for a family carrying five , it could be .Maybe the newer Rams do not have that notch , my son has a 2022 Ram 3500 Crew cab , I’ll have to look .

As far as bed length the MegaCab has the same length bed as the crew cab , they both are 6’-4” , so as far as losing bed space they are the same . Unless as I know you don’t like the short beds , and that’s what you are saying .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fugawi wrote:
Thank you for the insights above. Do any of the crew cab models have rear seats that recline? Transporting someone with back issues and the recline relieves things.

Put the back issue person in the front.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
fugawi wrote:
Thank you for the insights above. Do any of the crew cab models have rear seats that recline? Transporting someone with back issues and the recline relieves things.

Nope.

What's wrong with this person riding shotgun?

I had an elderly friend that traded off his beautiful stock 1500 pickup for a minivan because the ride was too hard on his back. To me it rode like a cloud. There was no way he'd be able to ride in a 3500 even a modern one with relatively soft suspension.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mega is the only reclining back seat truck, ever. All the new crew cabs have similar rear leg room. Ram and Ford, in that order, have GM beat for seat comfort and noise. 
That said, anyone with significant back problems isn’t likely goin to be very comfortable in a HD towing anything, or empty, for that fact. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I am with the “can’t go wrong with any crew cab” group as far as leg room and comfort. Can’t speak for the mega cab as I have had one F250 LB CC and two F350 LB CCs. Hunting buddies have ridden 300 miles each way to our hunting cabin and each time I got a new one they always commented on leg room and on how comfortable they were.

blt2ski
As said. Go sit in them!
With that said. I've seen specs that show the maga cab having more room than a Ford/GM crew cab. As noted by one, his 6' 2" son fits fine with no issues in his Ford. My twin 6'4" sons fit in my 96 and 05 GM crew cabs. Granted my 2014 GM 1500 is an extended cab. A bit less room. They fit back there fine too. Seats have been comfy in all three, the few times I've been in the back. I'm 5'11".
Drive them all and decide what is best for you.
My 1500, is a 6.5' short box. I do admit the 145" WB is nice from a getting around stand point vs mu CC 8' bed trucks. I'm not NEEDING an 8' box as I have in the past. Then again, not every one has a 14' - 7 ton capacity dump flatbed in there back yard either.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just looked up my 15 Crew 3500 4x4 4wd Aisin 4.10 truck and compared it to the same Mega. SAE J2807 ratings.

Payload Mine 5,680 Mega 5,480 loss of only 200#

Front axle Mine 6k Mega 6k Same

Rear axle Mine 9,750 Mega 9,750 Same

GVWR Mine 14k Mega 14k Same
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son is 6'2", and says he has plenty of room in the back seat of my 22 F-350 CC.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
I think it was back in around 2015 or 2016 that all manufacturers increased the rear passenger room. I think you can't go wrong with any of them in the years you are looking. As for bed length, the only thing wrong with my truck is the 6 1/2' bed. We have been looking at new trucks and finding a "long" bed is incredibly hard. Good thing I'm not in a hurry. What happened to trucks being used as trucks. The 6 1/2 foot bed is small regardless of what you are putting in there, unless you don't plan to use it as a truck. We haul hay, wood, trash, etc. And for towing, the longer wheelbase increases stability.

Simply order the truck exactly how you want. Had one "COMPROMISE" bed truck and hated it, great truck besides that.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
p220sigman wrote:
Comfort is a relative term. The Mega Cab will have the most overall room (knee/leg room as well as room behind the seat, but that does not necessarily make the ride the most comfortable. Most any crew cab truck is going to have sufficient room, it is up to you to decide which truck has be best overall seat and overall riding experience. I would suggest riding in all of them and then make your decision. I had an older Mega Cab. Loved the truck and the room, but the rear seat was not that comfortable, especially on long trips.

Longbed Crew like mine will have a better ride over the similar 3500 Mega.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
Aside from losing bed space you also lose payload. Consider that.

Please explain.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My 15 RAM Crew DRW has PLENTY of room in the back seat and I have some tall friends. I am tall and never have to move my seat forward. Never have understood the MegaCab thing as it causes you to loose so much bed space.

Well said... If I were a betting man, I would bet Ram will no longer make a MegaCab on their next gen trucks.

Honestly I sure wouldn't spend near 100k based on the back seat comfort of my passengers!

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it was back in around 2015 or 2016 that all manufacturers increased the rear passenger room. I think you can't go wrong with any of them in the years you are looking. As for bed length, the only thing wrong with my truck is the 6 1/2' bed. We have been looking at new trucks and finding a "long" bed is incredibly hard. Good thing I'm not in a hurry. What happened to trucks being used as trucks. The 6 1/2 foot bed is small regardless of what you are putting in there, unless you don't plan to use it as a truck. We haul hay, wood, trash, etc. And for towing, the longer wheelbase increases stability.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Comfort is a relative term. The Mega Cab will have the most overall room (knee/leg room as well as room behind the seat, but that does not necessarily make the ride the most comfortable. Most any crew cab truck is going to have sufficient room, it is up to you to decide which truck has be best overall seat and overall riding experience. I would suggest riding in all of them and then make your decision. I had an older Mega Cab. Loved the truck and the room, but the rear seat was not that comfortable, especially on long trips.