cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Semi's as tow Vehicles

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
This is similar to others I have seen here. The 5th wheel or 5th Caravan as they call it here tends to be a Custom or converted commercial trailer

15 REPLIES 15

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
At last but not least a Japanese Heavy Medium with a Custom 5ver

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
dblr wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
dblr wrote:
I am one that tows with a semi and when we bought ours (with the Smart car) we got the package for around. $33,000, two years ago we converted a friend's truck he bought, truck $18,000 (2005 Volvo) then they got a 2015 Smart for around $8,000. Deals can be found but take time

Did you single yours, or is it still a tandem? I've considered going this route, I have a few thousand miles in a mid 2000s Freightliner Columbia pulling a 53', and even the "Freightshaker" was very easy to drive and comfortable on the highway. I can imagine a quality truck like a KW with full air ride would be even more so, pulling a relatively light RV.

Our is still original with 2 rear axles, this way if I ever change my mind and switch from the Smart to a vehicle that would needed loaded front to rear it can still handle the weight.

I almost went this route, and in hind sight I should have as it would have been cheaper than buying a newer 1 ton ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
dblr wrote:
I am one that tows with a semi and when we bought ours (with the Smart car) we got the package for around. $33,000, two years ago we converted a friend's truck he bought, truck $18,000 (2005 Volvo) then they got a 2015 Smart for around $8,000. Deals can be found but take time

Did you single yours, or is it still a tandem? I've considered going this route, I have a few thousand miles in a mid 2000s Freightliner Columbia pulling a 53', and even the "Freightshaker" was very easy to drive and comfortable on the highway. I can imagine a quality truck like a KW with full air ride would be even more so, pulling a relatively light RV.

Our is still original with 2 rear axles, this way if I ever change my mind and switch from the Smart to a vehicle that would needed loaded front to rear it can still handle the weight.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
campinghut wrote:
We have a dealer for them here in Canada. https://www.rvhaulers.ca/inventory/

I was lucky enough to attend a rally for the HDT vehicles in Tn. one year and Gregg was there as well, very nice and helpful person who wants to make sure anyone who is looking at doing this totally understands all the options an converting a truck.
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Anyway here is one you would never see in the US. An old European Semi. Looks like a Custom 5th wheel as well

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
dblr wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
Robert, thanks as I always appreciate the pictures you post of all the unique units you have there.

Yes many of them need a fair bit of explanation as the overall RV market in Australia is very different to what you would experience in North America or Europe

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
We have a dealer for them here in Canada. https://www.rvhaulers.ca/inventory/
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Robert, thanks as I always appreciate the pictures you post of all the unique units you have there.
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Similarly common in the states...even seen similar in Europe.

Biggest difference is they generally don't modify semi trailers but just buy big 5ers.

A lot of them carry a smart car in front of the trailer as the trucks aren't great for non towing use. At that point a diesel pusher MH pulling a car seems to make more sense but it's their money and if it makes them happy....

Yes they tend to have a midsize SUV on the tray. Yes you can have converted coaches towing a garage( boat and SUV) but if you get a bargain with the truck or are used to driving them then that would be the way to go.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Similarly common in the states...even seen similar in Europe.

Biggest difference is they generally don't modify semi trailers but just buy big 5ers.

A lot of them carry a smart car in front of the trailer as the trucks aren't great for non towing use. At that point a diesel pusher MH pulling a car seems to make more sense but it's their money and if it makes them happy....
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Here is something similar

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
There's a lot of people here using Class 8's to tow the really big FWs. The favorite seems to be a Volvo with 500k+ miles. Used to be, you could buy one for less than a new 350/3500 1 ton pickup. Most people modify them to a single axle and sell off the spare to recoup a bit, like upwards of $10k USD, from what I've heard.

Lyle

Something similar here