cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Super Duty on order

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I have a new F350 with the 7.3 liter on order. Its probably going to be 6-8 months for delivery and once we get that we are going to look for a 5th wheel. While I initially saw a lot of comments on here regarding that engine I'm wondering for those of you that have had it for a couple years are you still happy with it as a tow vehicle? We are probably going to look for something in the 10-12000 lb category. TIA
58 REPLIES 58

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
troy t wrote:
So we got the new truck last week. Not bad, basically 2 months from order to delivery, much quicker than we expected. Love the truck so far but havenโ€™t really done anything with it. Will be pulling 6-7000 lbs this weekend up to the cabin snowmobiling. Looking forward to how that feels. Then I think we start shopping for the new to us 5th wheel.

Good luck!!! Check the avi forecast(if applicable); lots of unstable snow in many places right now.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
So we got the new truck last week. Not bad, basically 2 months from order to delivery, much quicker than we expected. Love the truck so far but havenโ€™t really done anything with it. Will be pulling 6-7000 lbs this weekend up to the cabin snowmobiling. Looking forward to how that feels. Then I think we start shopping for the new to us 5th wheel.

You need the Long bed to get the 48 gallon tank
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The F150 trailer options can be confusing. I hope you had a sale rep who knows his stuff !

Not really. If it has the big Ecoboost and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the big 9.75โ€ rear axle (visibly different) it is in the 13-14klb tow rating category.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I have the club cab short bed, so the 30 gallon gas tank. Does the crew cab short bed give you the 48 gallon tank? I want to tow 500 miles between fill ups, so either way you are short in range. To make life easy (I am so old I remember gas pumps at truck islands) I only want to fill up once a day. My only big change was adding a 41 gallon aux tank to the bed. That gave me the range I required. The most painful part was cutting into the filler neck to install the spool piece. DW would have been very disappointed if I messed up the new truck!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mosseater wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Sucks gas? No way! Just ask the 20mpg empty guy who posted here a couple days ago! Lol

Answers my question about the paste in 3rd grade.

I know, right? 20mpg in a big Hd gasser is just nuts! Lol

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Sucks gas? No way! Just ask the 20mpg empty guy who posted here a couple days ago! Lol

Answers my question about the paste in 3rd grade.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Migileto
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 F350 Platinum with the 6.7 diesel. We live in Colorado at altitude, but it is amazing the towing availing of this truck. We had prior a 27โ€™ pull behind with a F150 V8. The drive time was always a little tense worrying about RPM and working the engine to hard. Now, we set the cruise at 72MPH and steer her to the next destination. I agree that she is a gas hog- we spent around $900 for fuel hauling our 36โ€™ FW from Denver to Tucson and back. But I gotta say, it was the most relaxing drive and I did not mind making it.
Good luck

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 trailer options can be confusing. I hope you had a sale rep who knows his stuff !

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually got another email saying itโ€™s been rescheduled but now itโ€™s moved up a week. Being built the week of 2/27. If so thatโ€™s basically only a month after ordering it. I can live with that but have to start camper shopping now also.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4.30 is a little stout if you do a lot of 90-100 mph empty cruising.
But 2000-2200 rpmโ€™s gets you up to 75-80 mph in 10th with 4.30s.
Sounds perfect for a heavy haul gasser!
Never turn down squeezing the most out of a gasser if towing heavy.
Gotta make up for the 60% loss of torque!

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

The 7.3 with the ten speed works fine for me with about 15K fifth wheel. If I were to go larger, I would suggest a diesel, but up to 15K, even with the 3.73, you are fine.

Charles
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Danger Don wrote:
Coming soon to a jurisdiction near you.

Nope, my bad in the previous thread. The geezers are rightโ€ฆ.youโ€™re only here to trollโ€ฆ.

troy_t
Explorer II
Explorer II
stsmark wrote:
A friend just picked up her 2022 F350 Lariat 2 weeks shy of 1 year after ordering. It was built in Sept. but obviously was waiting on something. Itโ€™s not really loaded up. A couple folks on FTE have ordered 23โ€™s and have build dates this month already. Who knows, best of luck with yours.

Yeah, I got a email Friday saying itโ€™s scheduled to be built the week of March 6th. Donโ€™t know that I believe that but itโ€™s already got a VIN assigned so I can track the process. I do know they were building XLs and XLTs first as some other models they are waiting for parts for yet. Weโ€™ll see, no hurry at this point.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about buying the same truck but could not justify the price.
So I kept my 2003 F250 V10 with just over 100,00 miles and changed oil on everything and all new everything else etc. Still runs great. My age 86, properly would not let me enjoy a new truck that long
samsontdog:o:W