cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 7.3 engine users?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking to start a discussion with Ford 7.3 gas owners and how they like the truck. My next truck will be pulling a 14-15K 5th wheel and will be a long bed crew cab. The 7.3 looks to be a really cool engine.

I'm interested in real world experience from owners who have towed with this engine. Is there a benefit with the 4.30 rear end and the 10 speed? Do I LOSE anything with the 4.30?

How does the engine braking do going downhill? I currently have a 6.7 CTD with the exhaust brake and I can descend long grades and lose speed without hitting my brakes. That gives me great comfort for the times I'll be in the mountains. I know that engine braking won't be nearly as strong, but Fast Lane Truck says it's decent.

Long bed CC comes with a 48 gallon tank in the diesel, does it come with a 48 gallon in the gas as well?

Anyone have the built in 2K generator feature yet? I'm hoping that Ford puts the 7K generator option in the near future... that would be really good for boondocking situations.

Is there a chance that Ford offers cylinder displacement for better economy unloaded? I'm not sure if Ford does that or not.

Anything else related to the 7.3 as a tow vehicle and a regular driver...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS
84 REPLIES 84

blt2ski
Snoqualmie is 3-4% max
Stevens is in the 4-6% range.

As noted before, local roads are in the 10-20% range around here. Freeway/Interstate roads are not a worry from a braking standpoint.
Scott is near me, Simonds is 11% on nw side, 9% se. 228th by gunclub is over 15%.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think Stevens and Snoqualmie are about 5% grades? My 03 Duramax was maxed out holding back a 14,000 lb trailer on about 7% grades (1st gear and about 5000 rpm). Unless your pulling a very heavy trailer an EB is hardly needed for 5% grades.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
The addition of the Exhaust Brake was a major factor for me upgrading from my 2005 Duramax to a 2011 Duramax. In approx 30K miles the 2005 need new brake pads, while the 2011 was still on the EOM pads when traded with 115K on the clock.

Sounds like operator error to me if your replacing brakes every 30k miles.

My truck is only used for towing and I'm in the mountains a lot. I can see that kind of mileage if I didn't have an EB.

I'll go with the driver or equal error. My 05 DW dmax went 140K miles before needing new pads all around. I was running around upwards of 16K gvw, and 25K gcw at times, mostly doing local stuff.

Marty

So you spend most your time going over Stevens and Snoqualmie with a heavy load, no EB and got 140K out of your brakes?

blt2ski
ScottG wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
The addition of the Exhaust Brake was a major factor for me upgrading from my 2005 Duramax to a 2011 Duramax. In approx 30K miles the 2005 need new brake pads, while the 2011 was still on the EOM pads when traded with 115K on the clock.

My truck is only used for towing and I'm in the mountains a lot. I can see that kind of mileage if I didn't have an EB.

I'll go with the driver or equal error. My 05 DW dmax went 140K miles before needing new pads all around. I was running around upwards of 16K gvw, and 25K gcw at times, mostly doing local stuff.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Greene728 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion—yours may vary; no experience, just thoughts:
Rear ratio: Generally, my answer is get the 3.73 and let the transmission shift. However reasons to get the 4.30 are towing more than 50% of the time or towing in the higher end of capacity (IMHO 14-15K is “higher”). Fuel mileage change will not be significant if towing a lot, but the engine will, theoretically wear out 15% faster with the 4.30.
Engine braking: well covered.
Fuel tank: Ford long bed trucks get a 48 gallon fuel tank regardless of fuel type per Order Guide.
Cylinder Displacement: Back around 1975 to 1978 Ford was working on direct injection and cylinder deactivation as a reaction to high fuel prices coming out of the original OPEC oil crisis. They scrapped it because the cost of production greatly exceeded the value of fuel saved. The technology was projected to be in the 1978 trucks, but the only thing that made it was a new 4 speed manual with an OD gear.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a problem with Rams new tow mirrors.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
hondapro wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
There isn’t a hill I’ve been on that I would be afraid to descend pulling a 16000 lb rv with the 7.3 gasser. Low gear and 6000 rpm is a lot of engine braking.

You are a brave lad !!! Can't argue the fact of what a 7.3 gasser will ,or will not do , but I towed a fairly heavy fifth wheel many years with a 7.3 Powerstroke , no EB . Had a few white knuckle experiences coming of some of the hills in Utah, Idaho ,and Montana . Yes learned pretty quickly on how to come down some of those long grades . One example is the one coming from Ennis,MT to Virginia City , MT. It has the runaway ramp if needed .

There's no comparison of the 7.3 Gas with a throttle body, and transmission grade braking compared to a 7.3PSD that has absolutely no grade braking functions.

Bottom line...I'll take a 7.3 Gas over a 7.3PSD anyday for all towing applications.

I will take a 6.7 Cummins over both of them for all tow applications .

So what are your impressions on driving a 7.3 gas truck?

I driven two different 2022 350 Superduty Laraits 6.7 Powerstrokes 10 speeds, one a friends ,and one my sons . Impression ,okay . As far as ride ,and handling I prefer my 2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Laramie Megacab . I drove my friends Larait around 90 miles , up Parleys ,and Daniels Canyons here in Utah , both good grades , ran well . Not towing so very hard to compare there ,but obviously a 2022 6.7 Powerstroke is going to pull those canyons very well towing . My 2014 will pull those same canyons the speed limit 65 on both towing , so as far as towing the new Powerstroke has no advantage over the 2014 Ram I have, and the "TOWING I DO " .

To answer your question ,first I have no impressions about the 7.3 gas truck , but I am sure it would give me the same impression as any other 350 Superduty ,I prefer the handing ,and comfort of a Ram truck . There is one thing I like about a ford truck compared to the Ram ,and that is the mirrors , sure not enough to switch back . I have driven the new 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie my other son has , those new Fords IMO have nothing over on the Ram truck .

I have driven nothing but Ford trucks since my first new one in 93. I recently started to look for a new truck I decided to also look at the Chevy and at the Ram.
I really did'nt care for the looks of the Chevy so that was out quick, I liked the looks of the Ram and when I drove it I was impressed with the ride and the comfort of it. The 6.7 has a sound of it's own and the exhaust brake is the best of them all hands down.
The mirrors on the 23 Ram in my opinion are as good or better than the Superduty mirrors, and the Ram has power adjust convex mirrors.

Im sure you can tell by now that I ended up buying the Ram. So far I am very happy with it.

My sons 2022 Ram 3500 is very impressive . He said it had power mirrors ,but I thought they were the same as my 2014, I didn't pay that much attention . Possibly the 2023 are different ?

Even after driving the two 2022 Superduty's ,and getting back in my 2014 Ram ,like you ride ,and handling just seemed better .

New mirrors came on the 23s not the 22s. I’m still getting used to them.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greene728 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:

Anybody that has a lot of experience towing/hauling with a gas engine, gets a diesel without some form of add-on retarder will be surprised by how fast service brakes wear.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
hondapro wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
There isn’t a hill I’ve been on that I would be afraid to descend pulling a 16000 lb rv with the 7.3 gasser. Low gear and 6000 rpm is a lot of engine braking.

You are a brave lad !!! Can't argue the fact of what a 7.3 gasser will ,or will not do , but I towed a fairly heavy fifth wheel many years with a 7.3 Powerstroke , no EB . Had a few white knuckle experiences coming of some of the hills in Utah, Idaho ,and Montana . Yes learned pretty quickly on how to come down some of those long grades . One example is the one coming from Ennis,MT to Virginia City , MT. It has the runaway ramp if needed .

There's no comparison of the 7.3 Gas with a throttle body, and transmission grade braking compared to a 7.3PSD that has absolutely no grade braking functions.

Bottom line...I'll take a 7.3 Gas over a 7.3PSD anyday for all towing applications.

I driven two different 2022 350 Superduty Laraits 6.7 Powerstrokes 10 speeds, one a friends ,and one my sons . Impression ,okay . As far as ride ,and handling I prefer my 2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Laramie Megacab . I drove my friends Larait around 90 miles , up Parleys ,and Daniels Canyons here in Utah , both good grades , ran well . Not towing so very hard to compare there ,but obviously a 2022 6.7 Powerstroke is going to pull those canyons very well towing . My 2014 will pull those same canyons the speed limit 65 on both towing , so as far as towing the new Powerstroke has no advantage over the 2014 Ram I have, and the "TOWING I DO " .

To answer your question ,first I have no impressions about the 7.3 gas truck , but I am sure it would give me the same impression as any other 350 Superduty ,I prefer the handing ,and comfort of a Ram truck . There is one thing I like about a ford truck compared to the Ram ,and that is the mirrors , sure not enough to switch back . I have driven the new 2022 Ram 3500 Laramie my other son has , those new Fords IMO have nothing over on the Ram truck .

I have driven nothing but Ford trucks since my first new one in 93. I recently started to look for a new truck I decided to also look at the Chevy and at the Ram.
I really did'nt care for the looks of the Chevy so that was out quick, I liked the looks of the Ram and when I drove it I was impressed with the ride and the comfort of it. The 6.7 has a sound of it's own and the exhaust brake is the best of them all hands down.
The mirrors on the 23 Ram in my opinion are as good or better than the Superduty mirrors, and the Ram has power adjust convex mirrors.

Im sure you can tell by now that I ended up buying the Ram. So far I am very happy with it.

My sons 2022 Ram 3500 is very impressive . He said it had power mirrors ,but I thought they were the same as my 2014, I didn't pay that much attention . Possibly the 2023 are different ?

Even after driving the two 2022 Superduty's ,and getting back in my 2014 Ram ,like you ride ,and handling just seemed better .

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
Never owned an FCA that I could keep out of the shop. So I see a lot of advantage in a Ford.

You should let my friend know that , he's been thru two 6.7 Powerstroke engines on his truck ,the first was a broken crankshaft , the second I didn't hear ,but it had to be replaced . I'll stick to the 6.7 Cummins .

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Never owned an FCA that I could keep out of the shop. So I see a lot of advantage in a Ford.