cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary lights

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully there's some experience in this group. Since it's getting to be sno-go season up here in AK, which means lots of early mornings, late nights in the dark and cold hooking up trailers, I'm taking the plunge and getting some auxiliary lights for front and rear on my F250.

Anyone have suggestions as to brands / setups to use or to avoid?

I want to get "in-grill" (if that's the description) lights for the front (no light bar on top of the cab) and something "in-bumper" for the back. All to be wired to to auxiliary switches in the cab for manual on/ off...no connection to any other lights.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN
7 REPLIES 7

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....appreciate the input. I'll look at Rigid and Nightforce since there is a local distributor for both of those. BarryG20 and Ksss....what you're doing with the lights is exactly what I'll be looking into (although putting them on the ATV may be next year's project). Although I may be able to utilize a top-mounted model in front, I end up backing into too many snowbanks over the winter to use anything except flush mounted lights in the rear.

thanks again
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t help you with the front.......but I can on the back. I bought aftermarket LED floodlight pods and built my own housings that mount below the rear bumper of my โ€˜02 F350. Theyโ€™re sharp! (Welder by trade)

I also ran fused battery power to a relay in the dash and used a single pole double throw switch to make then dual purpose...... Always On, even with truck off (working at night / field dressing deer) and On with my back up lights for our dark nights in the country. Center switch position is OFF

I tapped into the black/pink striped wire in my fuse panel for the reverse signal when wanting them to come on in reverse. They are super bright...... like a football field lit up.

I have lots of time and labor wrapped up in them, I looked at after
market pod housing but they are cheaply built.

Anyway, if itโ€™s something youโ€™re interested in I could post pictures from our diesel site or you can send me a PM and Iโ€™ll give you our forum name and my username where you can see the complete build.
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8โ€™ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not set my mind on a specific brand. Look for what you like, how it is mounted, type of light, and price.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have aux LED lighting on my business 3500 DRW with a flat bed. Spot lights on the side and a bar light across the back. I used Rigid. They have been installed for three years now. No issues, all the bulbs still work and they are bright. I have not used the cheaper brands, maybe they are just as good but its a work truck and especially in the Fall, Winter and Spring there is a lack of daylight here and when you need light, I need them to work. We fix equipment, load trailers with them and so forth, so while expensive, well worth the money.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Nightforce Strykers and Lances on previous trucks. They are very good lights. One set of strykers was on the front of my truck at the time for 300k miles and still worked great. Yes they were the halogen ones and no way are fitting behind/in the grill. I would suspect that their LED ones are of comparable quality now whether they would fit behind the grill I have no idea on that as I have not used them, at least yet.

I have a pair of Baja Designs S1 lights on my atv for additional lighting out front mostly for plowing snow at night in our driveway. They seem to be quality but they are fairly small lights so they might work only ok for driving lights on a truck driving at speed at best but would think rear/reverse lighting would be a good match for them on a truck especially in a wide/cornering beam or even a work/scene light pattern. They do make those in a flush mount as well.

Have not used Rigid or any other Baja Designs lights though they both seem to be good light brands from what I have read
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't intending to ask anyone to undertake research on my behalf, just wondering if there was prior experience with a brand (i.e. Rigid, KC, Lightforce) to choose or avoid. It's a 2019 F250 Lariat Diesel, fwiw.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/zroadz-oem-grille-led-light-kits/prod4790001

^^^ that's something like I was thinking for the front...it goes in the grill, but doesn't replace the factory headlights or fog lights.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/sr-q-series-pro-flood-diffused-backup-kit-flush-mount-980033.html

^^^^ That's what I was thinking of for the rear lights, but again, not experienced with any of the brands or setups.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could try searching Amazon and Ebay for front lights that mount in factory position. Hard to search for you since year and trim of your F250 isn't given.
Rear may not be in best location. Have you thought of mounting and powering off trailer?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker