Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter camping with the Atwood XT water heater

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if others have done this.

When winter camping in below freezing temps we will need to keep the water heater on during the winter months to prevent freezing.
Problem is the gas side pumps thru the propane PLUS the exposed flue pipe expels lots of heat when not lit.
I'm thinking of installing a switch on the outside of the heater that will disable the gas valve and inserting some insulation to somewhat prevent heat loss.
If I loose 120vac due to storm/downed power lines i would simply open cover, remove insulation, flip external switch then hit the gas switch inside so its back to propane.
Any others done this?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
12 REPLIES 12

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
The point of heating the water to a higher temp is to stretch the capacity to act like a 16 gal vs a 10 gal HWH.
It is an attempt at achieving luxury (long shower) while constraining build cost.
I replaced the mixer valve and use the ultra hot water to sanitize our eating/cooking ware.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
As I stated, you CANNOT disrupt the LP gas Valve wiring. Verified by Atwood. If you disconnect the Gas valve the 120 side will NOT function. The circuit board does read the gas Valve coil on 120 and if there is no reading, will lock out the operation of the 120. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having been full time for 5 years in temperatures as low as -37 c (-34 f) I know of no person who has "winterized" their water heater.

If you wish to do something and won't be using propane to heat, then some tape on the "grills" placed on the inside of the cover would help. I would stay away from blocking the flue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
The Atwood GE16EXT heats the water at a higher temperature than a standard hot water heater. This hot water, when on demand is mixed with cold water thru a mixing valve on the rear of the tank.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems you are needlessly worried about the efficiency of a water heater, while at the same time using the most inefficient water heater made.
I shouldn't have to tell you there is hardly anything less efficient than heating water to a much hotter temp then you could ever use, then cooling it off w/ cold water so you can use it,.....in turn sending 1/2 of your precious heat down the drain.
God helps those who help themselves, huh ???
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Doug. Winter camping below 32 deg. is going to be an "adventure". Im in the testing stages as the night time temps start to drop.
Deb and I joined a winter camping group on FB that only allows full timers that winter camp so I'm sure we will be learning a whole new aspect of full timing.

Robert
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I will verify with Atwood, but I believe IF the system CANNOT see the coil of the Gas Valve, the system will not fire on 120. The reason I state this is, the ECO is ONLY connected to the Gas Valve solenoid and the 120 side cannot stop if the unit overheats(stuck Tstat) and the ECO opens the circuit. Once the ECO opens the circuit, the Board cannot see the Gas Valve coil and trips and stops all operation. Doug

PS, I understand now since you clarified about the heat. IMO, you are overthinking that heat. True convection draws from below and exits at the top. On an Atwood the intake is just below the exhaust and the cold air would have to enter and then go downward before entering the flue and coming back out the top. Negligible loss.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES when propane is off/not used the combustion/exhaust chamber is a source of heat loss due to exposure to elements, surface area and it running thru the water chamber.

Having camped in 0*F and colder temps don't see the REAL need for insulating outside compartment

But doing so will not hurt anything

Thanks ever so much for the post Old-Biscuit.

To others,
The Atwood GE16EXT heats the water at a higher temperature than a standard hot water heater. This hot water, when on demand is mixed with cold water thru a mixing valve on the rear of the tank.
When the temps are below freezing cold air is drawn into the lower flue and warm air escapes thru the upper flue. I (or anyone else) can verify this by simply holding your hand up against the exhaust screen.
I do not understand how Doug can say "their should be NO heat coming out of the burner flue" The flue runs thru a tank full of 160 degree water and exits at the top of the tank. As we all know heat rises. Cold air enters the bottom, warm air exits out the top of the flue.

Now, the idea of the simple on/off switch on the gas valve...
What would happen if I place insulation between the cover and the hot water heater and someone inadvertinantly flips the heater off of electric and turns on the gas? Hmmmm, not good. Think of it as a safety switch.
If for some reason, e.g. we loose power i can simply remove the insulation, flip the safety switch and then switch on the gas switch on the panel.

Did not mean to confuse the experts.

Thanks again for the post Old-Biscuit.

-Robert
Winter camping in Henniker New Hampshire.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Why not just bypass it and drain it? Takes about 10 minutes...

"When winter camping in below freezing temps..." would be an indication that the OP will be using the WH. Hard to do if drained and bypassed.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just bypass it and drain it? Takes about 10 minutes...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES when propane is off/not used the combustion/exhaust chamber is a source of heat loss due to exposure to elements, surface area and it running thru the water chamber.

Having camped in 0*F and colder temps don't see the REAL need for insulating outside compartment

But doing so will not hurt anything
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think this is a poor idea. If you are running the water heater there is essentially zero risk of freezing. I have left the water heater off at -27 c (-17 f) and there was no freezing.

I noticed no decrease in cycling time at lower temperatures. On electric, mine cycles every four hours and runs about 15 minutes, if no water has been drawn.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What you posted does not make much sense. Clarify what you mean.
1. on 120, the temp of the water is about 160 degrees. There should be NO heat coming out the burner flue. There will be heat at the Pop Off valve
2. WHY disable the gas Valve????????????? Just turn the Water Heater LP switch OFF
3. What is the problem with any heat generated by the burner flue pipe? Doug