cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel hub temps

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my 4 chrome wheel hub caps with infrared gun...after two hours coming down the mountain hitting 89 degrees. Temps running 120 to 130 range. Normal?
10 REPLIES 10

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
He's gone
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It would be ABNORMAL to see temps a lot different than what you posted.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Using a laser temp gun on chrome is a bad idea. Go to a mirror, point the laser at yourself in the mirror and it will give you your temperature, not the mirrorโ€™s temperature. Same with chrome, who knows what temperature it actually is. Flat black is best, better yet, just touch it with your hand.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Breaking and sun create heat so one side could be warmer than the other
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

I just ran from PA to Florida and checked my rotors and hubs at each stop.

Mine were running anywhere from 150 to 200 depending on how much braking I was doing,, ALL 4 of my wheel assemblies were within a few degrees of each other at each check.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
12th Man Fan wrote:
If all four wheels were close in temps then you are normal. I would only worry if one wheel is a lot hotter than the others.
Pretty much my thoughts too. What did the actual hubs read or did you check them?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If all four wheels were close in temps then you are normal. I would only worry if one wheel is a lot hotter than the others.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
All the same? I'd call it normal especially after coming down a mountain. FYI: infrared temp guns are not very accurate on shiny surfaces, but since they were close to each other i would not worry about it.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normal. Brakes generate a lot of heat.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That would abnormal for me. Were you braking?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman