cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your favorite 12 volt circuit tester? Results

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us have several favorite pieces of electrical/electronics test equipment, from Test Lights to DMM’s. As I have grown older and starting wearing bifocals and hearing aids , I have become more and more reliant on test lights, a DMM with an audio signal for continuity and my most recent, a piezo alarm speaker with alligator clips.

What are your three favorite and most versatile, tracing and troubleshooting gizmos for the 12 volt side of life? A tool you keep in your rig because it always works and gives you the most help.

If there is a large enough response, I’ll do a spreadsheet and publish the results. I think a list of the most useful half dozen based on your feelings would be a good beginning for a Newby who needs to build an RV toolbox.

Possibly I’ll do another survey on the three most important testers for the infamous campground power pedestal.

SURVEY RESULTS

There were 21 responses to my question about your three favorite pieces of 12 volt test gear. Not quite as many as I had hoped for but I must say that the responses came from some of you that have in the past given some excellent responses to problems others have needed help with, in other words, I think on the average you are the most knowledgeable. Okay, enough sucking up, here are the results;

The most often noted was of no surprise a DMM. Somewhat of a surprise to me was the most often mentioned by name was, Fluke with Harbor Freight next. There was a smattering of other makers mentioned.

Next most often mentioned was a test light. No makers were mentioned, however two with audio were mentioned and one was noted as homemade. Analog meters were mentioned twice.

Amp-clamps were third most mentioned. With only a couple of makers named.

About even with Amp-Clamps were Jumper Wires with alligators clips. Not to be confused with battery jumpers, which were not mentioned.

A Wiggie and Fluke models of solenoid meters were also mentioned.

So in summary, counting my post, out of 22 members responding, DMM was mentioned 17 times with Fluke being the most named at 12 times.

Test lights were mentioned 9 times.

Amp Clamps 6 times, I did not count mine as I considered it an accessory. Two of the six mentioned were full scale DMMs in an amp clamp configuration and were not counted as DMMs.

So if asked, I would say that the three most recommended pieces from this sample are a DMM with an audible continuity checker, a test light(s) and jumper cables.

Accessories to the DMM would be insulation piercing probes, alligator clips for the probes, amp-clamps and other miscellaneous test lead attachments.

I was surprised to find the upgrade in test equipment since I retired, it is logical but still it surprised me. When I was 14, the Wiggans was the most common test device in a two wire electrician’s tool pouch. I really measured only AC and with a mild vibration for 120 a harder vibration for 220 and harder yet for 408. There was a little indicator that moved up and down a scale on the front of the meter. The Wiggie by Square D and others measures AC and DC, measures more things and has lights and vibration. DMMs are notably better with direct amperage metering without opening a circuit, amp-clamps were common then as with my Fluke Model 27 many were memory capable as was auto ranging but now the displays are in color and some have graphics. Amazing. Test lights even as mentioned have auto loading to emulate common loads. Great stuff out there, glad I’m retired but I’d love to play with some of that. One change I have made to both my Flukes is I buy after market test leads with permanent piercing tips and that are threaded at the back of the tips for alligator clips. I’ve always had trouble with the friction grip type probe attachments and the threaded clips do not come off. As I said in my original post, with age, audible and illuminated indications are becoming more important. Therefore, I will keep my siren in my toolbox.

Two other questions I will most likely post are about 120VAC test equipment, with emphasis on testing pedestals and what RV specific articles would be recommended for newbie reading, like, “The 12volt side of life”. So keep reading and I’ll put one of them up soon.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
22 REPLIES 22

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Free Harbor Freight DMM.

Fingers with spit on them.

Pair of dykes with good insulation. 😉

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
DMM, AC/DC clamp-on meter, test light with LONG leads.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
"If It Works It's a Fluke"
(copyright: Me)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

Probably the best tool is a keen mind and logical thinking. Sometimes I bring mine along, but sometimes I forget and leave it behind somewhere.

Well said!

I carry a $40 DC clamp meter with voltage ranges.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

ledcomp
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Power Probe Hook but I did 12 volt electrical for years. Get the 30' extension for RV's.

Power Probe Hook

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
FLUKE Continuity Meter with light, vibration, and loud piezo beeper.

Verifies voltage to 600, differentiates between AC and DC

Simple voltage indicator lights, 12, 24, 48, 120, 240, 40 and 600

Voltages that can kill are annotated with a buzz and unmistakable vibration.

Continuity buzzer and lamp and I mean my deafness is defeated with this buzzer.

This thing is INTUITIVELY SIMPLE to use

And constructed like a D8-R Caterpillar bulldozer - tough as hell.

Battery lasts a long time working or on the shelf.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Clamp on Amp meter
Digital Multimeter

battery powered electric drill with square bits, phillip, slotted, torx, etc.

Lug nut wrench and jack or ramp to drive up, if you get a flat tire.

Jumper cables

Good beer, after the problem is found, and solved.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For me, Fluke 73 series II multimeter. There are better meters available (particularly for current measurement), but this is what I have and it serves very well indeed, and has for over 20 years.

For 120V AC circuits, a non-contact voltage detector is very handy.

I don't keep these in my RV because I use them in my house at least as much. In the RV I have an inexpensive analog multimeter, maybe a half a step up from the free HF meters, which isn't as nice to use or as accurate as the Fluke but is sufficient for troubleshooting RV electrical problems in a pinch (and for spot-checking campground voltages).

Probably the best tool is a keen mind and logical thinking. Sometimes I bring mine along, but sometimes I forget and leave it behind somewhere.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
My Fluke DMM.

If you touch voltage on the wrong setting you won't need to throw one of these in the trash can. 😉

Of course the quality fuse inside may cost more than a HF meter 😞
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fluke 87
1156 bulb with two clip leads soldered on
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
1. DMM - Fluke, Radio Shack, Protek

2. Clamp-on amp meter - Amprobe

3. Fox & hound wire tracer - Triplett
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
#1. Craftsman DMM with audible continuity.

#2. Free Harbor Freight DMM.

#3. See #1.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
few things- my "must have" is a 12 volt test light- to load circuits in a way a DMM will not. An assortment of 18" leads with alligator clips on either end.
A good DMM along with several cheap models- I use a Fluke 116 with a Tenma AC/DC current clamp, a cheap DMM that Dinosaur Electronics handed out at a trade show, and a test kit I bought on sale from Radio Shack with a decent DMM (does capacitance and frequency), non contact voltage detector, light and sound continuity tester and thermocouple temperature tester- all around $50. Also have an old Archer Analog meter- don't use it often, but when I need it, nothing else does as well.

Oh yeah- a big box of replacement fuses, as well 🙂
-- Chris Bryant