Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump Tries But Fails to Pump Water

WingsFan1313
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

Thank you to everyone who has been so friendly with me on this site. I've had my RV for just under a year and you folks have been amazing in helping me troubleshoot my newbie issues.

I'm having issues with my water pump. A bit of a backstory on this issue: I took my RV across the country from Nevada to Michigan in October to visit family, assuming that it would be a quick trip. While I was home, my dad passed away, and that meant extending the trip much longer than expected... into January and the Michigan winter. In a panic over making sure the water system was winterized, I followed instructions on blowing out the lines with an air compressor, draining the hot water tank, and using antifreeze in the holding tanks/drains/toilets. I did not, however, know where the water pump was, so I could not winterize it.

Fast forward to today -- the day that I braved the inevitable and filled my fresh water tank to test the pump. Here's what happened:

• Turned on pump
  • Opened cold water lines
  • Water flowed fine after a couple minutes
  • Closed cold water lines
  • Pump stopped as normal
  • Opened hot water lines
  • Water trickled and stopped
  • Pump stopped
  • Closed hot water lines, thinking I blew out the pump
  • Opened cold water lines
  • Water now trickles, pump starts for one second and then stops.

I cannot get the pump to even come on when I turn on the bathroom sink -- only with the kitchen faucet and the shower. It trickles water, runs the pump for one second, and then quits.

My first instinct is that there is some sort of clog at the pump, but I wanted to run it by someone more knowledgeable before I tear the whole RV apart (the pump is under the bed frame in the back, so I will have to tear out the whole bed to gain access).

Please let me know if you need more information. I appreciate any insight.
2 REPLIES 2

WingsFan1313
Explorer
Explorer
That was it! Aerators at both the kitchen and bathroom were completely clogged. Cleaned them out and everything ran like a charm. Thank you so very much for your help!

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure sounds like a clog but I don't think it is at the pump. I would start by checking the aerators at the faucets. Also if you moved any of the winterizing valves make sure they are back to the correct positions.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A