cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tripped Breaker

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we had our fireplace spark last night and blow the breaker while just sitting here on our laptops.

I turned the fireplace off and tried the breaker again but it just 'trips' when I turn it on. It seems there's a short somewhere although we were just sitting here. Nothing different. If it was just we had our laptops plugged into the outlets and it was too much draw and tripped the breaker it should at least come on but it doesn't, even when I have the fireplace turned off and nothing plugged into the outlets anymore.

Weird part also is the breaker that tripped is marked 'general'. I'm not sure what that means!? As the breaker for the fireplace is a different breaker.

Any thoughts what I could do to diagnose the issue?

https://prnt.sc/32TMSgEOk_0Z

Thank you,
Paul (Ann)
We look forward to meeting other like-minded people. We would love to travel and work from our RV. Hoping to make this happen one day.

Our Rig:
2011 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
2012 5Th Wheel Alpine 3600RS
7 REPLIES 7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes very possible the FP is wired to the other breaker labeled general. In fact From what you describe Id say itโ€™s definitely wired to the general labeled breaker.
How many wires are coming into the general breaker? A bunch?
Also trip the FP breaker and see what doesnโ€™t work.
(Have you actually opened up the panel and see a wire to the FP breaker?)
If you arenโ€™t very familiar with residential electrical, youโ€™d be surprised what you might find out, depending on how hungover the electrician was that dayโ€ฆ.lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MrWizard
As suggested labels might not be correct, unplug from shore power, and try to reset the breaker,
I know if i designed the wiring, i would have fireplace and A/C on the same breaker,
Because i would only use (1) or the other not both,
Find the power cord connection for the fireplace and unplug/disconnect it,
Once you figure out what circuits power outlets, fireplace etc..
Relabel things correctly
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What else doesn't work when general is tripped? Be sure to test every plug. The fireplace could be an option and hence on the general CB.

Labels may not be accurate. Suggest checking all marked CBs to verify their label. Turn off the 2 left CBs one at a time, what doesn't work?

The fireplace problem could be a plug or a positive short before the switch. Investigate.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
You said the Fireplace sparked.. That is what is called a MAJOR CLUE.

What CA Travler said. Disconnect.
Note if the Fire place is a plug in model.. Check the outlet it's plugged into. A 1500 watt heater (Many electric fireplaces are) can melt the 15 amp "uni-box" or "Quick box" type rather easily.

I"m sure the fireplace has something to do with it since it sparked. My confusion is the breaker that tripped is called 'general' (see pic in original post) and not the fireplace breaker that's tripped.

I will try that but I'm trying to find out what the 'general' breaker is for.

Thank you
We look forward to meeting other like-minded people. We would love to travel and work from our RV. Hoping to make this happen one day.

Our Rig:
2011 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
2012 5Th Wheel Alpine 3600RS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Note if the Fire place is a plug in model.. Check the outlet it's plugged into. A 1500 watt heater (Many electric fireplaces are) can melt the 15 amp "uni-box" or "Quick box" type rather easily.
If so run a new circuit and box from your left hand CB which can be a dual CB if it's a single. I suspect "general" means multiple plugs... ๐Ÿ˜ž OK for light loads - heaters not so much...

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said the Fireplace sparked.. That is what is called a MAJOR CLUE.

What CA Travler said. Disconnect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a fireplace short. Disconnect the wires to be sure. General could be the plug circuit or something in "general".

Bob