cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd post the result of our first trip with the new battery/solar setup. If you missed the first thread on this, this spring I added 4 new 6v Interstate 225 AH batteries (along with 2 new AGM starter batteries - Geez), another 100 watts of solar for a total of 200 watts, and a cheap PWM controller.

The trip was to Assateague NP and a new KOA in Chincoteague. We also did 2 nights at Harvest Hosts locations, so it was 5 nights dry camping and 5 nights with full hookups.

With full sun at Assateague, the solar kept up with the loads during the day and we ran the generator for an hour at the end of the day to top off the batteries. At this point the voltage was down to 12.7. Any big morning loads (microwave, hair dryer) required the generator, which is what I suspected. Our last night of dry camping was cloudy, so I ran the genny a little longer in the evening. Chincoteague was the only place where we needed the air conditioning and we were hooked up there. Assateague was great with a nice breeze. I imagine July and August are not like that.

In general, I'm happy with the setup, but I can see how doubling the solar would help. I'm still getting a funny voltage problem when there's no load on the batteries which I need to figure out. But my fear of toasting the control board on the fridge was unfounded. Full sun, no load the battery voltage as reported by the solar controller (which appears to be reading a half volt high) if 15.9. I haven't had the chance to measure the actual battery voltage in this condition yet. More to come on that.

I kept a very close eye on the water levels in the batteries and it looks like I used just over a quart in the 10 days.

The purpose of spending $1000 on batteries and solar was to be able to dry camp without running the generator several times a day. I feel I've done this now and the length of a dry camp stay will be limited by tank size rather than power.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
14 REPLIES 14

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
I kept a very close eye on the water levels in the batteries and it looks like I used just over a quart in the 10 days.

Seems excessive no?

Yes, absolutely. The el cheapo controller I had was over charging. I think the installer hooked up the batteries last and the controller thought it was 24 V.

I bought a 40 amp Grape Solar controller and haven't seen a charge voltage above 14.5 VDC. Normal water routine now with the unit in storage. I check the water once a month and it's a 1/4 inch down. I top off all the cells. The Grape controller has a Bluetooth connection and an app to download historical data.
Jerry & Jeanne

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer

Seems excessive no?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
just download the BT app to your phone or tablet

i've got a link someplace 'if i can find it'

Got it. Grape support is great.
Jerry & Jeanne

MrWizard
just download the BT app to your phone or tablet

i've got a link someplace 'if i can find it'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Got a Grape 40a controller and hooked it up today. It was somewhat cloudy, but the voltages looked ok. I need to have a look on a full sun day with the batteries topped off to make sure all is well, but it looks promising. Lots of good features on the Grape. I need to figure out how to bluetooth into it.

Thanx to all who helped straighten me out on this.
Jerry & Jeanne

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jplante4,

Have you measured the voltage at each panel?

Dump the Electra and purchase a Grape with a temperature sensor.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Controller

I have a 2000w Xantrex.

I'm still troubleshooting the whole voltage thing. Based on the comments from the last thread, I'm not the only one baffled on this.

I hate to throw more money at this until I'm sure what the problem is. If this is a problem with the old panel, a new controller won't help. I plan to cover the old panel and see if that fixes the issue, but for now it's usable and gives me enough flexibility that I don't need to stay at a FHU campsite every night).
Jerry & Jeanne

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the report. What charge controller do you have?

Take BFL13's advice!

I added remote start to my generator so I stop and start as needed.

For example--heat up a cup of coffee or make coffee--use the inverter and battery bank.

Making toast, coffee, bacon and eggs and water heating, run the generator. I don't like the generator--so when I use it I load it up as much as possible.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on last thread and now this, the first thing to do is toss that controller. ๐Ÿ™‚ Perhaps a good replacement would be that Grape 40 that has neat features at low cost, like Mr Wizard got.

Everyone has his own way to RV.

Not clear from OP, have to "be there" and see I guess, but it sounds like things could be improved (less gen time) just by getting a 2000w inverter. That will run from the four batteries ok. Use that to run the microwave etc, instead of the generator. Then get more solar to bring the batts up before dark. We do all that with 300w of solar, only use the gen if no sun for a couple days.

Shouldn't need to goose the batts in the evening to get by till morning. That seems strange to me. Depends on what draws there are at night of course.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------
If you really did use anywhere near a quart, your charging voltages are too high ! You are headed for ruining your new batteries.
No matter how hard the batteries were used, there should have been no noticeable consumption of water in 10 days.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
12.7 is a full charge.
That's 12.7 on the controller, 12.3 at the batteries. The consensus from the last thread was that the charge wires to the batteries are undersized and that accounts for the difference.
A 0.4 volt difference in a simple voltage reading? No, that's not because of wire size. I have a digital vm hooked up with telephone wire and it's right on.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. You mean the controller is charging at 12.7? Perhaps you need a better quality controller. That doesn't sound right at all.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
12.7 is a full charge.

That's 12.7 on the controller, 12.3 at the batteries. The consensus from the last thread was that the charge wires to the batteries are undersized and that accounts for the difference. I'm going to remedy that, as well as installing a shutoff from the panels to the controller. There's no "off" mode on the controller. Seems silly to me.
Jerry & Jeanne

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

I only wish more folks would take a bit of time and construct a report about their system. This is positively the most realistic feedback for folks considering panels (or anything else for that matter).

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
another 100 watts of solar for a total of 200 watts, and a cheap PWM controller.

...t the voltage was down to 12.7. Any big morning loads (microwave, hair dryer) required the generator, which is what I suspected.

In general, I'm happy with the setup, but I can see how doubling the solar would help.

Full sun, no load the battery voltage as reported by the solar controller (which appears to be reading a half volt high) if 15.9. I haven't had the chance to measure the actual battery voltage in this condition yet..

More solar would be good.

12.7 is a full charge. Generator? Bummer! Get 2 more 6v and you won't need to do that. But you will need more solar.

I'd check that 15.9 carefully. Sounds like the controller is going into equalize. I wouldn't want that.

Good job!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman