cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPO or EPDM

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Did some searching but didn't find what I was looking for. Simply put, I have to re roof my new to me 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180, due to leakage at that stupid Winegard antenna. Didn't find it when I bought the trailer (it was cheap, trade in to a dealer).

I am working inside a building, and have been stripping A/C, trim strips, vent caps, etc from it.

Looking at the Dicor website they have both TPO and EDPM and then also have TPO called Brite TEK which is TPO with a fleece backing to make it smoother, less likely to show irregularities, and makes it somewhat stiffer, plus some additional hail resistance.

Which is preferred, which is best?

Neither the radio or TV antenna will be reinstalled, off to the garbage they go.

It also has an A&E 8500 awning (vinyl coated material) that I will probably replace the fabric with Sunbrella (which basically makes it a model 9000) as the awning won't last more than one or two more years and while its off, it is the perfect time to replace the fabric.

Last question, where are good places to purchase the materials for the roof and the awning. Surely someone has researched and found the more reasonable priced places already.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
14 REPLIES 14

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is Alpha Systems Superflex. Not EPDM, not TPO. Essentially a type of vinyl. Same length warranty although you may as well wipe your butt with any roofing warranty.

The Alpha Systems Superflex is being used by lots of builders since around 2012, so I guess time will tell in regards to its overall life. Rockwood / Flagstaff is one, there are many others.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. As I noted in my original post, Dicor has three different products, TPO, EDPM and Brite TEK which is TPO with the fleece on the back.

I looked today, and my existing roof is black on the back side, indicating it is EDPM, which simply means that Thor obtained it cheaper than anything else, don't know that it is better or worse. The roof material is OK but the leak at the TV antenna was the problem. The sheathing on the roof is OSB, not Luan and it looks like I will be replacing the first 4 ft section on the right side. It doesn't look like it got into the sloped front wall from what I can see initially, I will need to pull some more staples and peel back the top sheet of metal on the front to get a complete look.

I will get it opened up next week and will know more. Just finished removing the LH side retainer and the front retainer today. Front retainer was heavily covered with butyl and I figured it was better to scrape it with it attached to something rather than trying to hold it in my hands and scrape it clean. Still have a lot of cleaning on the strips however. Need to get new filler plastic for the retainers, and new screws. Also have to locate a number of small items such as gutter spouts (old ones crumbled).

Thankfully I am working from a extended platform scissor lift. Took my Android tablet with me up the lift and watched/mostly listened to Youtube videos all day, makes the day go better.

I was just trying to get a better idea of which way to go with the material system.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is not really felt butDicor BriteTek has a fleece type backing. Some could say that it could act s a wick.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a search turned up this previous post:

RE: TPO versus EPDM

No. I don't know what the TPO type is. I'm sure that it has a fabric backing though. In simple terms TPO is vinyl, EPDM is rubber. About 10 yrs ago Jayco for a period of time was using felt backed TPO on some models until it was later discovered that the felt was wicking in and retaining moisture. I know of no TPO membrane used today that has felt backing and given the choice would prefer TPO over EPDM. Our current Coachmen has an EPDM roof and as is typical has the odd wrinkle, our previous K-Z Spree had a TPO roof which was perfectly flat & even throughout.

bumpy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
don't get the fleece backed variety. years back it was discontinued by at least one rv manufacturer as any tear would allow water to wick in and rot out the underlayment.
bumpy

If you tore it, then you had a problem. IF you did not fix the tear, then you had rot. Doug

are you saying that my memory is incorrect? that one mfr had this issue with felt back TPO and went to a different TPO?
bumpy

I doubt ANY OEM would stop using a TPO product with felt backing because IF the customer caused damage it would damage the decking. After 45 years in the RV industry, I can gurantee that OEM's do not care what damage by a customer will cause on the whole RV. The OEM is not liable for the damage or repair, and they will not stop using a product because of what happens AFTER a customer damages the RV. What OEM stopped using and WHO told you that? I would have NO PROBLEM using felt backed TPO/EPDM. One thing felt backed does that standard EPDM does NOT, is not wrinkle or bunch up and makes install easier. ONE Maker out of hundreds dropped the product???? Doug

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
I know that Newmar uses Brite Tek on their gas Class A motorhomes. I have not heard of anyone having a problem with them and they are extremely durable.
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Dicor makes different products.
BriteTek has fleece backing on TPO. This is what was installed on my rig.
They have TPO and EDPM.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do not get the fleece backing, any minor leak will be wicked in under the TPO and cause more rot.

The primary differences (as I see it) is the TPO does not chalk like the EPDM and results in less black streaks on side walls. Also, the TPO stays white whereas the EPDM can chalk to the point that the material shows the black underneath.

The EPDM may be easier to install due to strength/thickness but I'm only guessing on that point.

Whatever you do, install the new material on new wood decking.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
don't get the fleece backed variety. years back it was discontinued by at least one rv manufacturer as any tear would allow water to wick in and rot out the underlayment.
bumpy

If you tore it, then you had a problem. IF you did not fix the tear, then you had rot. Doug

are you saying that my memory is incorrect? that one mfr had this issue with felt back TPO and went to a different TPO?
bumpy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
TPO is the better way to go. You will be redecking the roof? If not, your repair will not last. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have Alpha Ply TPO on my trailer. I also replaced a hot mop roof on my house with it. 12 year warranty. I'm happy after 4 years.
click
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When our roof was damaged by tree, we had TPO installed.
The shop refused to install roof over the luan ply. They talked with insurance company and agree on price. Insurnce company waived my deductible.
Shop removed luan, installed 1/4 plywood, used floor seal compound over all the seems prior to installing TPO.
It has sevred us very good over many years. I would recommend TPO!
You can get TPO through many roofing vendors in our rea. Many commercial buildings are using it. Same installation as Dicor product.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow