cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The New Generation Of 12-Volt DC Relays

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Solid-State-Relay-SSR-40-DD-DC-DC-40A-3-32VDC-Input-5-60VDC-Output-for-Y...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Heat-Sink-for-Solid-State-Relay-SSR-Small-Type-Heat-Dissipation-10A...

Inexpensive. Zero contacts to corrode or burn. Control voltage can be miniscule down to three volts. Can be fifty feet away from switch using 18-gauge wire. If mounted with care, sharing an equal load manifold wiring split I have paired these critters and shot 70-amps through them for weeks at a time. Voltage drop is in milliamps. But they must be fused. I recommend 35-amp fuses.
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You mentioned the Opto-isolator

For my digital adapter for my ham radio I wished to completely DC isolate the Computer and radio side.

Thus both transmit and receive audio pass through transformres

But what of the keying line (PTT)? Opto isolator (home made) consisting of an I/R LED and an I/R Photo Transistor and a LED indicaator and a switch

Circuit as follows

Computer RS-232 out (Via FTDI USB Adapter) to LED assembley and I/R diode (This way I have a visual indication of when the computer wants to talk)

Switch in series with Opto-transistor to Transmitter KEY line and ground.

This way I can DISABLE the computers ability to key the rig (Safety/testing feature).

Works great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dclark1946 wrote:
Salvo wrote:
They do have some not-so-great specs:

On resistance: as high as 25 mohm

Off leakage current: 2 mA

Given time, the leakage current can run down the battery.

The on resistance of a mechanical relay may be 10x better.

Can you still get latching relays that have all the low contact resistance advantages and only draw power when changing state?

Dick
Yes, one common RV application is for the salesman switch. ie A small switch by the door connects/disconnects some/most/all house battery loads. The latching solenoid itself which handles the heavy loads is usually located elsewhere.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:

Can you still get latching relays that have all the low contact resistance advantages and only draw power when changing state?

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's what I use in our motorhome to automatically connect the atternator to the coach batteries. I replaced the El Cheapo one Winnebago built in with one of these 12 volt continuos duty models with silver alloy contacts for long term life with very little contact corrosion or pitting:

http://shopping.murcal.com/core/media/media.nl?id=24366&c=650659&h=e837048320f960d2122e&_xt=.pdf
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Checked what Crydom has to offer? Been using those for years.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
HTElectrical wrote:
100a
That one is for switching AC. Maybe a DC one will become available?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
100a
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A proper size heat sink bonded by heatsink thermal paste is absolutely necessary. One of the links is to a $2.95 heatsink from China.

The solid state relays contain a optocoupler for ABSOLUTE isolation between load and switch. A good size MOSFET transistor, some small capacitors, resistors, and a freewheeling diode. Unlike an NPN MOSFET device, the solid state DC relays are connected to the POSITIVE or NEGATIVE side of a load to be switched.

If I get a chance I'll do a write-up with links how to do a suppressor circuit for these relays that protects against transient voltage spike damage.

There are rumbles coming from the China manufacturers that a 100-amp version is in the works. It'll need quite the heat sink.

I used to use rubber encapsulated mercury filled relays. They were shockingly expensive but resisted burning of the contacts. The arcing takes place when the contacts part not when they engage.

These relays switch so fast I am using them for 90 Hz LED strobe feeds.

I leave black anodized aluminum heatsink mounting surfaces alone but with shiny aluminum heatsinks and mirror-like bottoms of solid state relays I scuff them with 400 sandpaper. Arctic Silver SILVER heatsink compound is another very useful thing to employ to get the heat away from the device and into the heatsink.

I would tend to discourage the use of a solid state relay in an engine starter motor solenoid circuit. Too many transients and too little benefit over a stout Ford starter motor fender mounted solenoid. Actually a relay but no one calls them that.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wish I new about these last year, I had to replace battery relays for over $20 apiece. When I opened them up the contacts were burned. I assume there are diodes inside that do the switching?

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
They have 24V-380V 40A 250V SSR-40 DA Solid State Relay Module 3-32V DC To AC also.
Do you have to use the heat sink?
DC - Ac
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
These are DIRECT CURRENT ONLY relays.

Both the control and POWER circuits can not control alternating current only DC.

These things are encapsulated. No corrosion. The external terminals are nickel plated.

They activate and remain on with few scant milliamps of power. A TYCO relay uses around 80ma of power for the coil. These things use around 5 ma.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
A DC powered water heater? Man you gotta have onehellofa battery bank!

Not when you are just using the DC to turn AC to electric element ON/OFF.

Atwood WHs have been that way for 11 yrs.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A DC powered water heater? Man you gotta have onehellofa battery bank!