cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Plug In" generator transfer switch/relay?

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our used 2017 Coachman Leprechaun Class C I failed to notice that we have to plug in the power cord into a receptacle every time after starting the generator.
I didn't think of this or notice the sticker stating this at the time of purchase.

My old Jayco class C had the auto transfer switch so I thought they all did..

Anyway, Does anyone know of a 'plug in' relay or transfer switch that I could leave pluged in between the 30amp shore cable and the receptacle for generator power, to eliminate the need to go outside to use the generator?

Any info greatly appreciated

( Last year on on 9K mile trip in the Leprechaun , we didn't need the generator at anytime over 2 months.}
34 REPLIES 34

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
DancinCampers wrote:
If leaving the cord plugged in to generator, just turn main breaker off before starting gen, then after gen comes up to speed turn main breaker on.

X-2 on above. PLUS like said, that needs to be a DPDT switch or relay.

Dusty

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished installing a parallax 30amp ( BEST Converter.com) ATS in my motorhome, and let me tell you whomever thought it was good idea to engineer and design where the installation of the PDP and ATS under the bath sink was smoking *ra!k. I have an old wfco PDP(which i refurbished) and the ATS was chattering something fierce. Oh and the climate control "brain" is under there too, water /electric. Hopefully your power is no where near water.
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I'd be afraid to use a pair of SPDT relays in place of a single DPDT. I can't draw a diagram to back the thought up, but it seems that if one relay "picked" and the other did not (say a coil failure), we could end up with problems.

As you deliberate this project, bear in mind there are entry level 30-Amp ATS units starting around $50.

If the genset is a recent model like ONAN 4KY, it won't supply AC to the ATS (or the coil in a home made one) until its logic board verifies it's good to go. So an ATS with its own power evaluation would be redundant.

So does this mean you can just leave the house power cord plugged into the generator receptacle and the generator will not provide the power until its 'good to go', eliminating the need for a ATS?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Storm coming...

I switch to batteries before the storm hits. When it's nice and dry. And I suffer more storms than most on this forum. I am wise enough to CHECK generator oil and coolant BEFORE starting it up after a storm.

Because of GLOW PLUGS, turbo charger, etc. I have a 5-minute run up before I switch on the governor. 550 advanced to 1,200 RPM

It is common to receive one inch per hour during tropical storms.

My BiPAP is on a dedicated Group 29 Lifeline AGM separate from the hotel batteries

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
We have medical equipment running at night , not practical to go out in storm to switch fro ped to gen. Need transfer switch insure ease of switch-over.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How to convert ANY transfer switch to PLUG IN.

You need an Automatic Transfer Switch (30 or 50 amp matching your RV)

Option 1: Two male pigtails (30 or 50 amp same as RV) and one Female (likewise)

A way to LABEL the male plugs (paint or P-Touch)

Hook the FEMALE pigtail to the LOAD terminals on the ATS

Hook one male to GENERATOR.. label this plug GENERATOR or G

Hook the other to MAIN/SHORE terminals Label S or Shore

Seal it up in a box. job done

Option 2

IF your RV has a shore cord that is ATTACHED you may find a spot where you can cut it, use the part continuing into the RV in place of the FEMALE pigtail above
Use the part you cut off in place of the SHORE
And only use a single short pigtale (NOTE: get one with a plug that matches the generator if you do this) for the Generator (or have one made up sepcial, any electrical supply can do it)

NOTE: Pay attention to wire colors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
That DPDT that Jim@ just posted is a quality brand, too. Be tempting to use two of those $8 SPDT's but I'd really be afraid of it.

What I need to do, is figure out how to quickly "wire around" and ATS failure. Bummer when a single component can disable power from both sources. Our first Class C had that "plug into yourself" manual transfer and I really liked the reliability of it. Exception: Midnight thunderstorm. Dark and pouring rain. Campground power goes out. "Honey, Please start the Generator..."
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be afraid to use a pair of SPDT relays in place of a single DPDT. I can't draw a diagram to back the thought up, but it seems that if one relay "picked" and the other did not (say a coil failure), we could end up with problems.

As you deliberate this project, bear in mind there are entry level 30-Amp ATS units starting around $50.

If the genset is a recent model like ONAN 4KY, it won't supply AC to the ATS (or the coil in a home made one) until its logic board verifies it's good to go. So an ATS with its own power evaluation would be redundant.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
And here's one relay that Amazon carries that would work:

30 Amp contactor
It appears that this contactor is a single through. A double throw (DPDT) would be needed for a transfer switch.
Make sure that the NC and NO contacts are the same current rating.

It is a double pole, but I failed to notice that it's a single throw. Rats. Well, can't say it's not an attractive contactor though. And a great price.

Here's one, but at almost $40 I'd be looking at my other suppliers...I know there's one or several out there somewhere.

DPDT Contactor
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:

30 Amp contactor
It appears that this contactor is a single through. A double throw (DPDT) would be needed for a transfer switch.
Make sure that the NC and NO contacts are the same current rating.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Some companies are now making inverter/chargers with inputs for both shore power, generator and even solar that also have automatic transfer switches (Samlex).

Get rid of your converter/charger (you just need the DC distribution panel) which you wire directly (via a fuse of course) to your house bank and you are all set.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer

30 Amp contactor

And the box to mount it in:

Bud Box

After buying some nice terminals, and other items, and adding some sweat equity, your own ATS for under $50.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Here's that schematic of a home built ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). It can be either a single DPDT, or two SPDT relays with the coils (and only the coils) wired in parallel. They can be 30 amp too if you tend to be frugal with electrical usage. The grounds are just all connected together. I'd recommend using the best high quality parts when connecting things together. As it's wired, the genset has to come up to speed and properly present it's voltage to the relay before it operates. So no delay needed for most applications.

When operating, it's important to note that this is a 'dumb' ATS, not like today's smart devices that sense when the AC voltage passes through ground before it switches so there's never a spark or problems downstream with any live electronic devices like TVs or computers. Just like the old days where you had to shut most stuff down before starting the genset.

And finally, I'm aware the word 'continuous' is spelled wrong on the drawing.

Thank you!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Here's that schematic of a home built ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). It can be either a single DPDT, or two SPDT relays with the coils (and only the coils) wired in parallel. They can be 30 amp too if you tend to be frugal with electrical usage. The grounds are just all connected together. I'd recommend using the best high quality parts when connecting things together. As it's wired, the genset has to come up to speed and properly present it's voltage to the relay before it operates. So no delay needed for most applications.

When operating, it's important to note that this is a 'dumb' ATS, not like today's smart devices that sense when the AC voltage passes through ground before it switches so there's never a spark or problems downstream with any live electronic devices like TVs or computers. Just like the old days where you had to shut most stuff down before starting the genset.

And finally, I'm aware the word 'continuous' is spelled wrong on the drawing.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02