cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps are stuck fully retracted.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Problem Solved! Thanks to everyone, especially DougRainer!

I went to the rig early and found out I had room enough to work without pulling out into the sun. Followed Doug's instruction(I don't like Hitting Things that can Break)Tap the motor, nothing, hit again nothing. Remembered to start the engine, tapped the motor, SUCCESS!!!! New motor is the same as I bought for my Bounder, ACI 83094. Arrives tomorrow at 12:00, will install on Monday and bring the rig home to pack.

Long story short, a couple of weeks ago DGD and fiance used the rig for a few days while their house was tented. I delivered to CG and took back to storage. Yesterday, I went to the storage yard and batts were very low. Nothing would work. Don't know why yet but will by Monday because we leave Tuesday for summer.

Today got the batteries charged but the steps wont operate. From past experience, and dissecting other posts here, it appears to be the motor. I am intimately familiar with pre-1995 steps that were updated to the Normally Open door switch and lift motor, but these are 2002 and somewhat new to me. The problem is that there isn't much room to get to the motor for removal and the clevis pin is virtually invisible. Other than trying the percussive persuasion on the motor and hoping it will then operate at least once, what can you do to extend the steps and remove the motor?

Tomorrow it is supposed to reach 106 at the storage yard, I can't spend much time laying on the asphalt even with a heavy moving pad to lay on and I have verified all the electrical components except the controller and only skipped that because I didn't have my steps manual with me.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
11 REPLIES 11

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for all the reply's. I was on gravel in a C G and had no way to do anything. I'm now at my son's house on concrete with tools.
N4FAP

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
With the engine running, have someone open and close the entry door to engage the step switch. With a hammer, whack on the silver part of the motor when the step light starts to come on when the door is opened. Do this, until the motor engages and extends. THEN REPLACE THE MOTOR. No Motor handy? Remove the motor and tie up the steps in the retracted position until you get a replacement motor. If you do NOT, the steps will fail again and you will have to do this all over again. Doug

Being alone, I moved the door with my head and pulled the two wire motor cable apart, achieved the same thing. Steps strapped up for now.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thank Yous to all. I am going out to the storage yard in a few minutes and hopefully get a better look. Unfortunately I will be by myself but I will follow Doug's suggestion. Like I said the steps in my 1990 Bounder were easily repaired, I could even remove the hairpin clip from the linkage clevis pin, these things are a beggar.

I have tried all of the things mentioned to get it open but the one from Doug. I followed the trouble shooting instructions as best I could without having access to any wires to temporarily connect to the battery. I'v got everything I need to finish testing and to apply percussive persuasion to the motor. The motor is acting as I have experienced in the past, bad spot and yet I don't out of habit hit things with hammers unless it is the last resort.

We live in an older section of Los Angeles with very narrow and steep streets and I try not to have the rig in front of the house except to load and unload. We plan on leaving Tuesday and I didn't want to bring it home until Monday. Weekends are impossible with so many folks home and making things more difficult for our 33.5 foot rig in the curves. But if I can't get the motor to turn, I'll bring it home where I can get some help and where I have all my tools.

So wish me luck and I add more on the morrow.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the tap the motor a few times.. I use the rubber HANDLE of a hammer (not the head) or a long walking stick.

DOes not matter if door is open or closed. but open door after you get outta dodge (from under the RV) Have had to do this many times.

once you have them extended you can disassemble the Transmission and simply move the gear a tooth or two and re-assemble. see if that helps.

On Kwikee steps the only "Sensor" is the door switch. And a current sensor in the controller. So you do not need to worry about changing any "Adjustments" when you do this.. The motor turns off because when the steps hit the physical stop the motor stalls and current increases.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
With the engine running, have someone open and close the entry door to engage the step switch. With a hammer, whack on the silver part of the motor when the step light starts to come on when the door is opened. Do this, until the motor engages and extends. THEN REPLACE THE MOTOR. No Motor handy? Remove the motor and tie up the steps in the retracted position until you get a replacement motor. If you do NOT, the steps will fail again and you will have to do this all over again. Doug

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the same problem. The mobile mechanic loosened the gear box (3 bolts) then reinstalled it. He said the gears will sometimes jam. and if it happens again I should replace the motor and gears.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
NOT a permanent fix, but open the door with the switch turned on and tap on the motor with a small hammer. Hopefully it will free up the motor at least temporarily.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Long story short, a couple of weeks ago DGD and fiance used the rig for a few days while their house was tented. I delivered to CG and took back to storage. Yesterday, I went to the storage yard and batts were very low. Nothing would work. Don't know why yet but will by Monday because we leave Tuesday for summer.

Today got the batteries charged but the steps wont operate. From past experience, and dissecting other posts here, it appears to be the motor. I am intimately familiar with pre-1995 steps that were updated to the NO door switch and lift motor, but these are 2002 and somewhat new to me. The problem is that there isn't much room to get to the motor for removal and the clevis pin is virtually invisible. Other than trying the percussive persuasion on the motor and hoping it will then operate at least once, what can you do to extend the steps and remove the motor?

Tomorrow it is supposed to reach 106 at the storage yard, I can't spend much time laying on the asphalt even with a heavy moving pad to lay on and I have verified all the electrical components except the controller and only skipped that because I didn't have my steps manual with me.

If you are certain that your steps operate off of battery power supplied by coach batteries, then I have no advice. If you can start the engine, try the steps while the chassis engine is running. I'm not familiar with older coach steps power supply configurations, but the newer ones operate off the engine battery so that the fail safe auto-retract will function, even when the coach battery disconnect switch is in the disconnect position.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest just buying a set of those folding plastic steps and use those on your way north or to the lake or where ever it's cooler you're planning of going to.

The steps will wait until it's cooler and you can work on them in a more comfortable place.

I wonder though, maybe you just have one or more of the switches in the wrong position? Or one of the salesman's switches is OFF?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might discoonnect the motor leads and apply 12volts directly to the motor to verify
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter