cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar to inverter to make all plugs work?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have 200w Renogy solar panels to recharge my batteries when we boondock but I would like to run an 1000 or so watt inverter and run it into all of the existing electrical outlets inside the TT. How do I do this and not short anything out when I plug into a outside source for electricity at a campground? Please simplify because I am an electrical idiot. LOL
I just want to be able to use all plugs when boondocking as well as when we have full hookups at a campground and don't want to burn anything up when I do plug up to an outside power source.
I am planning on running probably 6 100w panels through 4 6 volt batteries in the future.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
9 REPLIES 9

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Byrogie wrote:
When boondocking:
Plug shore power cord to inverter.
Turn off breakers for converter, A/C, and electric water heater.
Fridge and water heater on propane.
Good to go.......

That one line is CRITICAL !!

X2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Byrogie wrote:
When boondocking:
Good to go.......

That one line is CRITICAL !!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
but I would like to run an 1000 or so watt inverter and run it into all of the existing electrical outlets inside the TT.

While that is possible most folks find that it's not practical.

For one thing, it probably won't run the microwave or a hair dryer or a "real" vavuum cleaner or a toaster oven.....the list goes ON and ON.

Do you NOT have a generator ? How about air conditioning ??

And we've had only a few responses so far and one person says 1000 W is too much.....and another says it's not enough.
To GET 1000 W from the batteries, the inverter would draw about 83 amps. That's a LOT.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two or three different ways

1: There is a type of inverter called "in-line" This type of inverter has AC in and out as well as DC in/out. It can charge the batteries if you have shore power and contains all the needed switching.. That is what I use in fact.

Foot note: though more expensive.. TRUE SINE is the preferred inverter and though I always thought MSW were more efficient. turns out that is not so.

Next you have "Stand along" inverters. these have 12 volt IN and 120vac OUT
You an use a common AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH (a small one, say 30 amp) Feed SHORE power to the GENERATOR terminals. Inverter to the SHORE terminals (I know that sounds backwards but this means if shore power is present it will switch over).

Or you can use a manual transfer system. One is a "Transfer switch" you can get at an electrical supply, this is a 3 position On/Off/ON switch rated for 20-30 amps Mains/Off/Inverter.

Or when my 30 amp transfer failed I put in a special outler and MANULLY move a plug from MAINS to Inverter for one circuit... the one powering this laptop just now.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in bill-e's camp. I have two 120 plugs that are fed by the inverter and wouldn't mess with what you propose.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
When boondocking:
Good to go.......

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You just need a small transfer switch for each branch circuit. Probably two.

http://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

If the converter or fridge is on one of the circuits you will need to move them or remember to turn off.

Are you sure you need 1000 watts? Much easier to install 300 watts.

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
And if you really wanted to run everything off an inverter you would first need to calculate your expected load and then size your solar, batteries and inverter for that load....it's going to be larger than a 1000w inverter.
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
To run ALL outlets off the inverter you can simply turn off your REC/CON (converter) breaker and plug your shore power cord into your inverter.

No worry about shorting because when you want to use shore power again, you unplug it from your inverter.

There are other more complex ways to accomplish this using a transfer switch an/or subpanel.

I think most people just install a separate outlet or two in the RV and plug those into the inverter. That way the inverter circuit is totally separated from the shore power circuit.
Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel