cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Height

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted this at the end of a old thread but I think it has ran it's course.

After viewing many photos of RV Solar Panel installs I see a big difference in the distance between the roof of the RV and the solar panel. Some appear less than a inch some 5" OR 6" from the roof to panel.

In my case I used Renogy two piece mounting brackets and as low as I could go is about 3" on the ends. My roof has a curve so a little less in the center of the panel.

I have to admit I like the look of the panels being closer to the roof but what is the ideal or is there a ideal recommended height for solar panels.

I did read that 3" is minimum with 4" to 6" preferred but not sure if they were referencing RV's or solar panels in general.

Apparently the height has to to with heat from the solar panels, just how hot does it get under there?

Any thoughts?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
11 REPLIES 11

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have mine less than an inch but thats on an alumium roof. I think that 2 to 6" guidline is ment for house roofs that are ashfalt shingles or what ever there made of now. the higher temps can let the grit come loose.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Weytly
Explorer
Explorer
What I love about solar panels, other than the obvious, is they actually protect your roof from damaging sunlight. I was looking for a solar that can recommend. I asked my friends for advice and looked at reviews on the Internet. For example https://solwiser.com/am-solar-panel-reviews/ . I established 1 1/2 inches. They are supposed to work better when off their above the roof for cooling.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got about 2" under my panel and none of my RV's have caught fire yet from the heat...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Make it as low as possible.
Some guys have super high mounts to clear objects on the roof as otherwise the panels would not fit between the objects.
Some might be trying to get above any shadows that the object could cast.
Some have high mounts because the mounts they bought are high, no other reason.
Some have them high bc they have it set up to be able to rotate the panels at an angle when parked, so need the extra wiggle room.
Others yet have absurdly high mounts bc they are crazy.

The panels do need an air gap so the air can circulate, it can get hot under those black cells.
How much of a gap is debatable, but 1/2 an inch will allow cooling. Yes, a big gap will allow more cooling, but that small gap will circulate plenty of air.

Keep in mind you will be driving and if you care about the mpg's a lower stack is better.
I prefer the panels low to the roof where minimal wind turbulence will occur.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having a solar array rack not like the one in the picture which looks pretty fixed but one that could tilt all the panels remotely would be pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IndjBauuRc
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Mine are as close as possible given a curved roof.

If I redo the system in summer of 2022, I'll have a rack that is above the air conditioner.

Now that would be something to see going down the road.

Rack is the way to go. It avoids shading and gives you maximum use of space.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

If I redo the system in summer of 2022, I'll have a rack that is above the air conditioner.

Now that would be something to see going down the road.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are less than two inches. Five, six inches would be funny lookinโ€™ IMO.

Being a Westerner, the heat of stick-on panels would be terrible. Has thecupping issue been solved? Is the warranty now equal to rigid panel warranties?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah mine are maybe 1 1/2 inches. They are supposed to work better when off their above the roof for cooling.

"I did read that 3" is minimum with 4" to 6" preferred but not sure if they were referencing RV's or solar panels in general."

But on the other hand people are sticking those flexible panels right on their roofs. Zero spacing.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are at a height of maybe an inch or two, as determined by the standard commercial mounts that allow tilting. They've been up there for a decade, in almost constant sun, in 90F or more temps (not Death Valley heat) and my rubber roof shows no signs of heat damage.

What I love about solar panels, other than the obvious, is they actually protect your roof from damaging sunlight.

The panels that scare me are the flexible ones I see plastered directly on a roof. Those things get really hot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman