Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing a Camper Trailer Stabilizing Jack

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!

I had an issue with my camper trailer as one of the stabilizing jacks was missing when I bought it. I ordered one of the most popular jacks on Amazon, and it came with "self-tapping screws" for installation, which we used to attach it to the existing holes. My other three jacks are attached to the frame using screws.
Can you help alleviate my doubts: would using four of these self-tapping screws be sufficient for secure attachment? It feels like it's firmly attached with them.

If the manufacturer supplies jacks with these self-tapping screws, then it must be intended for this purpose.
Please share your experiences guys
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
There is a reason they are welded on from the factory. If you're going to keep with the bolts, get actual bolts and lock washers and nylock nuts and put them on. those screws will vibrate loose as you drive.

What he said.
And while it seems unlikely, that they would just vibrate loose, self tappers do. Even with thread locker. I zipped a new step on the frame of my snomachine trailer with self tappers.
Even with threadlocker they came loose repeatedly.
Thereโ€™s room to bolt them up. Nylock, lock washers, loctite etc. whatever combo you like.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My 2005 trailer was manufactured with self tapping screws holding the stabilizer jacks to the frame. Thirteen years later the stabilizers are still there under the trailer.

As has been said the screws are just to hold the jack to the frame during travel. When in use the majority of the holding force is the jack pushing up on the frame from the ground.

But if it is a concern you could go to Home Depot and get a few appropriately sized bolts and nuts and replace the screws. If access is difficult you don't even need to replace all the screws. Just replace the one or two that you have easy access to.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
neu wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
The bolts donโ€™t really do anything except keep the stabilizer from falling off. All force is between the trailer frame and the stabilizer frame. With the wheels properly chocked there should be no lateral movement.

My question is solely about my concern, or is there a risk of it falling apart while driving. So, from your perspective, is there nothing for me to worry about?

Not stabilizers as such, but I added JT Strongarm stabilizer struts to my front jacks and rear stabilizers on my 5er using self tapping bolts thru the frame. After 12 years they never loosened.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about the screws, get some bolts and lock washers.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Self-tapping will probably be okay, but if you have room to get to the screws, use regular bolts and lock washers. And provided the self-tapping screws are long enough, you could use a lock washer on them, or even some LockTite.

FWIW, they're probably welded from the factory because it quicker and cheaper, not necessarily better.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
There is a reason they are welded on from the factory. If you're going to keep with the bolts, get actual bolts and lock washers and nylock nuts and put them on. those screws will vibrate loose as you drive.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

neu
Explorer
Explorer
98coachman wrote:
You will be fine. Go camping and enjoy !!

Thanks!!!

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine. Go camping and enjoy !!

neu
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
The bolts donโ€™t really do anything except keep the stabilizer from falling off. All force is between the trailer frame and the stabilizer frame. With the wheels properly chocked there should be no lateral movement.

My question is solely about my concern, or is there a risk of it falling apart while driving. So, from your perspective, is there nothing for me to worry about?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad