cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schwintek slide maintenance

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you do the recommended lubrication with CRC Power Lube on Schwintek slides, over time the aluminum gear racks on the side of the slides will begin loading up with dried lube and dirt. The black deposits are unsightly and hold grit that will not enhance the life of the gears. I've found that the little plastic containers that "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" are the perfect thing for holding some mineral spirits to clean the rack with. Hold the container under the rack and use a small paintbrush to wash the track off with the crud dripping down into the container. Wipe with a clean rag then give a fresh squirt of lube (Google "Schwintek slide lubrication" for good videos showing how) and you will be ready for another 6 months!
2 REPLIES 2

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll try that next time. I cleaned mine with carburetor cleaner in a spray can.
This because the rack gear teeth had some goo at the bottom of the u-shaped on each gear.

The Schwintek video shows them using a bent straw on the CRC can to spray the gear block behind the exterior seal. What's up with that?

The CRC is not a true dry lube. It has some sort of liquid lubricant as far as I can tell.
A true "dry lube" would be graphite - which is available in a spray can. However, it is black and not pretty.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine