cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof membrane , different replacement!

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ripped off the rubber roof and fiberglassed it like a boat? Or maybe I should use aluminum. Like 8x20 sheets so there is only an edge seam and one in the middle? Any thoughts?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.
24 REPLIES 24

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a point of interest, the newer Open Range use PVC on the roofs. Pros? Cons?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I'm going to check out the spray on stuff but will probably lay some glass. Unfortunately. Lol. I'll take some pictures no matter what way I go.
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber roof replaced with fiberglass then painted. As done by the Famous Tioga George (he is still rv'ing it ) He had it done on his rig in Mexico by a small boat building outfit in . It came out great from my point of view. Rubber roofs on RV's are the thickness of a bicycle tube. It might have a chance of lasting if it was a comercial grade PVC/rubber roof but they're not. In my opinion fiberglass is the best material for RV roofs. If you remove your roof, I bet you will find the aluminum edge trim puncturing it in several places. Meaning it was leaking there from day 1 installation at the factory.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hammer - I think once you get in there you'll discover that the wood around the AC penetrations have been wicking up water and rotted. This is the most likely reason for the sag around the unit. Cut back to good wood and patch before you recoat. We had a bus in the shop last week with the same problem. And you're right; left unfixed and you'll end up with the A/C inside the trailer. It may be on the next bump.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve heard people talk about something called Bus Kote. I have no personal experience with this product but thought it would be helpful to mention it -
Bus Kote
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
hammer21661 wrote:
Has anyone ripped off the rubber roof and fiberglassed it like a boat? Or maybe I should use aluminum. Like 8x20 sheets so there is only an edge seam and one in the middle? Any thoughts?

Fiberglass is definitely a DIY job. Not easy, but doable.

Likely it will take 2 or even 3 sheets of 'glass (NOT chop strand or roving).

Yes, it will add weight, but not really that much. There are lots of YouTube videos about boat people replacing a deck/floor. The biggest downside to fiberglass is that it does have to be painted to prevent UV damage.

Aluminum would be better, but it is difficult to source in large sheets and probably requires more work to install. If you go this way, you need stainless steel screws with rubber washer. Use butyl tape under/around all seems. a properly installed aluminum roof will last a long, LONG time !

Remember most leaks occur around seems/joint. Roof protrusion need proper flashing and caulking. I would replace the side molding with RainKap

Read this !

Replace all screws with stainless steel.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go with aluminum don't use sheets up there. Use a one piece seamless to cover the roof in one shot. Also I would recommend white as those old mill finnish aluminum roofs on our older rv's were hot in the summer. Aluminum roofs are noiser in a downpour.
The more lap joints/holes and screws up there only increases the chance for more maintenance and better chance for water intrusion (leaks).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
hammer21661, โ€œIF , you have a fairly expensive rv and plan on keeping it a long time.... this may be something to check out. This method is expensive, but IMO worth it, if you meet the opening disclosure. FlexArmor!! The application requires everything be removed from roof, any roof repairs completed, all mounting hardware ( for acโ€™s, satellite systems, vents,etc.) put back on roof, then the material is sprayed on. Once done there are โ€œnoโ€ seams/joints, and โ€œnoโ€ perforations through the roof. It carries a โ€œlifetimeโ€ warranty. There are videos on YouTube showing how it is done, the strength of the material, and actual application process. If nothing else...the video is informative. Technology is evolving almost daily on many things...RV roofing is also evolving.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
There have been several people who have replaced their rubber roof with a different material. It tends to run several thousand dollars, so it just depends on how badly you want a different roof.

If I don't I'll be making payments on something that's in the junkyard or the A/C is going to fall on me and kill me.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I replaced my 5 year old failed membrane rubber roof with This 2 years ago. If you search for my posts in early 2016 you should find lots of info.

I will never ever have another rubber roof longer than it takes to have it sprayed. And don't believe the 10-12 rubber roof warranty. I was offered $225.00 total compensation under my "warranty".

PM me for more details, but look at my posts first. 2 years later I'm sitting here right now under hard rain and not a single caulking joint or the rubber to leak.

I've been thinking about this too but I know how to lay glass and I know it'll be right when I finish. If it isn't right I only have myself to blame.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Whaโ€™s The matter with rubber and why are you changing the roof on a five year old unit?

It leaks. I've had 2 different people work on it and it is trash! It leaks around the front A/C, nothing inside yet but the screws on the light fixtures are rusty. The roof appears to be sagging around the unit and the wood is soft on the left side. I've taped it about 3 times and the flange around the A/C keeps cutting the membrane. I think it's puffing up from air tumbling while it's getting towed. The stuff has wrinkles sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s important to me to be able to walk on the roof. I might go up with s broom to sweep off debris before retracting the slides (which also have rubber roofs BTW) or to check any number of things. I wonder how well a metal or fiberglass roof would mix with some morning dew. I might come down sooner then planned. ๐Ÿ˜ž
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The fiberglass material on RVs is called Filon. You'll need to remove everything that penetrates the roof and work it like Tyvek on siding. It gets glued down and rolled out. After it adheres, go around with a laminate trimming router and cut out the openings.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 5 year old failed membrane rubber roof with This 2 years ago. If you search for my posts in early 2016 you should find lots of info.

I will never ever have another rubber roof longer than it takes to have it sprayed. And don't believe the 10-12 rubber roof warranty. I was offered $225.00 total compensation under my "warranty".

PM me for more details, but look at my posts first. 2 years later I'm sitting here right now under hard rain and not a single caulking joint or the rubber to leak.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010