cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof membrane , different replacement!

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ripped off the rubber roof and fiberglassed it like a boat? Or maybe I should use aluminum. Like 8x20 sheets so there is only an edge seam and one in the middle? Any thoughts?
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.
24 REPLIES 24

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are manufacturers who provide metal and fiberglass roofs.

As an after market, "the old rubber roof is shot" solution....With maintenance, the original roofs last 15-20yrs. By that point a replacement roof is more than the RV is worth, so it doesn't make financial sense.

PS: Define fiberglass like a boat? A cruising boat with a thin hull will be 1/4" thick. A heavily built hull can be an 1" or more thick. Even 1/4" on a 30' trailer will add upwards of 800lbs at the very highest point of the trailer. Not a good thing. The fiberglass roofs, I've see, are usually much thinner but then it takes a bit of design to avoid stress points or fiberglass will constantly be cracking.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
There was some company, a franchise no doubt, that did a "permanent roof" with something. Probably akin to bedliner spray, but I honestly don't remember.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
use Rhino lining, et.al.
bumpy

myself and several others have put rhino/linex etc. over plywood decking in toyhaulers and cargo trailers. We all have mixed feeling on it. Unlike in a truck bed, adhesion is not a strong point. while it's almost impossible to get these off a scuffed up metal base, over plywood adhesion is marginal. if it starts to come loose at an edge it is not hard at all to pull it off by hand. Thats after the installers claimed they have specific directions from rhino/linex etc. on how to install over plywood and it will stick as well as a truck bed.

yes it makes a good floor coating, easy to clean, great for toyhaulers, etc. but we all have to be careful about adhesion issues.

In all the cases it seemed to adhere real well for a few years, then after temp cycling, vibration etc. lifting at the corners
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Whaโ€™s The matter with rubber and why are you changing the roof on a five year old unit?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
use Rhino lining, et.al.
bumpy

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I would think a metal roof could be pretty noisy in a heavy rain storm compared to a rubber roof.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking that fiberglass would be a lot heavier than other alternatives. And you do not want a lot of weight at the top of your RV for stability reasons if nothing else. I have idly thought about using that corrugated metal roofing seen on a lot of buildings. The main issue would be sealing the edges. The roof would have to be mostly flat too, and the many cutouts seen on an RV roof would make it difficult.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
There have been several people who have replaced their rubber roof with a different material. It tends to run several thousand dollars, so it just depends on how badly you want a different roof.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
Shoot, gonna change that. Thanks
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
On a tow vehicle?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman