cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tank integrity test

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Had anyone heard of this? It made sense when 1 of the had stations said I needed a current test (within 10 years) - propane tanks are metal so of course their parts could corrode, malfunction, etc. over time.
I called Ferrellgas, American, Uhaul, nothing. They said try RV dealers- none of their service departments heard of it for an attached tank, only travel trailers with tanks that come off. I called some repair places and they didn't do it.
Is the test something any of you have done, and if so, where? How much, and how long does it take? Appreciate any help.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
15 REPLIES 15

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Doug is correct. Believe him. It is crazy the problems / excuses I have gotten when going to refill my frame mounted tank. Lots of mis information out there.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole re-certification is a joke to begin with. If the guy refilling is not afraid to refill it it gets the sticker. But for $5 what do you expect.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Motorhomes have ASME tanks. They are not required to be recertified. A Visual is all that is needed. Unless your State has strict LP requirement laws, the lack of knowledge by LP stations in other states is appalling. They are very different from Travel Trailer DOT portable tanks. DOT portables must be recertified every 10 years from date stamp on tank. Then every 5 years after that. Better to just buy a new tank than pay for recertification. Doug

If you have a 20 lb bottle that is up for recertification, just swap it out for a Blue Rhino.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Motorhomes have ASME tanks. They are not required to be recertified. A Visual is all that is needed. Unless your State has strict LP requirement laws, the lack of knowledge by LP stations in other states is appalling. They are very different from Travel Trailer DOT portable tanks. DOT portables must be recertified every 10 years from date stamp on tank. Then every 5 years after that. Better to just buy a new tank than pay for recertification. Doug

Actually, in this state at least, a visual inspection by a qualified propane dealer is all that is necessary. However, if that visual inspection leads to a corroded area, propane dealers here have a device that measures the depth of the corrosion and if that corrosion (pitting) is so deep (that have a chart to reference), the tank is deemed unfillable. That applies to stationary bottles (propane tanks are referred to as bottles, not tanks btw) as well as portable as in grill bottles. My good friend owns the local propane distributor, I asked him about just that a few weeks ago because I had just sandblasted and repainted my 2 stationary 500 gallon bottles.

Other states may have different requirements. Not sure but I know what Michigan requires.

I suggest your good friend is NOT that knowledgable. DOT LP portable tanks recerification is a FEDERAL mandate. Some States (Texas is one) also have strict STATE requirements that mirror DOT regulations. Doug

https://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cylinder-requalification-rule-to-impact-propane-marketers/

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
That applies to stationary bottles (propane tanks are referred to as bottles, not tanks btw) as well as portable as in grill bottles. My good friend owns the local propane distributor, I asked him about just that a few weeks ago because I had just sandblasted and repainted my 2 stationary 500 gallon bottles.

Other states may have different requirements. Not sure but I know what Michigan requires.

Your good friend should talk to Worthington Industries since they apparently don't know the correct names for their products. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ASME RV TANKS

PROPANE (LPG) CYLINDERS
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Actually, in this state at least, a visual inspection by a qualified propane dealer is all that is necessary. However, if that visual inspection leads to a corroded area, propane dealers here have a device that measures the depth of the corrosion and if that corrosion (pitting) is so deep (that have a chart to reference), the tank is deemed unfillable. That applies to stationary bottles (propane tanks are referred to as bottles, not tanks btw) as well as portable as in grill bottles. My good friend owns the local propane distributor, I asked him about just that a few weeks ago because I had just sandblasted and repainted my 2 stationary 500 gallon bottles.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I was as thin as my tanks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
The propane tanks in motorhomes are probably at least 1/4 inch thick steel, compared to a thin steel propane tank for travel trailers and 5th wheels. I would suppose that's why the portable tanks require recertification with age.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
"tanks" are tanks. "Cylinders" are cylinders and cylinders require recertification. Tanks DO NOT!

Tanks are permanently mounted. Cylinders are portable and easily removed.

If they don't believe you, they don't know their job.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Find another fill station. As others have said there's no requirement for ASME tanks permanently mounted, only portables. When your fill person doesn't know the difference, find another station.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

red31
Explorer
Explorer
'requalification'

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Untrained staff at propane refill station.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No requirement for permanent tank. Only for portable cylinders.