cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane hose pigtail replacement

jo-e90
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a reliable quality replacement or different idea in place of the cheap Chinese propane pigtail hoses and plastic acme adapter that does not leak right away or 6 months to a year?

Makes you wonder how many actually water spray test their hoses before each outing.
I think most would be surprised how many leaks are unknown.
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Marshall Excelsior.
I installed longer pigtails on my truck camper not long after I got it in 2020. Last year one of them started leaking. I replaced it and now keep a spare on hand.

Sometimes even the good ones leak.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have new pigtails made with rubber hose at Gas Equipment in Denver.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have taken old one to propane distributor with service department and had them made. Didnโ€™t cost any more and the hose seems to stay flexible much longer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced cheap leaking hoses on a Winnebego (super cheapo lighting too) with Marshalls.Also the regulator was leaking. Always had good results but I am just getting back after 7 years. Scary part was all the hoses leaked and you could smell it inside the unit. What was the last owner thinking?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Marshall Excelsior is made in the US. Everything.

Here is their camp and RV catalog. https://www.marshallexcelsior.com/sites/default/files/2021%20MEC%20RV%20Catalog.pdf

Very useful catalog with lots of information. For pigtails, you need to decide how long, braided metal jacket or not, and 1/4 pipe thread or 1/4 reverse flare.

Get the part numbers and go searching on Amazon or elsewhere and see what you find.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the Cavagna brand for a superior crimp and quality rubber hose.
Verify if you need the inverted-flare or 1/4 pipe thread before you click and buy.
Get the right length too.

https://www.amazon.com/Cavagna-190-0032-Acme-Pigtail-Hangtag/dp/B00FFAZCFS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon Propane pigtails

You have plenty to pick from, maybe you can find some made in the USA
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
First that "plastic acme adapter" is not designed to form a seal and does not need anything more than gentle hand tightening. The seal is formed between the brass fittings inside the adapter and inside the propane tank. It takes a lot of excessive force and probably use of a wrench to break one.

The hose is a different issue. The problem is the deterioration of the hose due to exposure to propane. This includes drying out and becoming brittle. Another issue is that the deterioration can result in an oily sludge making its way to the regulator. This is not a quality issue but more an issue with the standard materials being used regardless of country of origin. I have been replacing my hoses approximately every 5 years due to becoming stiff and potentially cracking especially in cold weather. I am now trying a "non-leaching" propane pig tail. It is a little more expensive but should last longer. Several companies sell this. Mine is from Marshall Excelsior.