cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with Champion generator

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new champion 2000 watt inverter generator a couple of weeks ago and it worked great these past two weekends. I went out earlier to winterize my TT so I fired it up and plugged in my trailer. Everything ran fine for a couple of minutes and the generator shut off all of a sudden. I fired it back up and it ran for a few seconds and shut off again. I unplugged it and hooked up my old generator to finish winterizing and all of a sudden the trailer lights went dim and the carbon monoxide detector showed a fault by flashing red and green. I shut everything down and the detector reset itself. I fired up my old generator again and everything worked normally. I finished winterizing my trailer it the brand new Champion gennie still wonโ€™t start. Iโ€™ve checked, gas, oil and pulled the spark plug to make sure it isnโ€™t fouled. Iโ€™m at a loss now. Is there something else I should check before I call Champion and if I have to call, how is their customer service?
33 REPLIES 33

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
and are you willing to add a remote electric start to your honda or yamaha? I wish I had purchased the Champion 3400 with remote electric start
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
72cougarxr7 wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
Had 2 champions. Spent the extra money on a Honda, Problem solved. Neighbors are talking to me again, lot less noise.

The noise levels are virtually the same between comparable Champion and Honda models.
X2
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
OK I have had several rounds with Champion customer service. First I have to say that they are good and responsive. Easy to contact most of the time. They will suggest fixes based on their assessment of your mechanical skill. And they will send you to a service center.

That's when things go downhill. My 3500 digital ran fine with one problem that was easily fixed. Then one week it started making loud noises and burning oil at a prodigious rate. Called the customer support guy in California, no problem the guy speaks english and after some diagnosis sends me to a not very local service center--Billy-Bobs Rental service (names changed ect) which was 40 minutes away.

OK Billy-Bobs takes in the generato, says they think the motor is fried and away I go. Call back a week later, they apparently stuck it in a corner somewhere, start calling every day based on the squeeky wheel theory. Finally after 2 weeks they diagnose the motor as bad, ring failure scored cylinder ect. They recommend Champion replace the genset, nope Champion want to send a new motor. OK takes 2 and a half weeks for Champion to send a motor and over a week for it to get here. And when it gots to Billy-Bobs who opens the box after 3 or 4 days, it's the WRONG motor.

I contact Champion, raise cain demand a new generator, Billy-Bob says he did the same. Champion finally agrees to send a new genset. Another 8 days passes until I get the call that it has arrived. If you add all this up it comes to almost 6 weeks.

Then the new generator has a problem, I'm afraid to call Champion again. Apprently a solinoid on the carb is bad and needs to be replaced. But it still runs AND

The backup generator, a 3500/4000 construction type fails. Can't pull the recoil starter cord. Champion diagnoses as maybe stuck valve that just need lube. Send me to Dave's which is closer. Dave seems to be a part time motor fixer tho, and he was skeptical of the diagnoses mumbling about a bad motor AGAIN.

Both of these Champions were bought in the spring. Anyway no word from Dave after 8 or 10 days. Left a message on his voice mail today.
what does any of this have to do with the OPโ€™s problem?

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Had 2 champions. Spent the extra money on a Honda, Problem solved. Neighbors are talking to me again, lot less noise.

The noise levels are virtually the same between comparable Champion and Honda models.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis12 wrote:

I won't argue on the reliability front, but the digital inverter models are quiet.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Hoppert

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Try unhooking the oil sensor wire.

After that I would try a spark plug.
My experience with Chinese engines is that the off brand spark plugs they come with are often hit or miss. I had one that looked fine but the engine would not start. Replaced with an NGK and ran fine ever since.

If these both fail, call Champion for further help.
Depending on how handy you are, they will give you a few things to check.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The #1 most common problem with small engines is ....

After some review, I want to change the sequence of tests. Some of theses are easier to do on some models than on others (especially small 2000W and under generators) that have the internals encased in plastic covers/housing.

#1 Spark check. Remove the spark plug. If it is very wet/oily or has other contamination on it, REPLACE it (SparkPlugs.com). Put the spark plug back into the boot (a dab of silicon dielectric grease of the very top and on the ceramic will make is slide in easily) and lay it on top of the engine so the the threads of the spark plug make goo contact with some metal part of the engine. Make sure the switch is ON and pull the cord. If you do not see spark, remove the oil level sensor wire and try again. If you still do not get a spark, it is time to see a professional.

#2 is validating fuel flow. With the spark plug still out, spray a little carburetor cleaner (or use a squirt bottle and gasoline). If you are trying to use a gas can and you get TOO MUCH gas in the hole, you have invalidated the test. Re-install the spark plug and pull the cord. If it does not fire after 2 or 3 pulls you have dirt blocking the fuel flow between the tank and the engine, most likely in the carburetor.

#3 is air flow. Almost never a problem unless you operate in EXTREMELY dusty conditions.

That is it ! The 3 things to make an engine run, spark, fuel and air !

MrWizard
agesilaus wrote:
Actually I cannot blame it all on Billy-Bob tho their shop seems to staffed with actually illiterate mechanics. Champion's shipping dept after all took 3 weeks to deliver the wrong motor.

not the experience i had, they were very quick to get me a carb, on one, and a starter relay

the oil sensor is on the side of the crank case
just one wire, just disconnect it, the switch grounds the ignition circuit to kill it if the oil is low

IIRC on the newer units the circuit is on lock out, unless the engine is running
there was a problem in some early 'open frame' models where the switch would get stuck during shipping with no oil in the crank case

and trouble shooting advice was to unplug the switch, start the genny, then connect the switch, if it stayed running all was good, if it shut down, they would send out a new oil switch
its all been posted in one of the other chinese generator threads
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The #1 most common problem with small engine is "dirt" blocking some passage inside of the carburetor. The quick way to verify this, remove the air filter and spray a little carburetor cleaner (or use a squirt bottle and gasoline) straight into the carburetor throat. Do NOT choke the engine, turn the switch ON and pull the starter cord. It it starts and die, you have a blockage somewhere in the carburetor. If you plan on cleaning the carburetor yourself use a flashlight and check into the fuel tank to see if there is any debris in there that will cause the carburetor to get clogged again.

If removing the air filter and shooting cleaner/gas into the carburetor is difficult, you can remove the spark plug ad add a VERY SMALL amount there.

The #2 most common problem is an issue with the oil level and/or its sensor. If you are certain the oil level is correct, disconnect the oil level sensor and see if it will start.

#3, but really not that common, is a bad spark plug. You should always have a spare spark plug on hand. Use a known brand name (NGK, Denso, etc). Finding the right spark plug could be difficult, so shop SparkPlugs.com

Iโ€™m reading several forums and the low oil sensor seems to be an issue. Iโ€™m just not sure what to disconnect to see if it will start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The #1 most common problem with small engine is "dirt" blocking some passage inside of the carburetor. The quick way to verify this, remove the air filter and spray a little carburetor cleaner (or use a squirt bottle and gasoline) straight into the carburetor throat. Do NOT choke the engine, turn the switch ON and pull the starter cord. It it starts and die, you have a blockage somewhere in the carburetor. If you plan on cleaning the carburetor yourself use a flashlight and check into the fuel tank to see if there is any debris in there that will cause the carburetor to get clogged again.

If removing the air filter and shooting cleaner/gas into the carburetor is difficult, you can remove the spark plug ad add a VERY SMALL amount there.

The #2 most common problem is an issue with the oil level and/or its sensor. If you are certain the oil level is correct, disconnect the oil level sensor and see if it will start.

#3, but really not that common, is a bad spark plug. You should always have a spare spark plug on hand. Use a known brand name (NGK, Denso, etc). Finding the right spark plug could be difficult, so shop SparkPlugs.com

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I took the plug out and it looked a little dark and had some deposits on it. I did a google search and found several posts saying that the spark plugs in these generators are absolute junk and need to be replaced quick. They are called โ€œtorchโ€ brand plugs. Iโ€™m going to buy a better plug and see what happens.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I cannot blame it all on Billy-Bob tho their shop seems to staffed with actually illiterate mechanics. Champion's shipping dept after all took 3 weeks to deliver the wrong motor.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MrWizard
tell champion about your 'problems' with bill-bobs

they will most likely find you another shop, and also stop using billy-bob

its good business too keep your customer service 'REPUTATION' high
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service