cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powering a Backup Camera - Travel Trailer

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a little backup camera that I'd like to install on the back of my travel trailer. It's a "wireless" model, but that doesn't mean it is completely wireless. The camera is connected - by wires - to a transmitter, and the transmitter needs power. The directions that came with the camera assume you're installing it on a car, and they detail connecting to the wiring for the backup lights.

I want my camera to be able to operate whenever I'm underway - not just as a backup camera. So I'm not going to power it from the backup lights.

So here are a couple options I see:
(1) I can get power from the #4 pin (the aux 12v pin) on the 7-pin Bargman connector (and the ground from the #1 pin. This would mean, if I understand things correctly, I'd have power to the transmitter (and camera) whenever the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle. I realize I need to double check to make sure my tow vehicle is powering that #4 pin.

OR

(2) I can get power from the 12V battery system on board the trailer itself. Then, I guess it would be powered 24-7, unless I use the trailer 12V disconnect switch to turn off the 12V system.

There are probably other options, but I'm not really seeing a benefit to them at this point.

I think I like option #1 a lot better than option #2, but I'm looking for opinions here.

- Would it do any harm to have the camera powered 24-7 on the trailer's 12V system? Does it have a phantom draw? Would it shorten the life of the camera?

What have I not thought of?

Thanks in advance.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
6 REPLIES 6

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Tapping a marker light makes a ton of sense.

Thanks, everyone, for steering me right on this one.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
connected to marker lights on 2 different TT's. imo its safer to tow with lights on anyway. more visibility to other drivers (hopefully)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Airstream came from the factory with a backup camera. They wired it into the marker lights. If I want the camera operational, I turn on the marker lights (parking lights or headlights, either one).
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you how I did this....I tied it into the running lights so I do have to turn the parking lights on when I want the camera on but that's no big deal cause driving day or night, that's easy enough to do. I generally just switch the lights on and I'm good to go.

Guess others had the same thought and typed much faster than I!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The aux 12v pin will be connected to your trailer battery regardless if your truck powers it. This means your camera will be powered 24/7. I wouldn't call that phantom draw but actual draw since I'm guessing the camera always transmits when powered. The easiest option is to power it from the tail/running lights. Turn them on when underway or whenever you want to use the camera. They're off when you're parked.

I used the same idea years ago when adding a camera to a piece of tow behind farm machinery that already had work lights.

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
We connected the power to the running lights on our motorhome. Lights have to be on for the camera to work,